Lindsay Brown

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Lindsay Brown

Post by lizarfau »

In the thread on Anna's book, Anita mentioned Lindsay Brown - she was published, I think, in the late 1970s when she was very young, maybe 10 or 11. I think she had two books published, both of them Enid Blyton-type adventures featuring four children.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to her? She'd be late 30s by now and I was wondering if she still writes, perhaps under her married name or a pseudonym?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Lindsay Brown

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I didn't know she'd had two books published but I do still have my childhood copy of The Treasure of Dubarry Castle. Mine is a 1980 Piccolo paperback edition but the book was first published by Robert Hale Ltd in 1978. A note in the front says:
Lindsay Brown was only ten years old when she began to write this story and only twelve when it was published. The illustrator, Val Biro, has called it 'a remarkable achievement - it would do credit to an author of any age.'

Lindsay was born in Glasgow where she still lives, attending the Cleveden Secondary School and writing in her spare time.
I remember Lindsay Brown reading The Treasure of Dubarry Castle on Jackanory and I also recall hearing somewhere (can't remember where) that she didn't ask her parents for any help except when she needed a French surname for a character and one of them suggested "Dupont."

I've no idea whether she still writes (she must be in her early forties now) but it would be interesting to know.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Just found this story about Lindsay Brown: http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/books ... r-1-823335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She stopped writing for three decades and is now writing under her married name.

It's great to hear more about her.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sarah is sent to stay with the thoroughly unpleasant Thomas family after her mother leaves to care for a sick aunt.
Ah, the old 'sick aunt' plotline again!

Very interesting, Liz - thanks for the update. I will investigate further!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Investigation over! I didn't realise it was written for very young children, so I won't be investing! You can take a look inside:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mias-Magic-Uncl ... agic+Uncle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Liz - and Nigel. It's nice to have some up to date information on Lindsay Brown/MacLeod.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member