The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hopefully it was only a temporary glitch then.

I know what you mean about "Cherrys"!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Shinglepringle

Post by Shinglepringle »

Those of you who enjoy The Cherrys may like to know that there seems to be a new website about Will Scott that looks quite interesting - http://www.willscottart.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It mentions a forthcoming publication about him which also features on one of its covers a preliminary mock-up by Will Scott of a Cherry book dust jacket. Obviously, as all Cherry fans will know, Lilian Buchanan eventually became the series illustrator.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm sure Aurélien will be interested in this website but, as he's such a big fan, I expect he already knows about it. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Thanks, that is interesting. I look forward to more developments on the site.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

New to me. Most interesting. :D

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' 8)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I had another look at the site. Some interesting historical information and photos there!

Plenty of Cherrys books up for sale on ebay, by the way. But look at the prices! “The Cherrys and the Blue Balloon” is going for £299.99 and that’s not the most expensive one listed.
I remember my local town library had that one in the early '70s. Nowadays, libraries have book and CD sales and raffles to raise extra cash to buy books. If only they had held on to their Cherrys books!

edit. my 1234th post!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm lucky to have one Cherrys that was my mum's, and I got another free (well I paid for postage) from Cherie in The Netherlands.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

I have all 14 Cherrys books only because I bought them whilst they were still in-print, feeling a right berk 'cos by then I was already out in the working world.

I did this because the unusual faithfulness of the illustrations and maps to the text in the first few Cherrys titles really grabbed me. (This at a time when :twisted: children's book dustjackets and other illustrations sometimes contradicted the text instead of helping readers to follow it.)

Now, I'm glad that I did buy them! :D

'Aurélien Arkadiusz'
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

What absolutely ridiculous prices being asked for the Cherrys books on ebay - they are all ex-library books too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

What ridiculous prices indeed, Tony! Since Aurélien made me aware of this series, I have searched second-hand bookshops and charity shops in the hope of finding copies of the books at reasonable prices. Sadlly, all to no avail! So it seems that if you really want copies, you're going to have to pay the silly ebay prices. :cry:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

If you look at the completed listings http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/Books-Comics- ... te=1&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you'll see that wo have sold recently one at £62.99 and the other at £22.49.

The unsold books are all priced at nearly £100 or more, I wonder why :roll:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Someone paying £62.99 for The Cherrys and the Pringles without a dustwrapper is pretty stupid as it is one of the easier books to obtain. For some reason the first four books are much easier to buy than the rest and the dustwrapper is one of the nicest things about these books.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I've ever come across these books, either when I was at school, or in secondhand book shops since. I had to smile at the title of one of them The Cherrys and the Pringles. My in-laws always serve Pringles crisps when having people round, although normally in the summer they have strawberries on offer instead of cherries. Sorry, I have a weird sense of humour.
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Pringle just might be a Scots surname, Katharine.

Good luck with the search, Eddie. I haven't seen any of the Cherrys books at a NZ book-sale for more than 20 years though, as Tony once pointed out, often a number of the hideously-overpriced Cherrys titles listed for sale on the web are being offered by Kiwi second-hand booksellers.

Tony, the earlier books being reprinted several times may explain their greater availability. The relative rareness of overpriced second-hand copies of the later titles is probably down to there having been fewer printings - e.g. very likely only one printing of 'The Cherrys and the Blue Balloon'

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks, Aurélien. I'll keep searching.

The only one of the series I have read is The Cherrys and the Pringles, which was kindly lent to me by Julie about three years ago. :D

Society Member