Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by pete9012S »

The Monogram Murders - Hangout with author Sophie Hannah and Mark Lawson
Streamed live on Sep 8, 2014

To celebrate the release of the new Hercule Poirot mystery The Monogram Murders by internationally bestselling author Sophie Hannah, join us in a Google Hangout.

Sophie Hannah will be in conversation with Mark Lawson and will be answering all your questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ZwBa1BDD8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I started reading this last night, in bed; half-price in WHSmith and I had a 20% discount voucher so got it for around £8. It is good, but so far doesn't have the Christie "feel". Time will tell.....
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Here is the latest newsletter:
September has certainly been a busy month for Christie fans. We've seen the release of the first ever Hercule Poirot continuation novel, which has debuted to much acclaim in book charts around the world. We also had the fabulous International Agatha Christie Festival, centred around the Queen of Crime's birthday, and related celebrations and events. How did you celebrate Dame Agatha's birthday?
http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7f6 ... c7f9aa4cd8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much for the link, Pete. :D

Would like to know your view on Monograms Murders when you have finished reading it, Nigel. Please let us know. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In a nutshell, I really enjoyed it. As I said elsewhere, it didn't really read like a 'Christie'. Poirot was there, of course, but he seemed a bit of an imposter. He kept saying "Bon" - which ITV had him say. In reality, he would have said "Bien", in my opinion. There was little mention of his past allies - Japp, for example - although Hastings did get a sentence half way through. This 'new' detective, who narrated the story, much as Hastings would have done, just appeared. Not a Christie detective such as Battle. His name was Catchpool (strange name) and it felt wrong to have this detective when he had never been, or would be again, mentioned in a Poirot novel.

The denouement was incredibly complex. I had to read this slowly, and often needed to re-read parts. The whole plot seemed far more complex than the average Christie.

It was a really well written and complex story. It was good to have another Poirot story, but I couldn't help feeling that he was just inserted into the story to increase its sales. Without Poirot, it would still be a first rate crime story. Although I thoroughly enjoyed it, it somehow didn't seem quite real.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have just started Murder on the Orient Express. I am enjoying the sinister atmosphere and the cold winter setting.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Nigel for the review. I agree with you that the story can stand on its own without using Poirot as a detective because it didn't read as AC at all. I appreciate the complexity of the denouement but the explanation is unnecesarily long-winded. :D

I hope you enjoy the rest of the story, Poppy. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

but the explanation is unnecessarily long-winded.
Oh, definitely. I had to make sure I wasn't too sleepy or I would have never followed it!
Society Member
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Just finished Murder on the Orient Express - absolutely brilliant!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I am three chapters from the end, Rosy. I can't wait to read the outcome!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I'm really glad you're enjoying Agatha Christie Poppy.
I even like reading the books I can remember the outcome,as you can see how Agatha teases the reader with her clues,red herrings and diversions and I find that most enjoyable too!

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I feel sad( and a bit angry) when people say Blyton and Christie were inferior writers when million others have enjoyed reading their books. Usually those people who say that, have never read any Blyton and Christie books! :cry:

Am I the only one who feel like this? :oops:

Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:I feel sad( and a bit angry) when people say Blyton and Christie were inferior writers when million others have enjoyed reading their books. Usually those people who say that, have never read any Blyton and Christie books! :cry:

Am I the only one who feel like this? :oops:

Not at all, sixret! I feel the same.
I don't even understand why there are so-called superior writers like Charles Dickens (to be honest, I found his books very boring and hard to read), Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck or inferior authors like Edgar Wallace, Nelson DeMille and Danielle Steel.
O.k., they don't write master pieces, but they obviously satisfy many readers' needs, so what's inferior about that?
As long as they instill the longing for reading books in a human being, they are fulfilling a good purpose, aren't they?

Yes, I agree, many critics just depend on other critic's negative book reviews and don't bother reading those books themselves. If I would have taken seriously professional book critics, I would have missed many good books.
I rather trust my own instinct than a book critic's opinion. Same goes for movies.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

pete9012S wrote:I'm really glad you're enjoying Agatha Christie Poppy.
I even like reading the books I can remember the outcome,as you can see how Agatha teases the reader with her clues,red herrings and diversions and I find that most enjoyable too!
Yes, I am very pleased that I discovered them, Pete! Poirot is definitely my preference (out of that and Miss Marple) but Christie's books are proving extremely consistent and strong throughout.

I love rediscovering books, conscious of the outcome and seeing how cleverly everything was set out!
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Did you finish Orient Express, Poppy? What did you think? I thought it was tremendously clever. I was breathtaken by the conclusion!