Elinor M. Brent-Dyer - Chalet School, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Chalet School

Post by Daisy »

Well if you get hooked there are another 57 in the original series plus some fanfic fill-ins.
And yes, Sarah, the Armada editions were quite severely pruned in some cases. I have all the hardbacks and re- read the series about every 4 years. I did have some Armadas while I was collecting the hardbacks and was surprised when I eventually read the hardbacks at how much had been omitted at times.
We never did get any feed back from Abi.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

I love the Chalet School, especially the Tyrol books. I must admit to having written a ton of Chalet School fanfic, too. Is there much of a market for Blyton fanfic, and if so, where does it get posted? (Not that I'm a mad writerly type, of course). Has any CS fan discovered the CBB - a forum much like this, only for the Chalet School?
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

You can send your fanfic to Tony( for EBS), Julie ( Blyton.net) or Fiona( WorldofBlyton blog).

I notice that thisisschool is your blog. I used to read that blog. What is your opinion on school stories as a whole? Are they worth reading?
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

Well, you could say I'm a bit biased because I love school stories (yeah, I haven't updated the blog in a long time; must get back to it!). I'd say they're definitely worth reading - you get all sorts in them, not just the usual bullying/cheating/international jewel thieving. :wink: Some are better than others and actually I'd say Blyton's are some of the best. But there are others. Have you read many school stories?
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Having just bought 'The Chalet School in Exile', I will be looking for any more set in Guernsey.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Don't expect Guernsey at the start Francis. It begins in the Tyrol and is probably the most exciting story of the whole series. I hope you enjoy it although you may have some trouble sorting out the various relationships of the main characters. I'll supply a family tree if necessary!

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

sixret wrote:You can send your fanfic to ... Julie ( Blyton.net) ...
You can, but it won't appear on the website! Any continuation novels should be sent to Keith Robinson, our webmaster, for consideration. The email address is mystery@enidblyton.net .
Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I have some school story books but can't give how many offhand. Definitely more than 20. I enjoyed reading them and at one point, I was very tempted buying many of them but after reading one of your review stated that most of them are not so great, I hesitated to buy.
sixret

Post by sixret »

More and more U.S school stories are available in public domain.

U.S school stories are different from U.K because they focus more on the characters' lives outside the school and more romance than anything! Whereas, UK school stories focus on day-to-day life in school while the characters development is still strong. I prefer UK school stories for that matter.
Francis

Post by Francis »

Daisy wrote
Don't expect Guernsey at the start Francis. It begins in the Tyrol and is probably the most exciting story of the whole series. I hope you enjoy it although you may have some trouble sorting out the various relationships of the main characters. I'll supply a family tree if necessary!
Thank you Daisy - I'll look for the next in the series to complete the Guernsey connection. A family tree would be very nice.
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Right Francis. I did one for one of the early Chalet journals so I'll pm you when I've looked it out.

Society Member
Francis

Re: Elinor M. Brent-Dyer - Chalet School, etc.

Post by Francis »

Thanks a lot, Daisy - I really appreciate it.
Society Member
Francis

What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Francis »

Split from another thread.

just bought 'The Maids of La Rochelle' (very clean 1952 edition by Elinor Brent Dyer) from Alton attracted by the Guernsey location - although I know nothing about it. Wonder if it is part of a series of books?
Society Member
Daisy

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Daisy »

Yes, Francis. It introduces three sisters who settle on Guernsey and are eventually drawn into the Chalet School series through their daughters.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Courtenay »

Francis wrote:just bought 'The Maids of La Rochelle' (very clean 1952 edition by Elinor Brent Dyer) from Alton attracted by the Guernsey location - although I know nothing about it. Wonder if it is part of a series of books?
I'm not familiar with any of her books, Francis (though my mum used to read the Chalet School series), but I did a quick search online. You can see a list of the La Rochelle series here on the official Friends of the Chalet School website: http://www.chaletschool.org.uk/ebd-book ... brent-dyer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I assume "all CS connectors" means that the La Rochelle books all have some connection with the Chalet School books - possibly shared characters, locations, etc.)

PS. There we are, Daisy's answered that last paragraph of mine while I was typing! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)