Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for bringing the discussion back to the "Just William" story, John. There's no reason why this shouldn't continue to be an interesting and worthwhile thread if we stick to talking about the books and avoid personal jibes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion back to the "Just William" story, John. There's no reason why this shouldn't continue to be an interesting and worthwhile thread...
I must say that my appetite is well and truly whetted! Having read different views on the story from various correspondents here, I look forward to airing my views on this story if and when I obtain a copy. Thank you Deborah for bringing this story to our attention.
Last edited by Moonraker on 12 May 2011, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks for bringing the discussion back to the "Just William" story, John. There's no reason why this shouldn't continue to be an interesting and worthwhile thread...
Having read different views on the story from various correspondents here, I look forward to airing my views on this story if and when I obtain a copy.

I agree with you Nigel...I havent read any Just Williams for years-but I feel I just have to read this story myself now to see what I make of it ....

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I too would love to get hold of a copy of this book, and also read the other books as I don't think I've read any. I've a feeling that any copies of William and The Nasties are going to rise rapidly in price with so many of us after them :wink: :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

In a recent letter from The Just William Society about their annual meeting, the writer ends his message with the following:

I'll leave you with this: a question on some inane TV quiz last week - "Who was the leader of the Outlaws in the books by Richmal Crompton?" The answer came from some moron: "Enid Blyton!!!"

I found this amusing and thought that some of the EBS forumites might too. :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hilarious Eddie. The things some people think. :D :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My mother is a big fan of the Just William books and has quite a few, although they are modern copies. I've just been Googling to see just how many there are left for her to collect, and I remembered the discussion from some time ago about 'William and The Nasties'. I'm not expecting it to still be in print, but was surprised that it wasn't on the list of books on Wikipedia. I tried looking up the Just William web-site, but when I followed the link on that to publications I got a site about expensive cars, so didn't try to explore any further.

Does anyone know anything more about this book, such as is it now called something different? I can understand a book having it's name changed such as Agatha Christie's "Ten Little N....." , but I would have thought there would still be a reference to it somewhere, even if it's no longer in print under such a title. Similarly I'd have thought the Just William book would still be listed as having been printed once, even if it's now obsolete.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

'William and the Nasties' is the title of a story, not one of the 38 books. It was published in William the Detective in 1935, but I can't tell you if it is any of the more recent editions.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the info Tony, I thought it strange an entire book wasn't listed. I suspect the story has been removed from modern reprints.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Way back in 1999, that bastion of the left wing and political correctness, The Guardian, had this to say about William.

Edit: Of interest is this clip from Wikipedia:

William - The Detective is a book in the Just William series by Richmal Crompton published in 1935. The book contains ten short stories, though it originally contained eleven: The eleventh, entitled William and the Nasties was removed from the book later on because, though ultimately anti-Nazi, it was considered inappropriate after the Holocaust (it has been retained, however, in the Israeli edition). William and the League of Perfect Love has also been removed from some editions under pressure from the animal-rights activists it satirizes
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

An interesting article. I can understand the concerns about certain aspects of the books, but I'm wondering just how much of TV today is suitable for children if subjected to the same criticism. Apparently at least two children in my daughter's class regularly watch Eastenders - they are 7 years old. Personally I can't stand the programme, but if adults wish to watch that's up to them, but I've never understood why it's on before the watershed.

As I metioned elsewhere, I don't think some of the subject matter covered in Jacqueline Wilson books is suitable for the age group it's aimed at. I suppose the only comfort from the article is that it's not just Enid Blyton books that have come under criticism and been edited.

I really must borrow some of the books just to see what they are like. My mother is a very gentle person who abhors violence, cruelty etc., so I can't imagine they can be that bad or she wouldn't read them.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe it's the right wing, middle class backgrounds that is really the problem - something of which Eastenders cannot be accused....
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

As the BBC Suvey says that I'm Traditional Working Class does that mean I should force myself to watch Eastenders? :cry:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I am TWC as well, and have no intention of watching it! However, my wife is also TWC (how sweet is that?) watches it avidly. :shock:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Nigel, I'm so pleased to hear that you married into the correct class, no good ever came of marrying above or beneath your station. :wink:

As for your wife being a fan of Eastenders, I have to confess that there was a time when I wouldn't miss an episode of Neighbours, so I shouldn't really judge others. :oops:
Society Member