E.B. White?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

E.B. White?

Post by Almas »

He's one my favorite authors and I'm simply in love with his books, especially Charlotte's Web and Stuart Litte. Both the books have been adopted into successful motion pictures. I read his books at least twice a year. He writes marvellously.

Here check the Wikipedia article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.B._White

Any fellow fans here??

:D Almas
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: E.B. White?

Post by RDMorrell »

I also like E.B. White's books, although I haven't read them for a while. But one of my calendars this year is the Charlotte's Web movie calendar! :mrgreen: I have Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan. I got all three books when I lived in the United States from October 1982 to November 1984. They all seem to feature animals with at least some human qualities (most notably, the ability to communicate with humans both orally and in writing). Charlotte's Web is probably the best known book, and it is still in print. It's probably my favourite. I learned the word "Salutations" from it! :lol: It was quite sad at the end though. I also enjoyed The Trumpet of the Swan, about a mute swan called Louis who plays the trumpet (like Louis Armstrong) and communicates by writing on a slate. Stuart Little is the book I remember the least about, but I did enjoy it when I read it, I'm sure of that! Funnily enough, The Trumpet of the Swan seems to have been the least successful of the books. Unlike CW and SL, it hasn't been made into a movie (at least, not as far as I know) and seems to be less readily available than the other two books.

So that's what I know about E.B. White. His books are definitely worth reading, and mostly quite easy to obtain. So I'm a fan, for sure! :D
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Yeah, I agree with you Rowan.

I read Charelotte's Web in grade 5, when our class were reading it as a novel. At the end, when Charlotte dies, I was in tears. White certainly had an ability to capture your imagination.

Anywways, I didn't like the recent adaption of the book. The film lacked presence and I think the dialogues were not very good although the voices behind the characters were brilliant and Charlotte was a marvelous creation.

I think the movie lacks presence, but still I love film... :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I love Stuart Little! I might have read other books by E.B.White, but I can't remember them.

I thought the movie adaptations of Stuart Little were fantastic! Exactly like how I imagine the characters to be like. And I love the use of colour in them! :D
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man