Milly-Molly-Mandy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Didn't bother me, It actually intrieged me as I had never heard it before, I wonder if people still speak like that?

Was thinking what is this about a trowel MMM is always going on about I don't think it has anything to do with garden tools.
There is always something else new to learn.
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I just assumed it was a trowel for "farver" to garden with............what do you think it is?!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Susie

Post by Susie »

jen wrote:I just assumed it was a trowel for "farver" to garden with............what do you think it is?!
I thought that they each had their own towel, and they called it a trowel. Honestly I have no clue what it is, I don't think farver did any gardening, did he? :P
There is always something else new to learn.
auscatherine

Re: Mill-Molly-Mandy

Post by auscatherine »

I am reading these to my almost 6yo son at the moment. He loves them. My parents read them to me when I was his age from their old copies. I also have a copy of a JLB short story collection called The Dawn Shops. I read these to my daughter a few years ago and she enjoyed them. Will have to see if I can dig them out for my son. There is one really poignant story in the collection about a fairy who wants to be a girl. And anotehr about a little girl from a large family who has to have her bedroom in the coal room under the house (until she gets a load of coal dumped onto her by mistake!). Does anyone else remember these stories?
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hello dear Milly-Molly-Mandy fans,

Yesterday I intended to check if anybody had already created a thread on Norman Dale (nobody created one, so I did) and that's when I discovered to my big delight this M-M-M thread.
Although my native language is German, I grew up in the mid sixties reading these books as well.
The German publishing house Franz Schneider only translated a few chapters and published two books, but I LOVED Milli-Molli as she was called in Germany.

Many years went by, in 2002 I immigrated to the US, last year I got married again and finally took the time to check a big box with childrens books which I had taken with me when I immigrated. Both "Milli-Molli" books were among them and this time I paid more attention to the publishing information page in the beginning of the book and noticed that there were actually four books by J. L. Brisley (that was the only information on her name in Germany).
So I finally googled Brisley and found out that her full name is Joyce Lankester (why not Lancaster?) Brisley and that she actually wrote more than 4 M-M-M books, probably 8 books or even more.

Anyway, I recently ordered the first four books (still waiting for "Further Doings of M-M-M") and my husband created a spreadsheet on the backside of an old large poster for me. So now I can write down in chronological order every book and each chapter title from each book and figure out how the missing chapters in my two German Milli-Molli books are called in English. I can also find out the chronological order of all the chapters.

I wish there would be a bigger website on Joyce Lankester Brisley. I found only one and of course Wikipedia, but the website doesn't contain much information. Was there a real living person who inspired Brisley to write about M-M-M?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

PS: The German Milli-Molli illustrations are even more beautiful than Brisley's original illustrations. I wish I knew how to scan and put one of her illustrations into this text.
My favorite chapter is when M-M-M sleeps in a tent in her garden (still need to find that in the English book copies).
When I was a child, I always believed that M-M-M was living in the US. It was just recently that I figured out she was from the UK.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Never read it but heard of it. I do have a Millie and a Molly, who i'm enemies with.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Re: Milly-Molly-Mandy

Post by Moonraker »

Milly Molly Mandy
Sweet as sugar candy,
Pretty little eyes of blue
Every body would be
If they only could be
Walking out with you
Wishin on a Monday
When I see you Sunday
That your heart is true
Milly Molly Mandy
Sweet as sugar candy
I'm in love with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZd4nob_GQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for the poem. Never heard it before.
Maybe it was this poem that inspired Brisley to write her books?
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
honesty
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Yes, I must say the Milly Molly Mandy stories bring back memories when I was a child. Favorite character would be Susan and MMM.
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I remember first reading the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories when I was in infant school. I thought they were great and what I particularly loved was the map of the village at the beginning of each book. This encouraged me to draw maps of my own area and was the start of a life-long interest in maps. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

That song is a blast from the past. I don't remember much about the show but remember the song with great affection. Thanks Nigel. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Chrissie777 wrote:Hello Nigel,
Thanks for the poem. Never heard it before.
Maybe it was this poem that inspired Brisley to write her books?
The song, Milly-Molly-Mandy was a minor hit in 1973 for Glyn Poole (not Glen Poole as stated on youtube). It was promoted on the TV series Junior Showtime. As Joyce Lankester Brisley's first Milly-Molly-Mandy book was published in 1928, it is likely that the song was inspired by the books. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
honesty
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

This is what I call memories!!! Yes, I have always know MMM all my life, in fact. Its such a good series and nearly everyone I know has at least one book about MMM on their bookshelf.
I just love the simple but beautiful illustrations shown in each book.

My favourite character would have to be: MMM and Little-Friend Susan.
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

If you are a fan of Milly Molly Mandy you're in for a treat.

Molly Molly Mandy Spends a Penny - Judi Hughes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NebM-iB6Ieo
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member