Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Courtenay wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:...I actually used Agatha's boathouse over at Greenway, in my continuation novel on this site - Rook's Rock Mystery.
Did Agatha herself come into it too, Julie? :wink: (I'd love to read your story too — I will once I've got around to reading all the original Barney mysteries first!)
Yes, I did mention her, Courtenay! :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Yes, I did mention her, Courtenay!
8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

No they are private houses now Chrissie.
I enjoyed this blog about a visit to Agatha's grave:

https://cemeteryclub.wordpress.com/2016 ... ies-grave/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's an account of my own visit:

http://share.pho.to/9fbrr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That's really cool, Pete — thanks for sharing. I'll have to let my mum know about Wallingford, as she's a big fan of Agatha Christie and might like to see it another time when she and Dad are visiting Britain. :D I did show Mum the Agatha Christie memorial in London when we were there once.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:No they are private houses now Chrissie.
I enjoyed this blog about a visit to Agatha's grave:
Thank you for the links, Pete!
We just watched a week ago "And then there were None" (2015) and loved it! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Here's an account of my own visit: http://share.pho.to/9fbrr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beautiful photos, Pete! 8)
I also like the b & w pic from AC with the river behind her (1950).

Do you know by any chance which village inspired St. Mary Mead?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

You may enjoy reading through this Chrissie:

St. Mary Mead

http://agathachristie.wikia.com/wiki/St._Mary_Mead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:

Proof of Same Universe Theory

So, the question: did Poirot and Marple actually exist in the "same" universe of Christie's? The answer would be "yes", through linking common facts together like a spider's web (or like the famous Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon!).

Poirot has met and collaborated with Mrs. Ariadne Oliver, the mystery writer, on many occasions.
Ariadne Oliver has met the Reverend Dane Calthorp and his wife in The Pale Horse.
Reverend Dane Calthorp and his wife are friends of Marple, as evidenced in The Moving Finger.
Two more connections can be made between Poirot and Marple, only indirectly.

Poirot met the young lady Katherine Grey from The Mystery of the Blue Train, having lived in St. Mary Mead.
St. Mary Mead is of course the village where Miss Marple lives (although some has dismissed this, saying that there are two villages with same name).
http://www.poirot.us/world.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I read in a Miss Marple book distances given between St Mary Mead and various 'real' places. I used a map to make out where the village would be. Sadly, I have forgotten where this was and which book it was in! :roll:

I read in a Miss Marple book distances given between St Mary Mead and various 'real' places. I used a map to make out where the village would be. Sadly, I have forgotten where this was and which book it was in! :roll:

Wikipedia states 12 miles from Eastbourne and 25 from London. I think we can ignore Eastbourne as no Paddington train would go anywhere near there. 25 miles from Paddington would take us to a small village bewteen Maidenhead and Slough. It could even be Bourne End, as that is 28 miles from Paddington!
Chrissie wrote:Julie, Nigel and Pete, which other books on Agatha Christie could you recommend when one would like to find out more about the AC crime novels and what inspired them?
Chrissie, I have three books to which I constantly refer. A Talent to Deceive - An Appreciation of Agatha Christie, by Robert Barnard (plot summaries of all her books are given - no spoilers!) and The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie, by Charles Osborne. The third, The Agatha Christie Who's Who, by Randall Toye, lists every character from every book, stating the name of the book and brief character description. Again, no spoilers.
I believe they might be out of print, but an internet search may well find copies.

I was also given The World of Agatha Christie, by Martin Fido, which makes an interesting read. Google* for further information, Chrissie.

*Other search engines are available
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:Chrissie, I have three books to which I constantly refer. A Talent to Deceive - An Appreciation of Agatha Christie, by Robert Barnard (plot summaries of all her books are given - no spoilers!) and The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie, by Charles Osborne. The third, The Agatha Christie Who's Who, by Randall Toye, lists every character from every book, stating the name of the book and brief character description. Again, no spoilers.
I was also given The World of Agatha Christie, by Martin Fido, which makes an interesting read. Google* for further information, Chrissie.
Thank you very much, Nigel, for this valuable information. 8)
I checked out our public library and found 3 books on AC's life, but unfortunately not one of the three that you recommend (and no, I never read one of your earlier posts on these 3 books).
So I will try to get them via British amazon in the winter.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:You may enjoy reading through this Chrissie
So, the question: did Poirot and Marple actually exist in the "same" universe of Christie's? The answer would be "yes", through linking common facts together like a spider's web (or like the famous Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon!).
Thank you, Pete!
I printed it out as I have so many book marks that my computer no longer keeps the new ones that I add (my husband thinks I need to delete a few hundred bookmarked websites :roll: ).
The link with the village map is beautiful!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:Chrissie, I have three books to which I constantly refer. A Talent to Deceive - An Appreciation of Agatha Christie, by Robert Barnard (plot summaries of all her books are given - no spoilers!) and The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie, by Charles Osborne. The third, The Agatha Christie Who's Who, by Randall Toye, lists every character from every book, stating the name of the book and brief character description. Again, no spoilers.
I was also given The World of Agatha Christie, by Martin Fido, which makes an interesting read.
Nigel, I'm thrilled!!! 8) 8) 8)
You've made my day. :D
Thank you.
I just checked WPL for these 4 books: our public library has them all (even in hardcovers!).
Thank you for the recommendations.

About a week ago I checked for "Agatha Christie" as a keyword, but only 4 biographies came up in our library database which I requested. However, when I searched for these 4 authors (Barnard, Fido, Osborne and Toye), all their AC biographies came up.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The three books Nigel lists really are excellent source material for the Agatha Christie fan. I'm sure you will enjoy them Chrissie.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

I'm convinced of it, Pete! :D
If I may I'll write in a few days/weeks about my impression once I've read them.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The Who's Who is really a reference book, Chrissie - and is so useful when reading a Christie and wanting to check on a character. However, it is still extremely entertaining to read through it. You have a good time ahead!
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Chrissie777 wrote:
sixret wrote:Agatha Christie had three homes apart from her childhood's house in Torquay called Ashfield Villa.
1) Sunningdale in Surrey-resided with her first husband, Archie Christie.
2) Winterbrook, Wallingford- her house with her second husband, Max Mallowan.
Sixret, are Sunningdale and Winterbrook open to the public as well?
Apologies for the late response, Chrissie. I didn’t receive any notification. Never do. I’ve just stumbled on your question when I backtracked the conversations in this thread. I maybe wrong but Sunningdale has been up for sale for so long. But Winterbrook is opened to public. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!