Agatha Christie

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by Francis »

There's nothing left to do but see the Mousetrap again and hope they don't erase my memory again!
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Courtenay wrote:Well, that's the point (and one of the reasons why the play is still going after more than 60 years)... I mentioned it specifically because I've had another of Agatha Christie's all-time greats, Roger Ackroyd, permanently spoiled for me by some blabbing reviewer (I forget who or where) revealing who the murderer was. :x So I was just saying I wish all Christie readers could be held to the same vow of secrecy as The Mousetrap's audience!!
Or is it down to people flocking to St Martin's because the play has run for so long its a point of honour to keep it going :? ? I read recently that Agatha gave the financial rights to the play to her grandson Matthew Pritchard as a 9th birthday present so guess he's extremely pleased its gone from strength to strength :wink:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,her grandson did very well out of that.Agatha had no idea the play was going to be such a long term success.

Agatha also delegated the author's rights in Curtain to her daughter Rosalind. The rights of Sleeping Murder went to her husband Max Mallowan....
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wonder if she would have goven the royalties to her grandson had she known how long it would run?! You can hear some of Mathew's talks on his grandmother here.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I saw the Mousetrap last year when it came to Ipswich and thankfully had no idea of what the story line was about. It was very good, and I certainly wouldn't want to spoil the end for anyone. Even though I now know who/what did 'it', I would still like to see it again at some point.

Interesting to hear which Agatha Christie book has been voted the best. My favourite is The Man in the Brown Suit, but probably because I like the romance of the book. I don't think I'd rate And Then There Were None very highly though, maybe it's because I've seen so many film versions, all of which mucked around with the ending, and it's been rather spoilt for me.

I'm trying to think which other books are my favourites, and I'm finding it hard to think of the books rather than TV adaptations! Based on those, I'd say most of the Joan Hickson Miss Marples.

Maybe we should have a poll to see who is our favourite regular Agatha Christie sleuth?
Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

How great that The Mousetrap is showing in theatres country-wide. It was fully booked in London for years, and I was shocked (though elated) to find there had been a cancellation when I enquired for tickets for one of my husband's birthday celebrations many years ago at the St Martin's Theatre.

I'm a Poirot fan, particularly enjoyed the fabulous films MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Albert Finney) and DEATH ON THE NILE (Peter Ustinov) both with all-star international casts, but also liked the Joan Hickson TV version of Miss Marple.
Last edited by floragord on 09 Sep 2015, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes I was thrilled it came here, as I'd wanted to go for years, but it just wasn't practical for me to go and see it in London.

I'm not as keen on Poirot as I am Miss Marple.

I caught a snippet of an Agatha Christie on TV today, The Sittaford Mystery, but I'm sure it was billed as a Miss Marple, and I thought it was a stand alone novel.
Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

You're not wrong, Katharine. The ITV 'Agatha Christie's Marple' series had the crazy idea of taking Poirot and other Christie novels and adapting them as if Miss Marple was the central character.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Lyn Stone-Artist

Agatha Christie Nemesis is one of Christie’s novels that I recently illustrated for The Agatha Book Collection. Today I am going to share with your some of the preliminary sketches and final artwork.
http://lynstone.com/tag/agatha-christie-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Domino wrote:You're not wrong, Katharine. The ITV 'Agatha Christie's Marple' series had the crazy idea of taking Poirot and other Christie novels and adapting them as if Miss Marple was the central character.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Society Member
floragord

Post by floragord »

I noticed in the news it would have been Agatha Christie's birthday today, there was a short piece about her early life, apparently she trained as a pharmacy dispenser, no doubt that came in handy for various of her plots.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes — SPOILER ALERT — her very first murder mystery, The Mysterious Affair at Styles (which introduced Poirot), involved the murderer lacing the victim's medicine with something that caused it to form a toxic sediment... :twisted: Definitely something Agatha must have learned in the dispensary!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The Official Agatha Christie Newsletter

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7f6 ... d61b6246b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for the link, Pete. I have just been looking at the Greenway site, as we were planning on going over there next week, but have just learned they are doing maintenance work, and so the boat house cannot be visited yet. So I think I'll rethink and go to Greenway when the work is complete, as I do like visiting the boathouse.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe there's been another murder and it's a crime scene.
Society Member