Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for your reply tiq.

Which Agatha Christie book did you read? I started with possibly the worst one to begin with called 'Curtain' and then read 'The Labours of Hercules.' These books possibly should have put me off but I was only aged about eight or nine and a bit thrilled and excited to be allowed to read 'adult books'.

Next came 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' and 'Death on the Nile' and then I was well and truly hooked.I think you may well eventually enjoy Agatha Christie if you just read the right book to interest you.
Her earlier work differs from her later novels by a wide margin.

I'm sure others here could recommend a good book to begin with if you ever decide to give Mrs Mallowan another chance!

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote:I started with possibly the worst one to begin with called 'Curtain'
As Poirot would say, "Imbecile, mon ami!"

As for keeping up with the characters, tiq, I find the Agatha Christie Who's Who an invaluable help when reading one of her books!
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On Dec. 20th, 2012 pete9012S wrote:
"Which Agatha Christie book did you read?"

The radio spoof that brought forth an interest was "The House Trap, or Five Little Sniggers" and it wasn't the Jimmy Edwards mob as stated - it featured in "Beyond our Ken" (1963).

Five people met up in an old mansion and were bumped off one-by-one so it wasn't hard relating the plot to Christie's "Ten Little Niggers" because the book (child's' version) was in every nursery and we'd all read about the ten little nigger boys experiencing various accidents until there was only one left.

Primed up with this scenario I thought it would be an ideal 'first' so last year I indulged but, as is often the case, it became too 'complicado.' Now I can't even remember how it ends or 'who dun it,' which is good because I can't give the ending way. Moonraker's suggestion is a helpful one if I can get round to sampling another in the collected works.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

tiq wrote:Moonraker's suggestion is a helpful one if I can get round to sampling another in the collected works.
Try The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, tiq. If you don't like that, then Agatha Christie probably isn't for you. :cry:
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

Moonraker (Dec. 22nd, 2012):

"If you don't like that, then Agatha Christie probably isn't for you."

Thank you.

That's a good suggestion because it's 'open and shut.'

Next time I visit the library I'll search out "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

A question for those Christie fans out there. I was thinking of picking an Agatha Christie as my book club choice, would you recommend choosing this one (Murder of Roger Ackroyd) or would another be better? I need 8 copies, is it better to get older second hand copies or newer ones. You don't know which books have been "tampered" with these days.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

This blog answers some questions regarding editing and also suggests reading titles suitable for a book club...

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.co.uk ... rnate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, here is a link to lots of other Agatha Christie bloggers...

http://acrccarnival.blogspot.co.uk/2010 ... -tour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

I might have mentioned this before, but iTunes used to have a really great collection of Agatha Christie radio plays from the 1940s in their podcast section titled "Old Time Radio". I don't know if anyone else has this collection, but it is really good. Unfortunately iTunes yanked it from their store, but I was fortunate in being able to download about 18 titles before that happened. I also downloaded a lot of Christie audiobooks from their store, which are read by David Suchet and Hugh Fraser. Very nicely read, and they are still available. :D
Society Member
Abby

Post by Abby »

Cat Among the Pigeons is one of my favourite Poirots. There was also a brilliant television adaptation which was very faithful to the book. Harriet Walters played the headmistress and was great.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I agree, Abby, a great book and a good tv adaptation. Welcome to the forums, by he way. Do feel free to tell us a bit about yourself on the Introduce Yourself thread! :D
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

How spooky - I'd literally just finished looking on E-Bay at Agatha Christie books, and the top topic on here was Agatha Christie!

My family have just discovered some rather shabby paperbacks from the 1960s and I was trying to see if it would be worth them trying to sell them on E-bay. Talk about looking for a needle in a haystack - there are hundreds, if not thousands of Agatha Christie books listed. It's going to take quite a bit of sleuthing to work out what is worth selling or not.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You'll need Jane Marple on the Case then, Katharine! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

After a lot of patient searching I have finally got my hands on a set of Paul Hamlyn special edition Agatha Christie hardbacks.
The Complete Crime Collection is a 24 Volume Set.( This is a set of 24 books, each holding 3 stories.)My set above comprises 23 books for £21..
That leaves me one book to get,but I already own eight,so chances are I may already have volume 24!

All the books are covered by dustwrapper and I always think the cover underneath looks attractive too!

There are just a few stragglers by Agatha Christie to collect,published after 1972 when this set was released,but I can easily pick up the remaining ones I need in their original hardback dust wrapped guise! :D

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Looks like a wonderful collection, Pete!

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Ming.I was going to increase my collection slowly at around £3 per book plus postage and then this offer came along! :D

Society Member