What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
auscatherine

What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by auscatherine »

I am reading Kate Atkinson's 'When Will There be Good News?' which is kind of a crime novel but with a cast of very interesting and quirky characters who really seem to jostle with one another and the plot for attention. I am really enjoying it and feeling really pleased to have discovered this author. I used to read a lot of Ruth Rendell Inspector Wexford mysteries but kind of ODed on them after getting through a whole omnibus in one go. :lol: Kate Atkinson a bit more literary and complex than Ruth Rendell, I think. I had no idea what to expect when I started this book (which was a gift from my brother) so enjoying being surprised by it. Is Kate Atkinson very well known in the UK? I don't think she is here in Australia.
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by hope189 »

I'm reading L.M. Montgomery's Emily of New Moon. It's about Emily Byrd Starr, an orphan who is sent to live with her mother's relatives after her father's death. The book tells us about Emily's life at New Moon farm. It does show a striking resemblance to Anne of green gables. But it is, nevertheless very enjoyable. A must-read for anybody who enjoyed the "Anne" series.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I think I read another Emily book in the series when I was a child. It was my mother's copy as the Emily books were all out of print then (late 70s/early 80s) or at least very hard to find. Are they back in print now?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm reading Erica James at the moment, it's her latest, titled, It's The Little Things.' The minute her latest is out I buy it in hard back.

When reading I liked to be gripped by the first few pages, enticing me to read more, if a book hasn't got that, then I'm afraid I loose interest. Erica James, stories grab me on the first page. They're up to date but for me have a unique quality about them.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm reading a factual book: 'Living back-to back' - about life in Birmingham back-to-back houses in the early 20th century (research for a family novel I'm currently rewriting :D ) and fiction I'm reading 'The Bungalo Mystery' - a 'Nancy drew' book, plus I'm reading 'Writers Magazine' and every now and then I dip into the Errol Flynn autobiography 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways'! :D

So I guess that's four different things at the moment, plus a few stories from 'The Water-lily Story Book' by E.B!! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Seymour Glass

Post by Seymour Glass »

I read several books at once so I have a few on the go:

The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler - E. L. Konigsburg

The Nature of Personal Reality (a Seth book) by Seth/Jane Roberts (Seth was a spirit she channelled and her husband transcribed Seth's dictation of books.)

Conversations With Seth by Susan M. Watkins (related to the Seth Material, this is written by a former member of Jane Roberts' ESP class who often saw Jane channelling Seth.)

The Ultimate Biography of the Bee Gees: Tales of the Brothers Gibb by Melinda Bilyeu, Hector Cook and Andrew Mon Hughes, with assistance from Joseph Brennan and Mark Crohan
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Sidney Freedman, character from M*A*S*H
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

So no J D Salinger in there, Seymour Glass?

I am also a reader who tends to have a few things on the go at once (although not as many as you!). I just finished the Kate Atkinson novel on the train this morning which freed me up to get back into Franny and Zooey (which I am re-reading after about 20 years). I am also reading some short stories that my mother lent me called Growing Up Asian in Australia edited by Alice Pung. There are some real gems in there but it is a bit unsatisfying as you just get interested in the life of a particular contributor and then they are gone again! :(
hope189

Post by hope189 »

auscatherine wrote:I think I read another Emily book in the series when I was a child. It was my mother's copy as the Emily books were all out of print then (late 70s/early 80s) or at least very hard to find. Are they back in print now?
They must be back in print as I bought my copies just last year.

I finished Emily of New Moon yesterday might and I've now started on the second book in the series- Emily climbs.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Robert Houghton wrote: and every now and then I dip into the Errol Flynn autobiography 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways'! :D

I love that book - I have never married. I have been tied up with women in one legal situation after another called marriage, but they somehow break up. :lol: Amazing man, he seemed to live about 50 lives in one lifetime.

I'm reading The Roads to Santiago by Derry Brabbs, The Poetical Works of John Keats in the Canterbury Poets series, The Man Who Was Thursday, and my children's book is War Dog by Henry Treece :lol: Oh, and a vintage cook book called Good Cheese Dishes.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Seymour Glass

Post by Seymour Glass »

auscatherine wrote:So no J D Salinger in there, Seymour Glass?
Not at the moment, though. :)

There are other books in the pipeline as well. I plan to start the K-PAX trilogy (by Gene Brewer) at some point and also Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." Sidney Freedman, character from M*A*S*H
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I am now currently reading Willard Price's Whale Adventure, the fifth book in his "Adventure" Series. I couldn't get the books in order, several of the earlier ones were not available - but it hardly matters a scrap chronologically. I've read African Adventure and Lion Adventure: both great books. Looking forward to finishing this one. 8)

I have the originals of three books stored in my computer thanks to Gutenberg - Heidi by Johanna Spyri, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas père, and Gulliver's Travels. And of course, Agatha Christie's Poirot and others. So many books to read... but I can't read them very quickly as exams loom on the horizon! :evil:
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Philip Mannering wrote:So many books to read... but I can't read them very quickly as exams loom on the horizon! :evil:
Everything, these days, seem to revolve around exams! :D

I'm in the middle of reading 3 books right now.
ABC Murders by Agatha Christie, Mystery of the whispering mummy ( Three Investigators #3) and Emily climbs ( Yes, I haven't finished it yet) by L.M. Montgomery.
Philip Mannering

The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy is a good read as I recall (I read nearly a year ago and have not re-read it since), but I thought there some better ones. I really loved The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot, and felt that 'Terror Castle' (the first book in the series) and 'Screaming Clock' weren't bad too! Of the first ten, I thought 'Vanishing Treasure' was really bad and it prevented me from reading more of that series, and I still have 'Green Ghost' to track down and read. But I'm not really in a hurry! :lol:

Hope, are Agatha Christie's books readily available where you live? From where I come, they are really quite scarce and are not available new (second-hand editions are very few too.) I have been searching for almost five to six months now for the early Poirot's, which includes The ABC Murders. It seems an interesting story, wish it was available here.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
hope189

Post by hope189 »

Philip Mannering wrote:The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy is a good read as I recall (I read nearly a year ago and have not re-read it since), but I thought there some better ones. I really loved The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot, and felt that 'Terror Castle' (the first book in the series) and 'Screaming Clock' weren't bad too! Of the first ten, I thought 'Vanishing Treasure' was really bad and it prevented me from reading more of that series, and I still have 'Green Ghost' to track down and read. But I'm not really in a hurry! :lol:
Though I've read only 4 Three Investigators books (#1,2,3 & 6) , I too feel that Stuttering parrot is the best among them. I recently found out that a local libary has copies of the 1st 10 books in the series. Looking forward to reading them. I liked Terror Castle too, but when compared to Stuttering Parrot, it doesn't seem half as good.
Philip Mannering wrote: Hope, are Agatha Christie's books readily available where you live? From where I come, they are really quite scarce and are not available new (second-hand editions are very few too.) I have been searching for almost five to six months now for the early Poirot's, which includes The ABC Murders. It seems an interesting story, wish it was available here.
They aren't easily available for sale, but there are plenty of books in the library. Though I haven't finished the book, I must say that ABC Murders seems to be a very intriguing mystery.
Philip Mannering

Hope, there is a local library where you live? Wow, you are lucky - we don't have one where I do. I have often tried to badger my parents for them to take me to the nearest library, but as they rightly say, it's too far for me. I guess I'll have to do with two new books selling bookstores and two or three marts (plus online Indian bookstores - gosh, it sounds quite a lot, but it's rather expensive!). However, often I come across books which are not available anywhere: Pah! :x