Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm sure we will. Thanks, Julie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

#125Stories
Discover a collection of never before seen fan letters sent to Agatha Christie and share your own story about how the Queen of Crime has been a part of your life.
http://125stories.com/feed/collection/94793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Very interesting, Pete. Thank you so much. I will continue reading the letters and stories tomorrow. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I thought you might like that one! :D

Also,similar to Agatha Christie,
I'm really enjoying reading Nigel's recommendation Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story by J Jefferson Farjeon

Have you read it? It's an excellent story so far.I'm about a third of the way into it..

A Christmas detective tale not seen in shops for more than 70 years has become a festive sleeper hit and resurrected interest in a long-forgotten crime writer.

Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story by J Jefferson Farjeon is selling in "astonishing numbers", according to the Waterstones book chain. It has outsold rival paperbacks Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn, and Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch on the high street, while Amazon temporarily ran out of stock last week due to surging demand.

The novel tells the story of an eclectic group of six people stuck on a train stranded by snow on Christmas Eve. Fearing that they may find themselves marooned all night, they decide to walk to the next station.

On the way, they come across an unlocked house with dinner laid, kettle boiled and a fire on, but no one seemingly at home. "Trapped together for Christmas, the passengers are seeking to unravel the secrets of the empty house when a murderer strikes in their midst," the blurb states.

First published in 1937, Mystery in White has been republished as part of the British Library Crime Classics series that is rekindling interest in authors from the pre-Second World War "golden age" of crime writing. More than 155,000 copies in the series have been sold this year, but with Mystery in White accounting for 60,000 of those sales.

J Jefferson Farjeon's masterpiece republished J Jefferson Farjeon's masterpiece republished

Joseph Knobbs, Waterstones' crime fiction buyer, said he thought the sales could reflect readers yearning for genuine mysteries rather than darker, modern thrillers: "Mystery in White has been our bestselling paperback this Christmas and one of the most pleasant surprises of the year.

"The Crime Classics stand out against the darker crop of contemporary crime fiction and offer something a bit different. A lot of modern stuff skews closer to thriller than mystery. It has been a treat to see mystery writers such as John Bude, Mavis Doriel Hay and J Jefferson Farjeon get their due. I think that's a credit to the British Library, which has not only done the important work of archiving this material, but now brought it to a wider audience," he said.

Born in London in 1885 to a family of actors and writers, Farjeon wrote more than 80 novels and plays. He died in Hove, aged 72, in 1955. The crime writer Dorothy L Sayers said he was "unsurpassed for creepy skill in mysterious adventures". His sister, Eleanor, was a renowned children's author.

The Notting Hill Mystery, originally published in the 1860s, was the first in the British Library series to come out in 2012, but sales have taken off this year when authors from the 1930s and 1940s were republished.

Robert Davies, from British Library Publishing, said: "For years, publishers have been concentrating on dark, violent, psychological crime novels, but we spotted a gap in the market for readers seeking escapist detective fiction with superb plots and period atmosphere.

"We're a very small team operating in an environment that is quite tough on independent publishers, so we're extremely proud of our sales figures: up 400 per cent in November on the previous year. Independent and international bookshops have all got behind us, but we've especially benefited from support from Waterstones."

A further six Crime Classics are planned in the new year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 38088.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I bought the book together with 5 other titles in the first batch published by British Crime Library for only £16.97 during Christmas promotion. However, I haven't read it, Pete. I've been a friend with Martin Edwards via facebook since last year. He is a British mystery writer who recommended those 6 titles to be published by British Crime Library. Another 6 titles in the second batch have been published due to the great sales of the first batch especially Mystery in White by Jefferson Farjeon. I have more than 20 titles by this author. I've read 3 titles and they are more into thriller than proper detective stories. I assume Mystery in White is thriller based on the 3 books of his that I've read. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I've just checked the book website. I couldn't believe the promotion of the books is still available! Those who want to buy the 6 titles, can do so. Very cheap price of £16.99. A bargain, I would say. :D

http://www.bookbundles.co.uk/john-bude- ... 6194-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I haven't read any of his other books,so I can't compare it with them.
But it has the same sort of feel as The Sittaford Mystery, Murder On The Orient Express and even The Hound of Death so far! :D

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thanks, Pete. I enjoyed reading those 3 titles although I can't remember much except Orient Express. :lol:

In that case, I should enjoy reading Mystery In White. :D

floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Be most interested to hear your opinion of it Eddie, many years ago I got 2 last minute tickets as there'd been a cancellation, in London, for my husband's birthday, we thought it terrific, hope you enjoy it greatly!
Eddie Muir wrote:Thanks for the information, Nigel. :D

We booked tickets this morning for The Mousetrap at the Devonshire Park Theatre in Eastbourne for Saturday, 13th June. :D We're really looking forward to It. We don't know the outcome and so we certainly won't read Three Blind Mice before we see the play.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

sixret wrote:Thanks, Pete. I enjoyed reading those 3 titles although I can't remember much except Orient Express. :lol:

In that case, I should enjoy reading Mystery In White. :D
Yes,I think you will - it's one of the best non Christie's I've read for ages! :D

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The Official Agatha Christie Newsletter

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7f6 ... d61b6246b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Great link!
Thanks, Pete.
I signed up for their newsletter and voted for my favorite Agatha Christie novel (And then there were none)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anne's Sandwiches

Post by Anne's Sandwiches »

Ând Then There Were None is my favourite too - great choice.

There is a play version touring at the moment with Paul Nicholas in it. Has anyone seen it? It was in Kent a month or two ago and I thought it was excellent, very dark towards the end. :)
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

I assume that the play version starts out in the mansion on the island already without the boat ride to the island?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Anne's Sandwiches

Post by Anne's Sandwiches »

Yes that's right.

The book and original play have different endings so always going to see this play is exciting to see which one they choose to do. *no spoilers please* :)