Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Moonraker »

I can also recommend the rather eerie stories featuring Harley Quin and Mr Satterthwaite. Very spooky.
Society Member
Anne Henriette
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers / Twins of St Clare's
Favourite character: Sally Hope / H. Wentworth, Isabella O'Sullivan

Post by Anne Henriette »

Oh yes, you're right! I forgot about Harley Quin ;) I don't remember Mr Satterthwaite though. Can you give me a title in which he appears?
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Bit more info here:
Harley Quin & Mr. Satterthwaite
If these stories could be described in any way, it would be the mystery story mingled with fairy tales. The Mysterious Mr. Quin is a collection of 12 short stories and The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories contains a short story, never published before in a Christie volume, about Satterthwaite meeting with Quin years later. Satterthwaite appears with Poirot in two cases: Three-Act Tragedy and the short story "Dead Man's Mirror." In her autobiography, Christie said that Quin and Satterthwaite were her two favorite characters. In fact, The Mysterious Mr. Quin was dedicated by Christie "To Harlequin The Invisible"

http://www.poirot.us/quin.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Moonraker wrote:
floragord wrote:we did enjoy a new-to-us
Marple, THE SITTAFORD MYSTERY with Geraldine McEwan and Timothy Dalton on Tuesday evening.
I thought it a travesty. Do read the book, Flora, it is solved by a lovely young lady and her man, not a sign of Miss Marple to be seen.
Ooooh its not the dreaded Tommy & Tuppence is it, for some reason those two put years on me. If not I'll get a copy off Amazon and compare and contrast it to the "Marple" mystery :) !
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anne Henriette

Post by Anne Henriette »

Thank you, Pete, for the information. I really do not recall having read about Satterthwaite. I definitely have to read those novels you cited again :)

@floragord: I think you might be right about Sittaford Mystery being a Tommy & Tuppence case...
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The Sittaford Mystery (1931)

The narration is top-notch and very smooth. The story is classic Christie from the 1930s and is the first to feature the supernatural in her novels. For me, this novel has a "sense of urgency"--I couldn't put it down, wanting to keep reading to find a surprise. There is old-fashioned Christie deception and red herrings (nothing wrong with that, right?). I quite liked the use of the supernatural and seances in this story.

http://www.poirot.us/sittaford.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really like this book,even though sadly Tommy & Tuppence are not in it.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have just started to read - They Do It With Mirrors - one of the books I bought in the set of 21. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

Thank you, Anne and Pete, I'll have to acquire the book now I know T&T don't star! :wink:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thank you Pete for answering questions posed to me! :D

We watched the three-hour N or M, last night, and I was bitterly disappointed. For the first thirty minutes or so, I thought it was a different story. As for finding a wireless transmitter on the beach, that defied all logic. Please, can I urge you to read the book if you have seen the programme but not read it yet. Agatha must be turning in her grave. Tommy was a bumbling buffoon, of whom the Secret Service would have thrown out of the door. Tuppence was just an interfering idiot. Nothing like the wonderful couple who Agatha portrayed.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That's sad, Nigel. I haven't read the books or seen the show, but now I know to read the books first if I'm going to at all. I do remember, though, when my mum was listening to an audio book of one of the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries, I was quite taken with Tommy's retort to his wife at one stage: "Tuppence, you're a congenital idiot!" :mrgreen: Does anyone know which book that was from?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Partners in Crime (short story collection) 1929
Chapter 2. A POT OF TEA:

"No?" said Tuppence. "Well, perhaps you're right. But I daresay Lawrence St. Vincent will swallow that sort of slush. He's full of romantic notions just now. By the way, I guaranteed results in twenty-four hours-our special service."    "Tuppence-you congenital idiot, what made you do that?"    "The idea just came into my head. I thought it sounded rather well. Don't you worry. Leave it to Mother. Mother knows best."    She went out, leaving Tommy profoundly dissatisfied.

Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

There's an amusing piece in the Telegraph today entitled FAVOURITE CHRISTIE THRILLER IS UNMASKED. Apparently And Then There Were None has been voted the nation's favourite of her many stories, and the BBC is going to adapt it for television for the first time, starring Aidan Turner who recently appeared in the remake of Poldark, Charles Dance and Miranda Richardson, and to be shown over Christmas - apparently it is the best-selling crime novel of all time, with more than 100 million copies bought worldwide - second place went to Murder on the Orient Express and third to The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

floragord wrote:Apparently And Then There Were None has been voted the nation's favourite of her many stories, and the BBC is going to adapt it for television for the first time, starring Aidan Turner who recently appeared in the remake of Poldark...
But will they find an excuse for him to go scything again? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anne Henriette

Post by Anne Henriette »

I can understand that And then there were none (which I had to google cos not all French translations are similar to the English original*), I can understand that this novel is the best-known of her works. I think it was the second one I read when I was a teenager and I have to admit that it held me awake at nights cos the suspense was just to much to bear :D

*I see that the title has been politically corrected from "Ten Little Niggers"... That's why I didn't recognize it immediately.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have an original edition of Ten Little Niggers. This was an old rhyme, and the crime took place on Nigger Island - so called as it resembled the shape of a negro's head.

To me, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is Agatha's masterpiece. This title came third in the poll.
Society Member