Frances Hodgson Bennett

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Susie

Frances Hodgson Bennett

Post by Susie »

I love her books, they are amazingly written till the last page. The author is brilliant.
I just finished The secret garden, and The little princess. Which had me in tears throughout out the book.
The movie was good too.
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Frances Hodgson Bennett

Post by Almas »

Hi Suzie! Even I think that Frances Hodgson Burnett was certainly an amazing author. I don't read her books regularly but I cerainly enjoy them.

I think The Secret Garden is one of the most inspirational books I've ever read. It's a really touching story.

I own the 1998 paperback version of the book (HarperClassics). Although, I think its a bit long for a children's book (380 something pages) but I managed to read it in less than three days.

If you have enjoyed Bennett, I'm sure you'll enjoy reading Heidi, by Johanna Spyri, Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery and the Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

I'm love with the above books.The Anne series are one of my favorite books of all time . I've read them almost the hundreth time!

Almas :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Most definitely Almas,
I love Heidi and I am getting the dvd of it, I can't wait! You can see a bit of Heidi on http://www.yahooligans.com
I love the Anne books too, Anne with an "E".
Why don't you start a thread on Heidi and the Anne books? Then we can all add our tidbits. :D

Susie. 8)
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

The Secret Garden is one of my favourite stories from childhood. :D
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden are two of my favourite stories too. In fact, I've just bought a nice copy of The Secret Garden to read to the baby when he's born. I know he'll be a bit young, but I thought he might like to hear it anyway and it's a good excuse for buying lots of books :D
Almas

Post by Almas »

Mollybob wrote:A Little Princess and The Secret Garden are two of my favourite stories too. In fact, I've just bought a nice copy of The Secret Garden to read to the baby when he's born. I know he'll be a bit young, but I thought he might like to hear it anyway and it's a good excuse for buying lots of books :D
I agree Mollybob! The baby might be a huge booklover when he grows up :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Mollybob wrote:A Little Princess and The Secret Garden are two of my favourite stories too. In fact, I've just bought a nice copy of The Secret Garden to read to the baby when he's born. I know he'll be a bit young, but I thought he might like to hear it anyway and it's a good excuse for buying lots of books :D
Just beware he might start talking all Yorkshire. :lol:
Almas

Post by Almas »

Susie wrote: Why don't you start a thread on Heidi and the Anne books? Then we can all add our tidbits. :D
Oooh! I'm very scared of starting my own threads, Suzie! What is it gets no response?!

:oops:

Susie

Post by Susie »

Almas wrote:
Susie wrote: Why don't you start a thread on Heidi and the Anne books? Then we can all add our tidbits. :D
Oooh! I'm very scared of starting my own threads, Suzie! What is it gets no response?!

:oops:
Some of my topics have no one responding to them, and some do, it doesn't really matter maybe someone who joins later on will want to respond. [here's hoping]
I will respond if you create the threads. Who can not respond to the glorious classics?
The only way to know whether you will get a response it to start one! :D 8) :idea: :arrow: