The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I always left-click on links. They then open in a new window which can be closed in the usual way, taking me back to the website.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you left click on the x (Firefox) at the right-hand end of the tab label, or at the end (WE7), the tab should close.
Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I always left-click too.

Nigel is right - the tab should close when you click the 'x' at the right-hand end of the tab panel of IE7. Rather the same with Firefox.
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I always left-click on links. They then open in a new window which can be closed in the usual way, taking me back to the website.

Anita
Trouble is, Anita, that a left-click on an image link here is now bringing up that red 'interdiction' [verbotten] circle...the one with a single diagonal bar across it. Any thoughts on this? :evil:

Aurélien bangs head against wall
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

• How could you possibly resist......
    going on a 'happening' adventure with the Cherrys.
Just one look at the cover picture of #1, 'The Cherrys of River House' and you'll want more... 8)

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Forget the adventure, Aurelien; I like the look of the pub... :D
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Moonraker wrote:Forget the adventure, Aurelien; I like the look of the pub... :D
A 'happening' with lashings of beer and a [so-called] ploughman's lunch, eh, Moonraker.....doubtless :roll: why Captain Cherry isn't pictured outside the public house in the car. 8)

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

In the cover picture for #2 in Will Scott's deservedly famous series,
The Cherrys and Company,
Captain Cherry has rejoined his wife and 4 children (plus the 2 Pringle kids) for a picnic lunch.....what Pam [the littlest Cherry] called a 'bang kwit'.

Sorry, Moonraker, 8) no pub in sight.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Last edited by Aurélien on 08 Apr 2009, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Hmm, the coast seems to be clear...nary a paramedic in sight.... :P

In the third Cherrys book, ’The Cherrys By The Sea’ the children at last get to muck about in boats. Only – as is usual for this series – Captain Cherry is :shock: among those present during the action, aka the ‘happenings’.

To assuage Moonraker’s thirst, illustrator Lilian Buchanan has included at least one (residential) hotel in the accompanying map of 'St Denis Bay'....don't know if this is based on a real UK seaside town, but [in case anyone wants to rise to the challenge and check it out :wink: ] Will Scott came from Yorkshire, and later lived in Herne Bay, Kent for many years.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

With the 4th of Will Scott's 'Cherrys' series, 'The Cherrys and the Pringles',the action returns to Market Cray.
Lilian Buchanan's fascinating map this time gives us an enlarged view of the central part of Market Cray, rotated 90 degrees left from the usual angle. Rather amusingly, the Market Square is mis-labelled as 'Market Cray'. Enjoy. 8)

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

In the 5th book in Will Scott's 'Cherrys' series, 'The Cherries and the Galleon', the Cherry family find :wink: a novel way to raise money for the fund to help Market Cray buy its own children's playing field.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ *Thinks: Now this post should bring our Moonraker in, :lol: under full sail and with guns blazing!*
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Nice one.
Good to see what the Galleon looks like with its jacket on! I have books 3,4 and 5, but only no.4 has a dustjacket.
I came across a copy of Five go to Mystery Moor the other day, dated 1954. It has an original dustjacket with a few tears in it - very good going for me as most books I find don't have jackets.
(I'll let everyone know when I find another Cherrys book with or without a jacket! )
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Lenoir wrote:Nice one.
Good to see what the Galleon looks like with its jacket on! I have books 3,4 and 5, but only no.4 has a dustjacket.
Glad you liked the cover pic for Cherrys #5, Lenoir. Aren't those crisply-coloured Buchanan dust-jackets great. You must have hoped for contributions like this when you launched this thread.

By the end of the year I hope to have a link here to the dust-jacket of each of the remaining Cherrys books. As Cherrys #6, 'The Cherrys and the Double Arrow' was dealt with on the first two pages of this thread the next one will be Cherrys #7.

Mayhap we should be negotiating with Tony and Keith etc to set up a semi-independent Cherrys webpage, with a link on the 'Other Authors Board' here. Then we could indulge in reviews, insert pictures directly into posts, and become more visible to Cherrys readers in the wider world. But *sigh* I [for one] lack the necessary energy, endless patience, computer skills, money etc, etc.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aurélien wrote: ‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ *Thinks: Now this post should bring our Moonraker in, :lol: under full sail and with guns blazing!*
Hmm, it seems much too professional compared to the antics of us Wiltshire yokels!
Mayhap we should be negotiating with Tony and Keith etc to set up a semi-independent Cherrys webpage, with a link on the 'Other Authors Board' here.
I think Tony has got far too much on his plate at the moment! That wouldn't be the cherry on the cake for him! We also don't want to distract Keith, either! :D
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Thanks, Moonraker.

[For my favourite in the series, #6, 'The Cherrys and the Double Arrow', please eyeball several of the postings on pages 1 and 2 of this thread.]

No. 7 in this wonderful series, 'The Cherrys on Indoor Island' takes place inside the Cherry's home, River House, during an especially wet period when adventuring outdoors was utterly out of the question. To quote the opening paragraph of Chapter 1:
  • 'What a day it was! Rain! rain! rain! And it wasn't ordinary rain, either. It was rain that snarled and hissed and thumped on the windows as if it meant to force its way into the house.'
We have plenty of rainy days...rainy weeks, even....out here in New Zealand, so this time I'll restrain myself from my usual comments about the English weather.

Anyone who has ever been stuck inside the house with 4 grizzly but healthy kids in such weather is welcome to try the inventive Captain Cherry's solution....if they :P don't mind the extra noise and confusion that this brings upon them...

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’