RD Morrell

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
davejeffery
Favourite book/series: Famous Five and The Secret Seven

RD Morrell

Post by davejeffery »

Just finished Rowan's Four Sherlocks book. For what it's worth, here's what I thought of it.

Sometimes there are things in life that remind you of the joys of childhood. Be it a piece of music; an old TV show or a long-forgotten book in a box in the attic, once experienced, it is as though we are aboard Well’s Time Machine; cast back to an age when the world was a basic mix of: good and bad, and right and wrong.

Put simply, The Four Sherlocks is such a time machine. Its heady blend of Blyton, Dixon and Keene, should give it an archetypal feel; instead, Morrell’s subtle wit and creative panache simultaneously re-creates and re-invents the children’s mystery genre.

10 year old Edward Brent, lover of mystery and adventure, and owner of one smart dog called Espion, finds that his dream of being involved in a real life piece of detective work is about to become a reality. When his new neighbour, Mr Coune, moves in next door, strange and nocturnal comings and goings immediately rouse Edward’s eagle-eyed suspicions. With his two friends Paul and Billy (and Espion as Official Tracker), they form The Four Sherlocks and their first case is to investigate what is going on with their estranged neighbour. Kidnapping, skulduggery and action ensue and the reader is thrilled and charmed in equal measure.

In this techno-obsessed world, it would be easy to consider such a tale trite and irrelevant, but this would be like saying that the likes of Blyton, Dahl and Carroll are just as obsolete, when the tremendous interest in their books suggests otherwise.

I hear that The Four Sherlocks is part of a series. When book 2 is published, I – for one – will be taking this wonderful time machine for another spin.

Dave Jeffery

PS: If you love Blyton; you'll love Morrell!
'She always did love to dance....'