Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've just finished reading, The Spider's Web, after seeing the play, and the book is true to the play. I absolutely loved reading it. I didn't realize that Agatha put in such humour in her works, as you can guess I've not read that many. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I believe the book is an adaptation by Charles Osborne. Spider's Web was written as a play, and many of Agatha's plays have been adapted by Charles Osborne in book form. Black Coffee is another excellent adaptation. I am writing this from memory, so don't take it as gospel!

I agree Julie, Spider's Web is a great play - my favourite of all Agatha's plays. Jane and I hoped to see it at Truro, but due to her back problems, she couldn't sit in a theatre in any comfort, especially after a 5 hour car journey! We did intend to pay a visit to see you too; unfortunately, I have lost your number and couldn't get any mobile signal to use the laptop. :(

The mammoth amount of new posts awaiting me on our return is formidable - I can only skim through them at the moment!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote: We did intend to pay a visit to see you too; unfortunately, I have lost your number and couldn't get any mobile signal to use the laptop. :(
That's a shame, Nigel, it would have been lovely to see you both and give you a guided tour around 'Owl's Dene. :P Stephen would have course given you a V.I.P around the railways of Cornwall. I'd have taken Jane off to Truro to spend your money. :lol: If'd I known where you were staying I'd have dropped a note through your door.

Anyway, going back to Agatha Christie. I've been watching some of the information about her on the TV this week-end, and it seems she bought 'Greenways' for £6K in 1936. Now isn't this one of those moments where you wish you had a 'time machine' and could go back and buy a few of these lovely Georgian houses with massive grounds for just £6k. :lol:

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Whilst at the railway in Corfe, I spotted a few second hand books for sale, and browsed through them. They weren't all railway books. I found a hardback 1st edition of Agatha Christie's - Dead Man's Folly, it even had it's dust jacket, torn at the spine, but nothing that a plastic covering won't fix. And it was only 50p. :D

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Going for £30 - 40 on eBay. Bargain! :D
Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Whilst at the railway in Corfe, I spotted a few second hand books for sale, and browsed through them. They weren't all railway books. I found a hardback 1st edition of Agatha Christie's - Dead Man's Folly, it even had it's dust jacket, torn at the spine, but nothing that a plastic covering won't fix. And it was only 50p. :D

8)
Good bargain, well done! :D
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, it certainly was, Kitty.
Moonraker wrote:Going for £30 - 40 on eBay. Bargain! :D
No, sorry, Nigel. Just going on my shelf. I love all old books. :)

8)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Agatha Christie Newsletter

Post by pete9012S »

This Agatha Christie newsletter I recently received may be of interest to some of her fans who read/post on this site....

Where to start? Christie Week is less than four weeks away and never have we had such a flurry of activity, in this, Agatha Christie's 120th anniversary year!

Christie Week 2010 - Latest
Will you be taking a special Christie tea at Brown's in London or maybe you'll be down in Torquay for the birthday party and fireworks at the Grand Hotel ? Or perhaps you'll be playing a spot of Christie Croquet in South Carolina or joining the birthday celebrations held by the Agatha Christie Appreciation Society in Pennsylvania? Find out what's happening and where .

It's not too late to galvanise your Christie pals and think up your own event, better still you can post it on our website and tell the whole world about it! Upload your event .

ITV3's Christie Weekender
Celebrate Christie Week the easy way simply by tuning into ITV3 in the UK on the 18th and 19th September. The line-up will be announced soon but expect to see Christie classics like the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express, 1989's The Man in the Brown Suit starring Edward Woodward and the best of Poirot and Marple from over the years.

Vote Marple or Poirot for People's Detective 2010
The voting is open for The People's Detective Award, part of the Specsavers Crime Thrillers Awards 2010. And guess what? We want Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple to win! You can vote up to ten times with the same email address, so roll your sleeves up and let's get a Christie sleuth to first place! Vote now !

More Facebook photos please
Well we've had a range of photos submitted since asking for pictures of you and your Christie collections. From beautiful bookshelves to Poirot tattoos, if you haven't yet taken a look at the entries then get yourself to our official Facebook page ! And if you haven't yet submitted a shot of you and your Christies, why not? There's a great facsimile book set signed by Christie's grandson Mathew Prichard to be won, so upload your photo today! Full terms and conditions .

