Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by pete9012S »

Its released early September 2014.I've just emailed my library to reserve a copy,so hopefully I will be the first in line to be able to read it when the library gets it in.
I've noticed libraries often get books before the official retail release date too so I am looking forward to reading this new book about Poirot,set in the golden age between 1930-1940...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Strange seeing the author of Poirot as someone other than Agatha herself.

I think I'd have to look at the book, and read a few pages before I bought it. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I will definitely be buying it - possibly on my Kindle.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

After our Enid Blyton Old Thatch meet up I travelled just twenty three miles to Agatha Christies final resting Place in St Mary's Church Cholsey.

It is intriguing to think that for a time Agatha and Enid didn't really live very far away from each other at all...

I have wanted to visit Agatha & Max's final resting place for some time,and was finally able to do so on Sunday.
The church is beautiful,lovely and very restful and most peaceful.

I took a little time out to reflect on how much joy and happiness Agatha & Enid's work had brought to me and countless millions of others all over the world while I was there..

Here is a link to some pictures of St Mary's Church and also to Winterbrook House in Wallingford,which was one of Agatha's main homes from 1934 till the end of her life in 1976.

She mainly visited and stayed at her more famous home 'Greenway' after she had finished writing her books for her Summer Holiday breaks.

http://share.pho.to/5gszN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for a most interesting post and link, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for that, Pete. I'm trying out your uploading site too. :D
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Pete for sharing the photos.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote: It is intriguing to think that for a time Agatha and Enid didn't really live very far away from each other at all...
I shouldn't say it, but I'm sure someone we know would take that fact as evidence that Agatha was a key influence on Enid (if he hasn't already done so)... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Domino

Post by Domino »

Then again, in his book Give Us This Night Our Comfy Bed, Roland T. Waterrat wrote (and I quote):
"James Bond had little in common with the Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, but we musn't split hairs, even waxed ones."

Or am I dreaming?

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
rosy_posy

What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by rosy_posy »

The following few posts have been split from another topic as they've turned into a nice, meaty Agatha Christie discussion! - Anita

I'm reading madly through Agatha Christie, who I've just discovered. I just love her books; she's such a good study of human character and the mysteries are really clever too.
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Farwa »

My mother is a great fan of Agatha Christie too.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
sixret

Post by sixret »

Agreed. I have read all her books and have been a fan since 1998 when i first discovered her books in used bookshop in KL. The first book I read was Peril At Ends House, Harpercollins paperbacks.

I remember I bought my first 3 books of Agatha Christie. Peril, Mrs. McGinty and Ackroyd.

I was so astounded when I finished reading Ackroyd and have been a fan ever since! From that on, I bought more AC. Then John Dickson Carr, then Ellery Queen, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, Margery Allingham, John Rhode and many others. I am a confirmed fan of Whodunnit genre!

But it all started with Enid Blyton(especially FFO/R Mystery/Secret Seven series- more mystery than adventure), Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Three investigators.

I am a fan of children/juvenile books too. For some reason, U. S children books are easier and cheaper to buy.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I think more people should read Agatha Christie books. They are fun and entertaining with good puzzles and good characters study. All the hypes about her books are true. Go and read one and you will be wanting to read more! Poppy, you should try.

The last time I read AC was in 2003. There are only about 8 titles that I haven't read yet. Curtain, Passengers to Frankfurt, Postern Of Fate, Black Coffe, The Uninvited Guest, Spider's Web, The Mysterious Mr. Quin and Parker Pyne Mysteries.

sixret

Post by sixret »

Guidance: If you decide to collect them.

There are 2 types of facsimile editions.

BCA( high quality reproductions with high quality papers an covers) - Slowly has become collectible item. Taller than patchwork. Some of the titles are very difficult to get especially the Hercule Poirot titles.

Patchworks ( The papers, covers are made from cheap papers). Cheap and you can find them easily. There are abundant.

When you compare those two by holding and toucing them, you would see marked differences.

If you see from photos, you can't see the difference at all other than the height.

I suspect, John bought the 3 Patchworks for the tenner.

Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

sixret wrote:I think more people should read Agatha Christie books. They are fun and entertaining with good puzzles and good characters study. All the hypes about her books are true. Go and read one and you will be wanting to read more! Poppy, you should try.
Thanks, sixret. I do have one Agatha Christie book, but I don't think it's a well-known one...? The Body In the Library. Which book do you recommend? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member