Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by pete9012S »

Time-traveling on the Devon coast
http://www.terriwindling.com/blog/2015/ ... enway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed this little blog about visiting Greenway,especially the pictures of Agatha's office room and collections of books.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The World of Agatha Christie: The Facts and Fiction of the World's Greatest Crime Writer Hardcover
by Martin Fido

This book arrived today.It cost just £2.10 including the postage.It's the 2010 reprint of the 1st edition. It is hard backed with a dust jacket and is in beautiful condition.
Extremely good value for just a couple of pounds. I think there are still other copies available on ebay and amazon at reasonable prices.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

That reminds me that the German station "One" has started airing "Agatha Christie's Poirot", with both German and English dubbing this week.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Pete, I read this book from the library last month. It was nice with many photos.
I enjoyed another one of Nigel's recommendations very much:
"The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie" from Charles Osborne which explains how each of her books was inspired and how some of them are related etc. It's already in my amazon.com market basket.

Wolfgang, this Poirot series with David Suchet must be great. 8)
We only watched the final season (because I wanted to watch "Dead Man's Folly" which was filmed at Christie's and Mallowan's home Greenways) and then we decided to start watching the entire Poirot series via DVD's from our local library in 2018 in chronological order.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:
Time-traveling on the Devon coast
http://www.terriwindling.com/blog/2015/ ... enway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed this little blog about visiting Greenway,especially the pictures of Agatha's office room and collections of books.
Pete, that's a lovely blog. Thank you! 8)

I ordered the Greenway brochure from the National Trust via amazon.co.uk way back in February 2017 when it was out of print for a while. But in September or October it finally arrived and re-awakened my interest in Agatha Christie.
This coffee table book is gorgeous...you might like it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Christi ... %27s+Devon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next year I'll order this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agatha-Christi ... %27s+Devon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been to Burgh Island twice (you see it on the cover) and was also inside the art deko hotel where you can buy postcards.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

That book looks fantastic, Pete — I might have to consider it as a future present for my mum. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lovely to hear about all your Agatha Christie activities Chrissie!
Yes Courtenay - I think your Mum would love the book. It's already taken up residence in the smallest room in our house!

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:It's already taken up residence in the smallest room in our house!
Your library? 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I just checked... there are six books in there at present..

Here's an example of the book mentioned above:

https://imgur.com/a/VRtUn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have always been fascinated by the two porcelain figures of Harlequin and Columbine. I would love to own my own set or see the actual figures that Agatha owned herself.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Here's something else that may interest you Chrissie - although as you are such a keen Agatha Christie fan, you may already know about it?
A CONNECTION BETWEEN AGATHA AND OUR FORMER VICARAGE???
JulietteJuliette Torquay Fan
February 10 in About Christie
Hello! As a keen Christie fans, we were excited to recently purchase a large Victorian villa, Heathcliff House, Newton Road, close to the original site of Ashfield in Barton Road, Torquay, Agatha's childhood home. A photograph of the property can be seen at http://www.heathcliffhouse.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The house has been used as a bed and breakfast for a significant number of years and we continue to ply this trade from the premises. The house is the former vicarage for St Saviour's church which is now the Greek Orthodox Church. We understand from a number of recent returning guests (who told us the same story independently of one another) that there used to be a plaque on the house stating that Agatha Christie used the vicarage as the layout for vicarages in her books. We don't have this plaque but are very interested to know if anyone has any knowledge of this information as it would make a simply wonderful story to share on our website and facebook page! We have had guests staying from afar as Germany, Australia and the USA coming to walk the Christie Mile and visit the blue plaque in Barton Road as well as the beautiful Greenway. Any help with verifying this story would be greatly appreciated!
Tagged: the murder at the vicarage About Christie
http://community.agathachristie.com/dis ... age#latest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Agatha was baptised at All Saints Church, Torre, in Devon. Her father, having gifted money to the church, ensured his daughter's entry as a 'founder member'. A short walk from here is the old Vicarage, Newton Road - now the Heathcliff Hotel. Tea at the Vicarage seemed a fairly frequent event for the Miller family, so it's not surprising that Agatha sought advice from family friend, the Reverend Harold Petty on ecclesiastical matters when she was writing The Murder at the Vicarage (1930). St Mary Mead is the fictional location, Colonel Protheroe the ill-fated victim, but Agatha's new sleuth, Miss Marple, ably assists the vicar, Leonard Clement, to solve the mystery.
http://www.travelthruhistory.com/html/art18.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Want a great place to stay while you explore and discover South Devon? Relax and unwind at Heathcliff House. Located in a central position in Torquay, just 200 metres from Agatha Christie’s birthplace on Barton Road,

https://www.heathcliffhouse.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Harley Quin has always been one of mny favourite Christie regulars. Not a detective, as such, but a source of inspiration.

Harley Quin is a mystery. He appears and disappears unexpectedly and by strange tricks of light and reflections; making his clothes seem brightly multicoloured like the theatrical Harlequin.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

pete9012S wrote:Here's something else that may interest you Chrissie - although as you are such a keen Agatha Christie fan, you may already know about it?

Hello! As a keen Christie fans, we were excited to recently purchase a large Victorian villa, Heathcliff House, Newton Road, close to the original site of Ashfield in Barton Road, Torquay, Agatha's childhood home. A photograph of the property can be seen at http://www.heathcliffhouse.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Hi Pete,

This was very helpful indeed!
Now I know where we'll stay when we'll visit Greenway in 2020! :D
I printed it out for our future Southern England trip.
Thank you so much.
Was not aware how close Torquay is from Greenway and the river Dart.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

In The Body In The Library - 1942 - Agatha includes a reference to herself!
II

As they left the bar, they were accosted by a small boy of about nine years old.

He burst immediately into excited speech. “I say, are you the detectives? I’m Peter Carmody. It was my grandfather, Mr. Jefferson, who rang up the police about Ruby.

Are you from Scotland Yard? You don’t mind my speaking to you, do you?”
Colonel Melchett looked as though he were about to return a short answer, but Superintendent Harper intervened.

He spoke benignly and heartily. “That’s all right, my son. Naturally interests you, I expect?”

“You bet it does. Do you like detective stories? I do. I read them all, and I’ve got autographs from Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie and Dickson Carr and H. C. Bailey. Will the murder be in the papers?”

“It’ll be in the papers all right,” said Superintendent Harper grimly.

“You see, I’m going back to school next week and I shall tell them all that I knew her—really knew her well.”

“What did you think of her, eh?” Peter considered. “Well, I didn’t like her much. I think she was rather a stupid sort of girl.

Agatha Christie. The Body in the Library

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thanks Pete. I have shared it with GAD members. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

They sound like my type of people! I guess GAD may mean 'Golden Age (of) Detection'?

I'm trying to get hold of this book in any format at the moment:

Herbert Adams (1874-1958)

The Golf House Murder - English title: John Brand's Will, 1933.

A non-Bennion. A month after the black sheep relatives of a wealthy man moves in with him, he has changed his will, leaving all to them and cutting out his beloved goddaughter. And then he dies. The family solicitor suspects skullduggery and sets out to solve the case. Nice picture of life among the country house set.

Society Member