The Diary of Anne Frank

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: The Diary of Anne Frank

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Silky - you are a Christian - have you forgotten that Jesus was a Jew? :shock:

You have no idea what religion (if any) I am, or what views anyone else here holds (though I'd guess that Mohamed is Muslim!). I am sure that there are Christians, Muslims, Hindu, Jews, agnostics and athiests all reading this, and they are all willing to be your friends through our shared love of Enid Blyton books. :D

There are good and bad people amongst all groups, including many of us who strive to be good but sometimes get it wrong. :?

Happily most people are nice most of the time - including you :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Some fringe Christian groups are incredibly anti-semitic - think of Fred Phelps and his mangy assortment of followers in the US. None of them seem to recall that Jesus was Jewish and that he was, moreover, the Messiah as prophesied in the Old Testament.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Silky-Elf
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Silky and Moonface
Location: Tunisia (but I have now moved to The Enchanted Wood!)

Post by Silky-Elf »

oh! thanks viv :D yes jesus indeed was a jew. i am myself a christian (maronite). perhaps my parents really are very outdated to say such a thing like that.

i beleive we are all human beings and must be treated the same. ah!!! these forums have tought me sooooo much. i am a better (much politer!) citizen now!

there are a few jews in my country (tunisia) along with moslims and christians and honestly they are not treatly very nicely.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Well, it would be a great thing if you were to break with tradition and start treating them well *grins*. You are quite right to say that everyone is human. One good rule of thumb is to never think of another group - whether ethnic, religious or political - as being less human or inferior to yourself.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Alicia
Favourite book/series: malory towers
Favourite character: why,alicia of course!

Post by Alicia »

i love anne frank it is so sad what happened to her i would like to be a historian when ia am older i have also visited the anne frank house
Last edited by Alicia on 07 Oct 2007, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Silky-Elf

Post by Silky-Elf »

alicia wrote: i would like to be a historian when ia am older
gosh! me too!!!
with my l0ve,
dina blyton
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Silky-Elf wrote:i dont want to read the diary because my parents say that jews are not good.
Dina, you say that the forums have taught you a lot, but today I have learnt from you.
You have taught me that we must never allow ourselves to be so complacent that we consider the terrble events so tragically depicted in Anne Franks Diary could not happen again.
Silky-Elf

Post by Silky-Elf »

sorry Fanny :oops: i know i was very childish in my post. i agree that those terrible things should nOT happen again.
with my l0ve,
dina blyton
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

I do not think your comment was at all childish, Dina. It is the fact that so many adults apparently hold these views that I found chilling.
Certainly you sound very advanced for your age. :)
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Post by RainbowJude »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:In 1990 I visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam and it was a very moving experience. There were still magazine pictures stuck on the walls of Anne's bedroom, which she had cut out and put there herself. It was also possible to see the chestnut tree which Anne loved so much, though I heard recently that the tree is now diseased and will have to be cut down.
Almas wrote:I would love to visit her house. Could you tell me more?
There is a great official site for Anne Frank House. I visited the house in 1995 when I toured Europe with my high school. It was a haunting experience. During that tour, we also visited Dachau, one of the concentration camps, and it was horrifying to see such a tangible reminder of things about which I had only read. I think it is so important that these sites are still there. They are reminders of what prejudice can achieve when it is left to grow unchecked.

I first read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl when I was in Standard One, when I was 9. I was an avid reader by this point and arrived home from the library with it one day. My mom had some concerns about me reading the book at that age because she understood the context of what had happened to the Frank family and therefore knew what I would have to understand by the time I had finished the book. After all, this was the time when most of my school friends were reading things like The Magic Faraway Tree.

My mom called my teacher at school, who advised my mother to let me read the book and to let me know that if I had any questions, I would be free to ask them. And so I read it. I don't remember what my emotional reaction as a 9-year old was, but I have read the book many times since. I subsequently also saw the 1959 film and also read the play based on the book; it was a prescribed text for study in my Standard Six year. The play was performed in my home town in 1997 and I auditioned unsuccessfully for the part of Peter. I still went along to see it and it was, in my memory, a fine production. I've often wondered what the musical Yours, Anne is like. Is anyone here familiar with it?

All of these different versions of the story - and especially the primary source, Anne's diary - are a testament to the human consequences of World War II; they take the facts out of the history books and bring to life what those facts meant to the people living at that time in a visceral way. At the very least, I feel that Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl is essential reading.

Later days
David
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Almas,

There's another good book on Anne Frank by Dutch author Miep Gies, the woman who helped survive the Frank family and the other 4 people in hiding.
I have the book in German and as it's Dutch, I cannot really tell you the British title, but you might have heard about it.
Enjoyed reading it, I was very touched.
Yes, Anne Frank's diary is wonderful, one of the most important books in my life (if not THE most important).
Have you ever been to the Anne Frank house in Prinsengracht 263 in Amsterdam?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Gibbs

Post by Gibbs »

The Diary of Anne Frank is one of my favs. I know, there are hundreds of such stories out there, but this one is truly touching and sad. Jews annihilation during the World War II is the ugliest spot on human history, and this story told by a young girl really makes me think of how fragile human life is in the face of regime
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

I first read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl when I was about 15, and it was very poignant experience, as many others here have noted. But I was somehow 'prepared' for it, because a year or two earlier I had read, in the Reader's Digest, an abridged version of The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. This dealt with the same premise, but from the point of view of a Christian family that went out of their way to help the jews. Despite the Christian religious fervour I found it an inspiring read for people of any faith -- or no faith for that matter.
Roc
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick Kirrin

Post by Roc »

I read Anne Frank when I was 10. First i watched the BBC TV Series and by the end I was breaking my heart. It's very sad but it's important that we understand the cruleness of World War II so that nothing like this ever happens again.

R.I.P. Anne Frank
Call me Roc or Lew.

"Pass me the tomatoes, Julian. Before you eat the whole lot!"
Dick, Five on a Secret Trail
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

What is so sad about Anne is that she was persecuted not because of the kind of
person she was but because of her racial and religeous background. Try and treat
people as you find them. Enid's books appeal to all groups because of the decent values
they represent.
Society Member