Identify the Mystery Figure for chance to win a super prize!
Talking of great prizes, have a go at identifying the Mystery Figure for the chance to win an Amazon Kindle e-book reader loaded with every Christie e-book available . So far there's been six clues to find on agathachristie.com with one more to come before the Mystery Figure's true identity is revealed once and for all during Christie Week 2010. Play now !

Walk this way with John Curran
Thank you to everyone who has registered their interest for John Curran's Christie Walk. We're still ironing out the last few details but will email you with the cost and route details very soon. There's been great demand so keep your eyes peeled for that email as places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Register your interest .

Exciting but top secret news!
Last but not least, something very special will be announced exclusively in the UK's Radio Times on 7th September to celebrate Christie's 120th anniversary year. We're not allowed even to hint at what it could be, but we think you're going to love it - make sure you pick up a copy or tune into http://www.agathachristie.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a day later on September 8th for full details.

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Kristina
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five and The Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: George, Timmy and Loony

Post by Kristina »

I love Agatha Christie. At the moment I am reading The Third Girl. I like it although I think that I prefer some of her earlier works... just because I prefer the 20s - 50s rather than the 60s. Although it is interesting because it kind of reflects Agatha Christie's perceptions on the changing times - girls wearing short skirts and all young people looking unwashed etc.

I also grew up watching David Suchet as Hercule Poirot - I can remember watching it back to when I was 4 or 5 and I think I watched it even earlier. Basically Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie are my earliest cultural references...
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Dame Agatha

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Agatha Christie might just be my all-time favourite author, and I am sure we must have other fans of the Queen of Crime here. I know of at least one here who shares my love of her books (Nigel).

Anyone care to share their favourites? For me, it has to be a Poirot, although I am torn between so many. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Death on the Nile, Murder on the Orient Express and Death in the Clouds seem like obvious choices, but they are all classics, and deservedly so. I also love some of her earlier thrillers, such as The Secret of Chimneys and The Seven Dials Mystery.

Also, does anyone know of an Agatha Christie Society, one akin to this fine organisation? Or even a good website or forum? I have never really been able to find one.

Edit: Have merged your thread with an older one to keep everything together. - Anita
Katharine

Re: Dame Agatha

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I'm a fan too. I'm currently half way through Murder on the Orient Express. Although I find it slightly difficult to imagine the characters as I have the cast of the film in my mind. I haven't read all the books yet, but so far my favourite is The Man in the Brown Suit.

I also really enjoy the Tommy and Tuppence stories. Have you seen the Joan Hickson Miss Marple, and if so, what's your opinion?
Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

I listed my favorites on the previous page. :) I love Agatha Christie too, but I hate what they are doing to the movie versions of the books. A few like Murder is Easy and Why Didn't They Ask Evans are completely new stories, that bear no resemblance to the original Christie story in any way, except that the characters have the same names. I am not entirely sure why movie/TV producers think that Christie fans would like to see the producer's spin on the original stories, but for some reason they clearly think that, and the result is pure garbage. :roll:
Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Dame Agatha

Post by Moonraker »

Matthew Roberts wrote: Also, does anyone know of an Agatha Christie Society, one akin to this fine organisation? Or even a good website or forum? I have never really been able to find one.
You can find the official Agatha Christie Society HERE, Matt. There are also a couple of good Yahoo Groups devoted to the grande dame:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agatha_agape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AgathaChristie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a forum on the official society website, but it isn't that user-friendly in my opinion. You can also follow the Society on Facebook.

I'm on a re-read at present, A Caribbean Mystery is by my bed! I have bough several facsimile copies of the original books in The Works. Bargain prices, so look out for them!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Just recieved my regular Agatha Christie Newsletter,this link in the mail may interest fans of Agatha here! :D

http://devon.greatbritishlife.co.uk/art ... von-35670/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The hotel sounds lovely. Somewhere else to add to my 'places I must visit' list. Although it will have to wait it's turn, as Corfe Castle is first on the list.
Society Member