Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Moonraker »

I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but I share my birthday with Agatha, and on 'our' birthday we explored Greenway House (her holiday home) and its grounds (setting of Dead Man's Folly). What a wonderful day.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote:I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but I share my birthday with Agatha, and on 'our' birthday we explored Greenway House (her holiday home) and its grounds (setting of Dead Man's Folly). What a wonderful day.

I'm sooo jealous that youve been to Greenway-I'm reading two books at the moment Dead Mans Folly & The Ship of Adventure.
Did you feel Agathas presence whilst there? It must have been great to visit a house that meant so much to her and as you say was used in some of her books!
Would love to see a link any photos you took at Greenway if at all possible!

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It sounds as if you had a brilliant day, Nigel, and Greenway is now high on my list of places to visit in the very near future. :D

It is a National Trust property and Chick and I are long-time members of the trust. Click on the following link for details of Greenway:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... -greenway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, Pete, I didn't feel any presence (although I did feel a few presents)!!!

Perfectly possible, Pete; click here for some pics.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Nigel,thank you so much for the link to the photos.

If I had to choose between visiting Greenway and Green Hedges (if it was still standing) I dont know what I would do! :D

These two photos intrigued me.Your good wife is sitting almost exactly were Agatha & Max posed all those years ago! :(

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045163561 ... 0229160882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by pete9012S on 07 Mar 2017, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Another place to add to my list of must see if and when I get back to the UK on a visit. The list getting so long if I do get back I might never leave.

Wonderful photos, thanks Nigel.

cheers
Aussie Sue
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Some great news just in!

http://agathachristie.com/insight/chris ... e-back-tv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

this looks good!
wish they would do the` same with Enids work! :D

Rare first editions of Christie's novels are eagerly sought after by book
collectors. As a tribute to these, we present The Agatha Christie Book Collection,
a series of elegant hardbacks based on the original first editions,
each with an accompanying magazine.

http://www.agathabooks.co.uk/collection.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've just bought the first one of the new collection, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Pete. :D Great value at just £1.99, which includes a superb magazine, but future books in the collection are going to be considerably more: £5.99 each, I believe. :(
pete9012S wrote:wish they would do the same with Enids work! :D
Hear! Hear! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just seen the advert on TV. I'm very much tempted. Only 2 problems that I can see. One, lack of space, I already have all bar about 2 paperbacks. Secondly cost. I think she wrote 78 books, so that works out at over £450!! Unless I can get a winning lottery ticket this weekend I've a feeling I'll have to sadly let this pass me by. :cry:
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Katharine wrote:I've just seen the advert on TV. I'm very much tempted. Only 2 problems that I can see. One, lack of space, I already have all bar about 2 paperbacks. Secondly cost. I think she wrote 78 books, so that works out at over £450!! Unless I can get a winning lottery ticket this weekend I've a feeling I'll have to sadly let this pass me by. :cry:
I know what you mean about the cost! I think a book every two weeks will be a bit too costly for some.Wish it was book every month instead!

@ Eddie,where did you purchase yours-the shops (garage/newagents)I tried today didnt have it in stock? :cry:

regards

Pete

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Pete, if my calculations are correct that means it will take about 3 years to collect the lot. I suppose £450 doesn't sound as bad spread out like that, but as you say it's a lot to find every fortnight. Still, I think I'll have to try and get hold of the first one, just to see what they are like.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Remainder bookshops sell many of the books in facsimile covers, often at 3 for £1.99. I have bought quite a few, and they look good in their 'original' covers. If I were to subscribe to this 'new' collection, I would have many duplicates. A good many years ago, a collection was released having two stories in one red 'leather-type' binding. I started collecting these, but had to give up due to our financial state. I have often regretted that they have never been re-issued.

Edit: I have just looked in detail at the site and viewed the TV advert. How silly to start with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Why not start with the first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, where we are introduced to Hercule Poirot?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I like the look of the free gifts. I wondered about what order they are releasing the books in. I'll also be interested to see what they do for the 'Ten Little Indians' book. Perhaps they'll use the same artwork but just change the words.

I've just realised that Ten Little Indians probably isn't a very acceptable title either. Was it changed to 'And Then There Were None' or something similar?
Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

pete9012S wrote: Eddie, where did you purchase yours-the shops (garage/newagents)I tried today didnt have it in stock? :(
I bought mine in W.H. Smith's in Crawley, Pete. The had a whole stand full of them. :D
Moonraker wrote:How silly to start with The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Why not start with the first book, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, where we are introduced to Hercule Poirot?
I agree, Nigel. It would have made more sense to start with The Mysterious Affair at Styles, but I suppose the publisher thought that The Murder of Roger Ackroyd being a better known book was likely to sell in greater numbers.

Society Member