Beverley Nichols

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
tam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Beverley Nichols

Post by tam »

I am hoping to take a trip to England in the next year. A friend of mine thought I would enjoy reading Beverley Nichols. I just started reading Merry Hall, and it is really quite funny. I read in the introduction that this author has a mixed following in England. Are there any fans/critics out there?
I would appreciate any opinions.
Teresa
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Beverley Nichols

Post by Kate Mary »

Beverley Nichols is a wonderful writer, but very underrated and little read in the UK nowadays. I love his books, they are witty and very readable. “Merry Hall” is the first book in a trilogy, “Laughter on the Stairs” and “Sunlight on the Lawn” are the sequels.

Nichols was very prolific, as well as the gardening books for which he is famous he wrote novels and detective stories, plays, autobiographies, books about cats and children’s books which was my first introduction to his books.
If you enjoy the Merry Hall books, try the Allways trilogy “Down the Garden Path”, “A Thatched Roof” and “Village in the Valley”. The books were brilliantly illustrated by William McLaren, who did the pictures for Enid Blyton’s “Let’s Garden”. I did start a thread about that book but it sparked little interest, few people have read it I suppose.

If you are just starting on Beverley Nichols books you have some treats in store! Enjoy.

Kate.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I read and enjoyed The Tree that Sat Down a few years ago, on the recommendation of my daughter, but I didn't get round to reading the other two titles in that series.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
tam

Post by tam »

Thank you for the recommendations and thoughts. I am enjoying his humor, and the dust jacket and inside illustrations are beautiful. I will continue to read this trilogy, and also try the ones you recommend. I have to borrow from my friend, as they are not easy to find.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Hi Teresa, you might like to know that Beverley Nichols books are being reprinted by an American publisher in hardback with the original illustrations. Try this website:

http://www.timberpress.com/beverleynichols

nice website too!

Kate.
tam

Post by tam »

Thanks, Kate Mary! I am going to have fun looking through this website!