Jane Austen

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Re: Jane Austen?

Post by Timmylover »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I must admit I never really feel "caught up" in the romantic relationships in Jane Austen, even in books like Pride and Prejudice. There's something about her style of writing, or perhaps just the very formal, "mannered" era about which she's writing, that (for me, anyway), prevents a strong sense of passion coming through. I read the books mainly for the wry witticisms, keen observations and social comment.
My feelings too, Anita. I especially agree with your last sentence. For example, her 'digs' at the writers of Gothic novels in Northanger Abbey are superb. I do remember, however, feeling great concern for Marianne Dashwood (Sense and Sensibility) who became seriously ill following the rejection by Mr Willoughby. Passionate stuff indeed! I was also very relieved when Marianne's sister, Elinor, Fanny Price (Mansfield Park), and Anne Elliot (Persuasion) finally ended up with the men they so clearly loved.

I must admit that I found Emma Woodhouse (Emma) extremely irritating and shallow. I always felt that this novel was a very acute observation of the behaviour of many idle, young, privileged women of the Regency period. I have always valued Jane Austen for the qualities listed in Anita's last sentence, more than as a writer of romance.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Timmylover wrote:I must admit that I found Emma Woodhouse (Emma) extremely irritating and shallow. I always felt that this novel was a very acute observation of the behaviour of many idle, young, privileged women of the Regency period.
I barely remember Emma, compared to the other novels. Maybe Emma Woodhouse's lack of likeability is the reason.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Emma Woodhouse is an imperfect heroine, yes, but she matures nicely. Could it be that she learns, both from experience and *shock! horror!* from the older and more sensible Mr. Knightley, rather than he from her, that she annoys some women?

The provocative 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :wink:
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

No, no, no. Mr Knightley needed to teach Emma a thing or two - "Badly done, Emma, badly done".
I couldn't stand her interfering in the drippy Harriet Smith's life, and how it almost prevented that poor girl from marrying the only appropriate man who, in her anaemic way, she probably loved.

I also disliked her dealings with Jane Fairfax and Miss Bates. I believe that she was envious of Jane, who was her superior in all but social standing. In my case I disliked Emma because she was not very likeable. Apparently before the novel was written Jane Austen wrote "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like". She succeeded in this.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

I'm her fan too! I like her books very much. I read all of her books last year. And I watched a lot of screen version of Jane Austen's books. My favorite films are Northanger Abbey (2007), P&P (BBC version) and Sense And Sensibility (1995). I think, Jane Austen is a VERY popular author, because, there are a lot of screen version of her books!
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Whilst I've got DVDs of the BBC and other films of Jane Austen's books, 'tis the books themselves that are the main attraction.

At the moment I am partly through re-reading 'Persuasion'.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Aurélien wrote:Whilst I've got DVDs of the BBC and other films of Jane Austen's books, 'tis the books themselves that are the main attraction.

At the moment I am partly through re-reading 'Persuasion'.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :D
I agree with you, Aurélien. :D The film versions are good to watch, but to get the real essence of Jane Austen you need to read the books. Persuasion is my favourite of her great novels.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

'Tis passing strange, Eddie, but with advancing years :lol: I too have come to appreciate Jane Austen's 'Persuasion' above her other books. As a young man 'twas (naturally) 'Pride and Prejudice' that I most enjoyed, but I guess that one :wink: matures as the decades pass.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' 8)
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

I agree, the movies are relaxing and pleasant to watch but don't replace the books which are far superior and always a delight to revisit.

cheers
Sue
Society Member
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I feel as though "Pride and Prejudice" has been stripped of all the wit and social commentary Austen imbued it with and watered down to a mere love story. Not just by Hollywood but by writers who churn out sequel upon sequel.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Which is why :shock: I won't read any of the *shudder* sequels to Jane Austen's tales!

I do feel, however, that one of the 'completion' novels - "Sanditon", finished by the anonymous 'Another Lady' - is at least bearable....... :o

Curmudgeonly old codger, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :roll:
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I have one called "The Bar Sinister." It was entertaining, but not meaningful. I have a feeling that sums up a lot of the sequels.

I did get a kick out of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and it's prequel "Dawn of the Dreadfuls." But they didn't take themselves seriously, which makes a difference.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Persuasion seems quite weak to me but it's been a while since I last read it. Favourites are Mansfield Park, P and P and ... hmm, Emma, maybe? It does change according to what I reread latest but Persuasion and Northanger Abbey tend to spend a lot of time at the bottom of the list.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Poppy »

Split from another thread.

Following your recommendation in another thread, floragord, I purchased a copy of Death Comes to Pemberley (P.D.James) off Amazon the other week for around £3 and am intrigued by the sinister and hooking blurb! I can't wait to pick this one up for a good old cosy read hopefully tomorrow! Currently, however, I am thoroughly enjoying the last few Chapters of Jane Austen's brilliant Sense and Sensibility. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by floragord »

That sounds a great deal, Poppy!, I'm sure you'll hugely enjoy the book - I think you'll find it will fit in well after SENSE AND SENSIBILITY as P D James has superbly fitted a whodunit into the classic Jane Austen "mould"! I was reading today that Jane and her Mother were able beer makers, no doubt a useful skill when it was DIY rather than nipping down to Waitrose!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.