Dorothy Edwards Listen with mother

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Susie

Dorothy Edwards Listen with mother

Post by Susie »

I have just finished reading all the My naughty little sister books. I first saw them in the charity shop and when my mum saw the book she got all excited, saying that she must get this book, as it used to be on a radio programme called Listen with mother.
Shirley Hughes does the most clever illustrations, I am a great fan of her drawings.
Can you believe it's been fifty years since she wrote those books!
There is always something else new to learn.
Petermax

Re: Dorothy Edwards Listen with mother

Post by Petermax »

More dormant memories have been awakened by this post. I was an avid reader of the "My Naughty Little Sister books around 1975. I was puzzled by the narrative style initially as the child was never referred to by her name, only as "My Naughty Little Sister. This I suppose, gave the stories a more personal feel as if the events were being retold first hand. Each story was fairly short if I remember correctly and I can even recall one or two storylines.

A quick glance at Amazon reveals that the books are still in print, but up to now I have never heard them mentioned and presumed that they were long since forgotten.
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I loved the books when I was about six or so, and that was only a dozen years ago. I can remember that I used to borrow all the books out of the school library, along with all my Blytons. :D My younger brother also read one or two only a couple years ago, so they are certainly not forgotten about!
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lovely stories - I agree that Shirley Hughes' illustrations are just right, Susie. I used to love the one about the doll being thrown out of the window, the one about the trifle and the one about the girl with ringlets.

I borrowed the "My Naughty Little Sister" books from the library when I was little. Later on I picked up some copies from charity shops. Both my children have read them and, a few years ago, one of my daughter's friends borrowed them too, taking them home with her one at a time when she came to play.

Regarding the little sister not being named, my daughter wanted to think of a name for her and, if I remember correctly, she decided upon Maisie.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I borrowed the "My Naughty Little Sister" books from the library when I was little. Later on I picked up some copies from charity shops.
Anita
I went to the library yesterday and saw two new editions of the My naughty little sister books. It's a shame she only wrote 5 of them, but I read somewhere she wrote many more other books. I'll have to try and find them.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

For some reason I remember the Ringlets story quite well. Am I correct in recalling that the Naughty Little Sister had her own gate giving access to the garden of a kindly elderly couple next door? Strange how I can recall small details from a lifetime ago and yet I sometimes have a job to remember day to day items. Is it age or information overload? :?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Petermax:] Am I correct in recalling that the Naughty Little Sister had her own gate giving access to the garden of a kindly elderly couple next door?
Yes, I think the Naughty Little Sister called them Mr. and Mrs. Cocoa Jones.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am just old enough to remember hearing Listen With Mother on the wireless. However, it was Watch With Mother that captured my attention. I just loved that little house with the face on The Flowerpot Men, but my favourite was The Woodentops. And who can forget the marvel of Looby Loo coming to life when Andy Pandy and Teddy weren't around!

Watch With Mother is one video I still watch!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Watch with Mother, now what memories that brings back.

My favourite was also Wooden Tops, Nigel, but I just loved to watch them all. And yes, I too have that wonderful video. Childrens programmes in those days was so innocent and so simple and yet the kids loved them. It was so easy to spot the strings, but we didn't mind that. Kids programmes these days are so high tech, but then I guess they've just moved with the times, but I feel that sheer innocence has gone.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Moonraker wrote:I am just old enough to remember hearing Listen With Mother on the wireless. However, it was Watch With Mother that captured my attention. I just loved that little house with the face on The Flowerpot Men, but my favourite was The Woodentops. And who can forget the marvel of Looby Loo coming to life when Andy Pandy and Teddy weren't around!

Watch With Mother is one video I still watch!
Andy pandy, I got off DVD rental I loved it although I'm much to old for it. They made a new version, it's nothing like the old one, much to babyish.

My Mum remembered, Muffin the mule, which was very good too. Another I got off dvd rental. The story line is sweet. I liked the story Dick Muffington. Anyone out there remember Muffin the mule?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I can certainly remember Muffin the Mule! Regarding the updated Andy Pandy and others, it's just not the same if there are no strings attached!
Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

Moonraker wrote: it's just not the same if there are no strings attached!
You are so right. :D :lol:
My mother would like to know who was the narrator, was it Annette Mills?
These marionettes really have character, once they get on stage or was it a grand piano?

I had large soft animal that had strings attached to it. You could make it walk stealthily, and run, and wave. All by moving the "cross" in different angles. Remember the gadget shop? I got it from there.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Annette Mills it was. Oh, that diction!
Society Member