Other Authors I Enjoy

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Other Authors I Enjoy

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting to see the Angela Brazil covers. Is it known who illustrated them? Quite a few of them look to me as though they might possibly be by Mary Gernat.

I don't think we've got a thread dedicated to Angela Brazil, Fatty, but she has been mentioned here and there. A while ago I read A Fourth Form Friendship and couldn't help thinking that certain incidents in early St. Clare's and Malory Towers titles might have been inspired by that book.

Ive never read Peter Watson's Landscape of Lies but it does sound good.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Chrissie777 wrote:PS: Years ago I made a blown-up copy from the Landscape print and put it in a frame
Thats a great idea! (I've done that with the colour famous five print,the 'arent we lucky to own an island'one...)

Yes,Under the lake is a great book.Really creepy,but really enjoyed it.

I've read all Stuart Woods books and had some great emails from him.
He's a curmudgeonly old so and so but I rather like him all the more for being so,for some strange reason! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Fiona1986 wrote:I've never read anything by Angela Brazil. Those dust jackets have me interested, though. Not sure if The Nicest Girl in the School will be as good a read as The Naughiest Girl in the School!
As I said, the language is more dated, as is the slang, and the 'religion angle' is poured on rather more thickly than in Blyton. I believe some of the Brazil books are available online. Legally, since it's been over a century since many of them were first published. Do check Project Gutenberg if you're interested. I don't have an e-book reader, so I prefer to buy second-hand paperbacks. They aren't easy to come by, however. I can't order from eBay, so my options are limited.

Incidentally, it was news to me that the name is pronounced 'Brazzle' (and not like the South American country).
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Interesting to see the Angela Brazil covers. Is it known who illustrated them? Quite a few of them look to me as though they might possibly be by Mary Gernat ... A while ago I read A Fourth Form Friendship and couldn't help thinking that certain incidents in early St. Clare's and Malory Towers titles might have been inspired by that book.
The cover illustration for The School at the Turrets looks suspiciously like an incident from First Term at Malory Towers. Turrets, towers... hmm.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I love Angela Brazil's books. I bet Enid read them too "The Naughtiest Girl in the School" is the alter ego of Brazil's "The Nicest Girl in the School". I have about a dozen of her titles in hard copy as well as some more on my e-reader.

Kate

P.S. Nice DJs Tony, those are the editions I have got.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think a visit to my mum is called for. She has two of the Angela Brazil books which I read once or twice as a child, but can't remember much about them - time to re-discover them.

I think I also got her a paperback of one of the other books a few years ago, which I shall have to check out. I do see them complete with D/W in local bookshops, but they are usually about £8 or £10 each.

She also had 4 of the Susan books by Jane Shaw, I know I really liked those - has any one else read them?
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I could never take to Angela Brazil who was an authoress my mother recommended to me when I began on school stories. However, I do love Jane Shaw's Susan books. They are always good to read as a 'pick-me-up' as they do make me laugh! I have all but the three scarce titles, which I have read once as I borrowed them from a friend who had bought the GGB editions fairly recently.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lovely dust jackets, I just love old dust jackets, I too would buy a book for the jacket even if I didn't read it! :lol:

I have one of those books shown, The Nicest Girl in the School, but as yet I haven't read it!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

From what I remember Angela Brazil's books were a little too good to be true for me. Perhaps it was just a guilty conscience as I could never be as nice as the children in those books, or maybe I read them after I'd read Enid Blyton's books and they just didn't measure up. However I think I need to re-read them just to discover why they didn't have the same impact on me.

I shall have to investigate how many of Jane Shaw's books there are. I suspect that Mum has the 4 most readily available as I've seen them in book shops from time to time.

Julie, that's one of the books Mum has. I know what you mean about buying a book just because of the jacket. Sometimes I've even bought a book (as long as it's cheap) just because it looks old and forlorn - I feel I have to rescue it.

Certainly I have a number of books that I've read once and will definitely never read again, but can't bear to part with.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You mention Jane Shaw, Katharine. I have three of the Jane Shaw 'Susan' books! Which I have read and found them okay. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think I've read 'Susan Rushes In', 'Susan Interferes', and 'Susan Pulls the Strings', can't think what the other one is. I feel a spot of Googling is called for. :D
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

i like anne digby books---her school stories are good . also like pamela cox who write some of school stories by enid . her new ones are great but enid is the best . anyone know how i could contact her to see if she is going to write any more st clare and mallory tower books. i dont like claude violier `s sequeal to the famous five etc , he prtrays them as being spiteful and not at all like enid`s characters. 8)
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Sue, I believe that Claude Violier is a lady (I made the same mistake) - but I do agree with you. The character's don't 'live' in the same way that Enid's Famous Five do.
Society Member
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

No offence Blyton, but I do have a few other FAVOURITE other books:
1. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
2. The Harry Potter Series by J.K.Rowling
3. The Chain of Charms: The Gypsy Crown by Kate Forsyth
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

For me they were Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys.