Milly-Molly-Mandy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
summersavoury

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Post by summersavoury »

Is anyone else a MMM fan? I love Joyce Lankester Brisley's illustrations. Like the stories they are very simplistic but oh so charming. They are very hard to find in the old editions although they have been reprinted; not the same without the original illustrations though.
summersavoury

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Post by summersavoury »

:oops: oops should have checked my preview. I forgot the y in milly.
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

Milly Molly Mandy - now that brings back some memories! It's ages since I've even thought about her! I had one MMM book as a child - and I have very vague memories of her being sent on an errand to a shop to get some cotton, and maybe some buttons, or needles, or hooks and eyes? Something happened on the way, and I don't think she ended up getting them, but I can't remember what happened.... Any idea what the title of this book is? I'd love to try to find it on ebay just for old times' sake - but I have no idea which book to look for!
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
summersavoury

Milly Molly Mandy

Post by summersavoury »

I have several of the books, each contains a series of complete stories.
I think the one you are thinking off is 'MMM Stories' where MMM Goes Errands.
I bought one off ebay, just putting in Milly Molly Mandy or Joyce Lankester Brisley as a search, that will find them.
HeatherS

Post by HeatherS »

Thank you for the info - just placed a bid on a copy!
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
Moonface

Post by Moonface »

I have always loved MMM books. The original illustrations are so attractive.
Moonface
noddy13

Other authors

Post by noddy13 »

Far and even further than that away... as distant from the spirit of EB's writing as possible, are the literary creations of a man named Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Now folks may think Im more than a wee bit mad to attempt to discover any similarity between my two favourite authors.. but I find fantasy in the works of both authors, magical realism in both, and while the complexity of their writings may differ vastly, they both have the ability to captivate their readers. and transport me to literary heaven.

Unfortunately, Gabriel Garcia had no illustrations in his books....but I have to confess that whatever be the situation, I find myself hastily reaching for a Five adventure, when I recover from one of Garcia's novels....
HeatherS

Post by HeatherS »

A follow-up to my earlier post:

I'm now reading MMM to my girls (aged 5 and 7) - and they're loving it! There are a few very old-fashioned words that I occasionally need to explain, and living in Australia they've had no experience at all with thatched rooves, and didn't quite understand how MMM's blew off and was scattered across the lawn - but despite those minor hitches they absolutely adore it. They especially love the map at the front, and finding out where on the map MMM is visiting, and which way she would have walked to get there.

Brisley must have been quite a revolutionary in her time, writing in simple childrens' english in a way that young girls actually talk - lots of ands, and in very long sentences without taking a breath. I wonder if she was ever accused of "dumbing down" children, being written in the twenties? And I wonder if Enid ever read them to her young charges - they would have been new books around that time.
Heather
Susie

Post by Susie »

I have one book 3 in one, and when I was a child I really enjoyed it. I like the way it was simply written.
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

I'm currently reading one *chapter* each night to my daughter - she's almost 4 and she loves them :D
we have a single volume with all the stories in it, and she loves the map at the beginning of each book the best, we spend ages finding all the various houses where everyone lives.
There is the odd thing I have to explain to her - pony and trap springs to mind, she thought it was like a giant mousetrap to catch a pony lol, but she adores MMM - we call her Milly for short too.
Katie

WOW

Post by Katie »

Now heres a set of books I forgot all about !

Thank you for bringing up fond memories ! I would love to find some of these, gesh, I had the biggest collection of second hand books as a child, my mum hunted second hand stores and I had my own private library I used to lend to others in the small village we grew up in !

I am making a list of books I would now like to look at again and MMM is definitely one set I loved !!

Thank you again

Smiles
Katie
Susie

Post by Susie »

I love her Little silent friend Susan. She hardly says a word in the the stories.
There is always something else new to learn.
Katy

Post by Katy »

i love milly molly mandy! she taught me the word 'solemn' when i was a wee one!
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

i have always loved MMM books true books they are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

such memories
:lol: :lol:

Nicky
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I thought I was the only one - everyone I ask has never heard of MMM! I read it to my daughter as her first chapter book and she loved it although I think I need to explain inflation as she now thinks you can buy pretty much anything for a penny!

DOn't like the cover of the 3-in1 that I've got.

Is it just me or is the whole "farver" and "muvver" thing in the first book really annoying?
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water