The Hundred and One Dalmatians

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Re: The Hundred and One Dalmatians

Post by Boodi »

I remember borrowing "The Hundred And One Dalmations" from the school library when I was about nine years old and I really loved it. However, I have not read it for years, although I enjoyed the film version. I also liked "The Wind in the Willows" and "Black Beauty".

Funny enough, the 'Christmas feel' is something that sort of goes over my head....it never really made that much impression on me (except in "The Six Cousins Again").
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: The Hundred and One Dalmatians

Post by RainbowJude »

I've only read Dodie Smith's The Hundred and One Dalmatians once. I enjoyed it and also really enjoy the Disney adaptation, which is on my list of DVDs to buy; I want to get the Platinum Edition and might get the box set that includes the sequel to the film (101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure) on a third disc. (Even though I generally dislike the Disney DTV sequels, there is a Will Young Music video that is on the DVD - and I'm a big fan of Will Young.)

I also read Smith's sequel, The Starlight Barking, once, as I got both books in an omnibus edition. I found the jump into light science fiction in this novel a bit strange, but I would like to re-read it again sometime. I remember enjoying finding out what Cruella De Vil had been up to since the events of the first novel. Now I guess I'd be more interested in touches like who Cadpig's "pet" is! This is another of the books that is on the shelf at my parents' house, so I might get around to it in the Christmas holidays.

Later days
David