What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
auscatherine

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by auscatherine »

How about Indian ebay? I have bought quite a few old or out of print books via ebay in Australia.
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I don't think Indian eBay would work here, as it's British books I am in search of and many of the sellers don't even know the authors, I should think. However, the Agatha Christie novels are available in an Indian bookstore named Rediff Books, at decent prices (and no shipping charges! :D ). I might order the books from them in the future.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

Philip Mannering wrote:Hope, there is a local library where you live? Wow, you are lucky .
You couldn't call it a library. It's more like a small bookshop which has a facility for borrowing some of the books.Hmm....I thought books were available in plenty in Mumbai.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Philip Mannering

Yes, they are, Hope - but most of them are... well... not to my taste! They are mostly adult novels and the children's literature shelves are very few. Whenever I go to the nearest bookstore I find shelves and shelves of Hardy Boys (on which I've long since lost interest), Nancy Drew and other girls' books, Roald Dahl (read most of his books and found them good but not very), C.S. Lewis: I do like him and have read the Narnia series (with the exception of 'The Horse and His Boy'), and others (and not enough of Enid!). We also have another bookstore near us: that one's far better and I can usually find books wanted there.

Has anybody here read Cornelia Funke's books? I have not any of them yet but they seem promising.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Have a look here, Philip:

http://stores.ebay.in/IndiaBooksBazaar_ ... 5QQfrsrcZ1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are quite a few others (prices starting at around 80 Rp - don't know if that is good or not? It is a long time since I was in India).

You might also be interested in checking out authors Ruth Rendell and Kate Atkinson if you like crime and mystery.
Philip Mannering

Thanks for the link, Catherine. I shall check out the authors you mention, and if I like them, maybe I'll purchase them. Already though, my summer 2009 purchase list is growing terrifically high, so much that I thought perhaps they would do for the whole year! :lol: I'm looking forward to the summer holidays.
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I know what you mean, Phillip. I am keeping right away from bookshops at the moment and trying to get through all the books I have at home that I have not yet read. It is quite a good discipline, ie, makes me read things that are a bit more challenging or not my usual fare. I have just finished reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger. I could have sworn I had already read that book but it stopped being familiar about halfway through so I think I must have stopped at that point last time I tried to read it. It was worth persevering though.
Nearby
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series - Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Philip Mannering, Barney, Sooty LeNoir, Andy

Post by Nearby »

I have several books / series in the 'to read' pile at the moment. In the past, I would have devoured them from cover to cover on the day I bought them, but for some reason, these days I have to be completely in the mood before I read a new book rather than read an old one for the 100th time. When I am in the mood though, I'll zip through two or three in a nights sitting.

Authors / series I'm working my way through include:

Children's:

Anthony Horowitz / Power of Five series.
E.L. Young / STORM series
Dean Lorey / Nightmare Academy series
Charlie Fletcher / Stoneheart
Michael Scott / The Alchemyst series
Anthony Buckeridge / Jennings and Rex Milligan series.

Adult's:

Mark Billingham
Peter Robinson
J.T. Edson
Louis L'amour
Dean Koontz
Reginald Hill
Terry Pratchet (I like all his books, but the 'Johnny Maxwell' and 'Tiffany Aching' series are my absolute favourites).

And re-reading Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe' series and Ellis Peter's 'Cafael' series.

No wonder I'm running out of bookcases. :shock:
Between the years of 1947-1959, Enid Blyton used 98% of the worlds resources of ! Fact.
Chloe
Favourite book/series: The Enchanted Wood, The Secret Island
Favourite character: Carlotta

Post by Chloe »

The pile by the bed is getting larger by the day!!

Nightbirds on Nantucket - Joan Aitken
Eclipse - Stephanie Meyer
Little Plum - Rumer Godden
Blueberry Girl - Neil gaiman
Fragile things - Neil Gaiman
Grimms fairytales
Seymour Glass

Post by Seymour Glass »

I hope to soon start reading Opening to Channel: How to Connect With Your Guide by Sanaya Roman and Duane Packer. This book contains information channelled from the spirits Orin and DaBen and I'm hoping it will help me in my quest to become a medium.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Sidney Freedman, character from M*A*S*H
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have just read Island of Fog, by a certain Keith Robinson. I won't comment at this stage, as others may well be reading it!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I am waiting with baited breath for my copy to arrive. :D Keith has emailed me to say he sent it out on Friday, so I'm hoping it will be with me in the next couple of days, now I'm back from holiday.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Seymour Glass wrote:I hope to soon start reading Opening to Channel: How to Connect With Your Guide by Sanaya Roman and Duane Packer. This book contains information channelled from the spirits Orin and DaBen and I'm hoping it will help me in my quest to become a medium.
That sounds very interesting. I believe I may have some sort of 'ability' in this area but it is something that scares me so much I usually 'switch off' and away from it! Does that make any sense?
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Just finished Simon Brett's "A Series of Murders", one of his 'Charles Paris' mysteries. The scenes set around Corfe (including the castle) and Swanage were particularly interesting...I kept wondering :) when our Viv was going to appear.... 8)

And yes, there was a murder at Corfe Castle.

I liked the nutty elderly woman writer, and her even more loony sister......

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm currently reading The Outcast by Sadie Jones: an excellent debut novel, first published in 2007. Her second novel, Small Wars is due out in September.

The Simon Brett novels sound interesting, Aurélien. :D I shall have to check these out.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member