The Cherrys by Will Scott

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: The Cherrys by Will Scott

Post by Fiona1986 »

My memory is appalling... I know the copy of my mum's is Cherrys to the Rescue but I can't for the life of me remember which one I bought recently. It might have been Pringles but I'm not sure :oops:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Maybe I should have held onto my Cherry's book and put it up for sale now. I may have got a couple of hundered for it!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

What did you do with your Cherrys book, Julie?
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'll stick with the Pringles....
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Eddie Muir wrote:What did you do with your Cherrys book, Julie?
I sold it last year on EBAY Eddie. Now I'm thinking I should have kept hold of it and sold it now for a few hundred!! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

That's a shame, Julie. :cry: I hope you managed to get a good price for it.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I looked at my other Cherrys book last night and it's a first edition of The Cherrys' Famous Case. I struggled to remember that, though, just 12 hours later :?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Ah, yes, #11 'The Cherrys Famous Case'.

One of only 2 Cherrys books not set in either in Market Cray & its environs, or at St. Denis Bay.

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

Fiona1986 wrote:I looked at my other Cherrys book last night and it's a first edition of The Cherrys' Famous Case.
What did you think of it?

Here is a book that is going for a very fair starting price. It will be interesting to see how much the winning bid is. (I’m not bidding).

CherrysByTheSea
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

If it doesn't go too high I may bid, though I'm feeling a bit sore after losing out on The Magic Faraway Tree yesterday after some frenzied last minute bidding.

I really didn't look at Famous Case that closely, I just checked the title and edition and had a quick look a the map. I always like it when the are maps in books.

I need to read bth my Cherrys books soon though.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

A book about Will Scott, written by his granddaughters, was recently published.
LifeOfWillScott
It’s also on ebay and amazon.

I’d like to get hold of one of his detective novels, but they seem to be extinct.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

And I've got one only of Will Scott's detective novels, Lenoir. ('Appy birthday, by the way.)

Great that two of Will Scott's descendants have written his biography. If anyone here gets hold of a copy of this book, one hopes that any data relevant to Scott's Cherrys series are posted on this thread..... :D

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
jayann

Post by jayann »

May I point out that the book I wrote with my sister, Kay Steventon, is called Will Scott & Herne Bay and is available from Herne Bay Records Society, 45pp, abundantly illustrated, £7.99. This book concentrates on our grandfather's relationship with his adopted town. I have also just published The Life of Will Scott, Author of the Cherry Books, 156pp, illustrated, which is available from Amazon as a paperback for £3.99 and Amazon Kindle for £1.53; this book looks more broadly at WS's life and work. There were many things in Will Scott's life that influenced the Cherry series.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Great to see you posting here, 'jayann'.

May one hope that you, and perhaps also your sister, will be detailing a number of these influences here?

Since the Cherrys series is not going to die a natural death and fade away, there are a number of uncertainties to be resolved. For example, was St. Denis Bay Mr Scott's simplified and idealized version of Herne Bay only, or did he also include a few elements from other seaside resorts?

Cheeky old codger, 'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
jayann

Post by jayann »

I should say, first of all, that we were thrilled when we saw discussions such as this about the Cherry books. I think that because we grew up with them we took the books, to some extent, for granted - although we always enjoyed reading them and speculated which of us was the inspiration for Pam Cherry (who went in for a lot of bun-eating).
The map of 'St Denis Bay - The Children's Paradise' in The Cherrys by the Sea relates very closely to Herne Bay, even down to particular buildings. The name St Denis Bay is probably an amalgam of Minnis Bay and St Margaret's Bay - both in east Kent. Herne Bay and adjacent Hampton were a huge influence on WS. His study looked out over Hampton Bay and allowed a good view of the spectacular sunsets that are a feature of that part of the Kent coast. It was a wonderful room in which to think up happenings. That being said, Grampa Scott could have thought up a happening in a dark room situated next to a coal yard.
The question of how far St Denis Bay was an idealized version of Herne Bay is a very interesting one and I will have to think about that!