Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by pete9012S »

Eddie Muir wrote:
pete9012S wrote: Eddie, where did you purchase yours-the shops (garage/newagents)I tried today didnt have it in stock? :(
I bought mine in W.H. Smith's in Crawley, Pete. The had a whole stand full of them. :D

Aha! great tip-that is where I shall go tomorrow,many thanks Eddie.
Moonraker wrote:How silly to start with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Why not start with the first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, where we are introduced to Hercule Poirot?
I agree, Nigel. It would have made more sense to start with The Mysterious Affair at Styles, but I suppose the publisher thought that The Murder of Roger Ackroyd being a better known book was likely to sell in greater numbers.

Yes,that was my conclusion also.They want to draw us in and get us emotionaly committed to Agathas works as soon as possible! :D

ps,Will this literary extravaganza save Chorion-or even help improve their cause??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote: I've just realised that Ten Little Indians probably isn't a very acceptable title either. Was it changed to 'And Then There Were None' or something similar?
I emailed the publishers about this very same point. I was told that although being marketed as facsimiles of originals, there was no place in society for the term Niggers, and the book would retain the modern title, And Then There Were None. In fact, the tone of the reply inferred that I was a racist for even querying it!
Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Moonraker wrote:I was told that although being marketed as facsimiles of originals, there was no place in society for the term Niggers, and the book would retain the modern title, And Then There Were None.
Thankfully they can't recall every copy from used book stores. :) I picked up an early 1970s Fontana paperback of TLN last week, and I realised that it called for more than just a title change - the text has numerous references that would be considered unacceptable today. Funnily enough, my 1980 copy of the book was renamed Ten Little Indians but retains the phrase "nigger in the woodpile" in the text, so I guess it was still work in progress!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Bought the 1st book today from WH Smith so thanks for the tip Eddie!

My daughter went in for me.She said the books weren't anywhere to be seen.The staff she asked said they knew nothing about this book or special offer.Eventually the manager came over and said they were round the back of the shop and weren't out on display!

Sales prevention unlimited!

Still,excellent value for £1.99 with a lovely magazine all about the book included.
Wish they were all £1.99,bet they would shift loads if they were a bit less expensive! :D

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm glad to hear you managed to get a copy, Pete. :D I must say I'm surprised that they weren't on display at W.H. Smith's. :? Most odd!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I trailed all round the magazines in Smiths this afternoon and couldn't spot Agatha Christie. I was just heading towards the door and saw a big display of them right at the front of the shop! Apparently if I subscribe the next 2 issues are only £3.99 each. I mentioned them to my husband, but as he pointed out, I already have most of them, and we haven't anywhere to put another set. It's so annoying when he's right. :evil:
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

A fans account of his collection of Agatha Christies,complete with scans of all the books he has collected over the years...

http://rm7guy.co.uk/Agatha.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:I trailed all round the magazines in Smiths this afternoon and couldn't spot Agatha Christie. I was just heading towards the door and saw a big display of them right at the front of the shop! Apparently if I subscribe the next 2 issues are only £3.99 each. I mentioned them to my husband, but as he pointed out, I already have most of them, and we haven't anywhere to put another set. It's so annoying when he's right. :evil:
Just been checking what Agatha's first editions with/without dust jackets currently fetch.
Now starting to think this latest offer of all her books in first edition format with original dust-jackets isnt so overpriced after all! :shock:

http://www.detective-fiction.com/agatha-christie.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I actually think £5.99 per book isn't unreasonable, my paperbacks from the early 1990s cost between £3 and £4 each. So £5.99 for a hardback with D/W plus magazine seems quite good value for money. It's just trying to justify buying duplicates that I'm struggling with.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

pete9012S wrote:
Just been checking what Agatha's first editions with/without dust jackets currently fetch.
Now starting to think this latest offer of all her books in first edition format with original dust-jackets isnt so overpriced after all! :shock:
Even not overpriced when comparing them to Amazon's prices.
Society Member
anne1991

Post by anne1991 »

I used to love Agatha Christie when I was a teenage, particularly the Poirot ones, death on the Nile and the Murder of Roger Akroyd I would completely recommend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_on_the_Nile
Last edited by anne1991 on 23 Jan 2012, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
I think people make their own faces, as they grow - Enid Blyton
lizzie farrel

Post by lizzie farrel »

I am always impressed by how, in spite of her cheerful 'cosy' veneer, Christie ventured into some dark places(Crooked House and Sleeping Murder come to mind - and Endless Night.) It goes to her credit that she did it in such a genteel way that anyone from a 12 year old up could read her books.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Happy days! :D

Agatha Christie a Reader's Companion
I have been after this book for ages-just managed to get a copy from ebay for £11-perfect condition by asking ebay to alert me as soon as copy became available!

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/Agatha-Christ ... 4427341/bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a bit pricier for some versions on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

anne1991 wrote:I used to love Agatha Christie
what a lovely avatar,love it! :D

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

pete9012S wrote:A fans account of his collection of Agatha Christies,complete with scans of all the books he has collected over the years... http://rm7guy.co.uk/Agatha.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You didn't notice the site has a page on the Find-outer Mysteries too? Unfortunately there aren't any write-ups on individual books in the series, though there are some nice early (!960s) Armada covers. I have a few of these, though when I first read the books they were all 'Red Dragon' paperbacks.