Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Chrissie one of my favourite biographies is 'Agatha Christie The Woman and her mysteries' by Gillian Gill.
Her own autobiography is one of my favourite books,I don't know if you have read that?
Pete, I just requested the biography by Gillian Gill from our local library.
I read both, Agatha Christie's autobiography and Janet Morgan's biography plus one book by Agatha Christie on her forays (do you use that term in this context?) with Sir Max Mallowan in Mesopotamia which was a really compelling read. I love archaeology.
To be honest I got more out of the Janet Morgan biography than from Christie's autobiography (but the same happened when I read biographies & autobiographies on Katharine Hepburn and Lauren Bacall, the biographies disclosed a lot more).
That's why I was hoping to find another newer biography (Janet Morgan's book was written in 1984, so a new biography might offer new insights).
Usually different autobiographers have different angles which makes it more interesting to read not just one biography about the same person.

I also requested this coffee table book from our library:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Christie ... 1409003621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taking a boat ride on the River Dart is something I would enjoy to do after having watched "Ordeal by Innocence" with Donald Sutherland. Did you ever watch it? The filming locations along the River Dart are absolutely stunning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087852/combined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087852/locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I haven't read any of the biographies, but I did watch a documentary a little while back. I was amazed at just how big a search was made for her when she went missing.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

You would enjoy the autobiographical movie with Vanessa Redgrave playing Agatha Christie.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I wasn't feeling too good today, so I snuggled up with a pile of books and debated on which to sink my teeth into. After rediscovering Holiday House by Enid Blyton - (excellent!), I then picked up The Body In the Library and I am hooked! I just love the sinister, unknown explanations - the multi-dimensional characters, and the fast-paced, interesting text.

An interesting, varied day of reading for me! Looking forward to getting back to The Body In the Library!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

You will become a fan. She was a storyteller just like Enid Blyton but in a different genre. That's the reason why they have been popular all these years while their contemporaries were gone to oblivion long ago.

Congratulations, you have graduated from EB and now you are moving into AC's terittory. Enjoy the experience! :D
Last edited by sixret on 29 Aug 2014, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Poppy wrote:I wasn't feeling too good today, so I snuggled up with a pile of books and debated on which to sink my teeth into. After rediscovering Holiday House by Enid Blyton - (excellent!), I then picked up The Body In the Library and I am hooked! I just love the sinister, unknown explanations - the multi-dimensional characters, and the fast-paced, interesting text.

I read "Body in the Library" and "Murder at the Vicarage" back to back and they almost seemed like sequels to me. "The Hollow" was also very good and then there was another Agatha Christie novel about passengers on a train which was either in an avalanche or snowed in, but I forgot the title. Too long ago. :cry:
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

there was another Agatha Christie novel about passengers on a train which was either in an avalanche or snowed in, but I forgot the title.
The Murder on the Orient Express?
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I wanted to suggest that, but I thought it was perhaps too obvious!! :lol:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Why was the book called Murder in the Calais Coach in the USA?

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

As an aside - Pete, your quotation from Missing Necklace does not match what is printed in my hardback copy - Pip and Bets had SUN -SUITS on, hats aren't mentioned at that point.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that - I'd been wondering what on earth Enid was thinking!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Moonraker wrote:
there was another Agatha Christie novel about passengers on a train which was either in an avalanche or snowed in, but I forgot the title.
In Germany the book was originally published by the name "Der rote Kimono" = (The red kimono). According to Wikipedia the name was changed to "Mord im Orient-Express" after the film was produced.
Last edited by Wolfgang on 29 Aug 2014, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Getting harder to collect BCA facsimile edition. Some titles have gone up to £60! Miss Marple titles are easier and cheaper to find than Poirot and stand alone titles.

I have to make do with Hachette facsimile edition for certain titles. :(
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I do like the 'Miss Marple' books the best although some of the Poirot's are very good as well.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:
Thanks, Nigel, however, it was a different novel. It actually took place in the UK. I think "Orient Express" takes place somewhere outside of England. When I'll have more time next week, I'll check Janet Morgan's biography. From what I remember she had a bibliography of Christie included. The German title refers to the train, but I don't remember if the original title does.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock