The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Lenoir »

Your books are in very good condition, Aurelien!

Definitely worth browsing here now for anyone who remembers these books, but I don’t think the Cherrys are well known enough to warrant having a separate link to this thread, even if time permitted.

If I type "Cherrys" "Will Scott" into google* it does return this thread so hopefully people looking for information on this relatively obscure series will come here and find the information they wanted, e.g. the scans of the dust jackets and so on.
*However, if I leave out the quotes it doesn’t find it, not on the first three pages anyway.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Lenoir wrote:Your books are in very good condition, Aurelien!
Bought my copies new, decades back when they were still 'in-print', Lenoir.....is why they all still have their dustjackets.
Just did an ABE booksearch for copies of Will Scott's Cherrys books and was shocked to find that each of my aging, foxed, but dust-jacketed copies is now worth anything from $60 all the way up to $399 in American dollars....aargh! :shock: At those prices I'd not be able to afford to replace them if they vanished in a housefire or burglary.
Lenoir wrote:If I type "Cherrys" "Will Scott" into google* it does return this thread so hopefully people looking for information on this relatively obscure series will come here and find the information they wanted, e.g. the scans of the dust jackets and so on.
*However, if I leave out the quotes it doesn’t find it, not on the first three pages anyway.
Never thought of using quote-marks, Lenoir, but I'll give it a go. I use the Copernic multi-search-engine programme, rather than Google.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Last edited by Aurélien on 03 Aug 2009, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

The 8th 'Cherrys' book, The Cherries on Zigzag Trail starts with a picnic. This 'happening' takes the Bigs (adults) and Littles (children) on an adventure trail to the south-east of 'Market Cray'.

That they're able to use the train to get to their 'Coronation Hill' picnic site rather suggests that the action takes place prior to the :twisted: Beeching closures of so many local UK railway lines.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

'Cherrys' #9, 'The Cherrys' Mystery Holiday' has the Cherry, Wilks and Pringle families on a 1-day trip to their favourite beach resort, St. Denis Bay. As usual 8), there is plenty 'happening'. :lol:

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I like the cheek of the bit of a dig at Blyton on the blurb! :D
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Moonraker wrote:I like the cheek of the bit of a dig at Blyton on the blurb! :D
A dig at EB, yes, how 8) could it not be, remembering how many children's books she had in-print at any one time? But smugglers and treasure also featured as 'stock adjuncts' in a great many contemporary children's books by a long list of other writers of the 40's, 50's and 60's.

The blurb for Cherrys #9 is also hinting at one of the key features of the 'Cherrys' series - that their 'happenings' are much more closely tied to real life than is usual in children's books of the period.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

The characters tend to be quite inventive at getting the most out of ordinary things and the stories are mainly about things that could happen to anyone.

I could actually contribute the next cover, as my copy of book ten is in good condition with the all-important dust jacket intact and clean.
But for continuity and uniformity, I think Aurélien should continue the good work!
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

My turn to do the honours.
Cherrys #10 The Cherrys and Silent Sam

What is the mystery of Silent Sam? Is it a happening or something else?
This book was bought at a charity kiosk in central Johannesburg several years ago. You never know where and when something you want will turn up so I’m still hopeful of adding to my collection.
The land of Silent Sam.

I read it over the weekend and I see that another difference between these books and Enid’s is that when Bets asks a question it is always answered and it is a way of explaining a difficult word to the reader. However, when Pam asks a question she is usually ignored, as the others are too busy thinking about the mystery on hand.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Great pictures, Lenoir. Thanks for posting the links.

Yes, little Pam was a fair bit younger than the other 3 Cherry kids, and that can be hard - though little Sally Wilks was even younger.

As Will Scott wrote at least the first books in his 'Cherrys' series for his grand-children one wonders if he based the Cherry children on them....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

The eleventh 'Cherrys' book, 'The Cherrys’ Famous Case' is set away from Market Cray and St. Denis Bay in the suburban streets of 'Westhampton', wherever that is.

To some degree, this book reminds me of EB's 'Five Find-Outers' series, but :P sans the dog.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Lenoir

Post by Lenoir »

I think I have read that one from the library, back in the olden days. And I vaguely remember that there was a surprise ending to the mystery.
No dogs in this series, Mr Lenoir would approve of that!
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Lenoir wrote:I think I have read that one from the library, back in the olden days. And I vaguely remember that there was a surprise ending to the mystery.
No dogs in this series, Mr Lenoir would approve of that!
:lol: Very true, Lenoir. Likewise his soulmate, Uncle Quentin! One doubts, too, that either of those fiery-tempered but brilliant scientists would have appreciated the Cherrys' monkey (Mr. Watson) or their parrot (Joseph).

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
patrick1

The cherrys and co. by will scott obviously!

Post by patrick1 »

Loved these as a child, pleased to see they are so fondly remembered, I am currently selling two first editions on ebay, have a look in the buy/sell section in this forum, enjoy the artwork too - it's great! :)
Aurélien

Re: The cherrys and co. by will scott obviously!

Post by Aurélien »

patrick1 wrote:Loved these as a child, pleased to see they are so fondly remembered, I am currently selling two first editions on ebay, have a look in the buy/sell section in this forum, enjoy the artwork too - it's great! :)
Thanks, Patrick, but I've got them all.....

.....but you might like to pm Lenoir.....*Spies Moonraker waving a cutlass in the distance, uttering menacing cries, and so makes a hasty exit*

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Love the dust jackets of these books,Aurelien, makes you want to step inside and have a read. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member