Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Post by RDMorrell »

Does anyone here enjoy the Just William books by Richmal Crompton?

I've been a long-time fan of them. As with The Famous Five, I actually discovered the William books through the TV series first - to wit, the one done by London Weekend Television (I think there has also been a more recent series). But I love the books, not just for the stories, but for the language Crompton uses. For children's books, the language in the William books is really quite sophisticated. Perhaps a reason for this is that the earliest stories were actually aimed at an adult audience. But even the later ones written more specifically for children have quite delightful prose. In between laughing at the antics of William and his friends, I used to revel in Crompton's beautiful writing style, even if I had to look up the odd word in the dictionary (which wasn't usually a problem when reading a Blyton tome)!

I have the complete set of William books, albeit MacMillan paperbacks. But even some of the paperbacks can be quite expensive to obtain, especially the last book in the series, William the Lawless. Some of them were bought new in the 1980s and 1990s, while I have obtained others on eBay or the New Zealand online auction site, Trade Me. I also have one or two other related works, including the biography of Richmal Crompton by Mary Cadogan and David Schutte's rather splendid William - the Immortal, which I bought from the author himself on eBay and which he kindly signed for me.

In addition to the MacMillan paperbacks, I have one older hardback edition (without dust jacket, unfortunately) of William - The Detective. This is because the MacMillan version omits two of the stories that can be found in the older editions. Although I completely understand the reasons for this ("William and the Nasties" in particular contains some truly cringeworthy moments), it still annoys me because I like to have complete texts and stories, politically incorrect warts and all. So the MacMillan version made me feel a bit short-changed, even though I do understand the reasons for those stories being left out (Richmal Crompton herself was embarrassed by "William and the Nasties" in later years). Besides, reading these "banned" stories gives you a sense of doing something slightly naughty, and a little rebellious in the Outlaws spirit. :mrgreen:

Enid Blyton knew Richmal Crompton, it seems - there is a photo in Barbara Stoney's splendid biography of Blyton that depicts Blyton and Crompton in a theatre box (along with the publisher Malcolm Saville, I think) watching a pantomime that Blyton had written.

So anyway, are there any other William fans here? Please share your own William experiences!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Re: Just William Books by Richmal Crompton

Post by Mollybob »

Hello again :-)

I'm another William fan. I think I've read most of the William books and used to borrow them regularly from our local library.

My current book collection is sadly rather lacking in William books. I think I have about four early editions in dust jackets, including one first edition. I had planned to buy a complete set of first editions. However, this was before I realised how much they tend to sell for. I'm constantly looking out for them on ebay, but think I will have to resign myself to some slightly later copies.

I have a notoriously bad memory, but I do remember really enjoying the story about William embracing Communism. I seem to remember that he takes something from his brother Robert and says that he thought we were supposed to share things in a Communist society.

I must re-read my William books. As you say, they are extremely funny and very well written.

Sonia
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I'm very fond of William, though, due to pressure of time I haven't been able to reread him recently (in particular I really want to remember which story has a strange episode regarding an old lady and a copper rose, in which Ginger is heavily involved - I just can't remember the title, or what book it was in, and it's driving me mad!) I'm not so keep on the latter stories if I'm being honest - they don't ring as true for me as the early stuff. There's a story called "The Outlaws and Cousin Percy" or something like that, which was always my favourite one - it made me cry with laughter every time!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have'nt read William in years and currently have none of the books, I must get some, they made me laugh like anything when i read them in my teenage years. I particularly remember a story set during the war in which William decides to emulate Hitler for some reason but mistakes the German word for Mr (Herr) for the English word Her. So he calls himself Him Hitler. Very funny indeed.

Apart from that the books kept me entertained for hours with their endless comedic events. I think my collection (tatty old paperbacks all) was thrown out by my mother later on. :evil:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

Lucky Star wrote:I particularly remember a story set during the war in which William decides to emulate Hitler for some reason but mistakes the German word for Mr (Herr) for the English word Her. So he calls himself Him Hitler. Very funny indeed.
Yes, that's "William and the Nasties", which is one of the two stories omitted from modern editions of William - The Detective. And it's actually set before the war. Even some of the older hardbacks (published in the 1960s) leave it out, so you'd need a fairly old edition of the book to have the truly complete one with that story still in.

The Herr/Him Hitler confusion is definitely one of the funniest parts of the story, and it has a number of other good bits too. But among its more cringeworthy moments is when the Outlaws make a yellow star to resemble the ones that the Nazis used to persecute Jews in the 1930s (because they want to harass a Jewish sweet shop owner who isn't so nice to them), and I think they also made a swastika. However, their bumbling attempts at this add humour to the story. Of course, when you read it in a modern context, it's highly un-PC and potentially very offensive. But I still find it a most interesting reflection of the times. I think it perhaps shows how people didn't really grasp how serious things were in Germany, or perhaps didn't care. But the story does kind of condemn Nazi behaviour, albeit in a rather roundabout way. It's not condoned, ultimately, but there are elements of the story that are rather perturbing, and Richmal Crompton herself felt embarrassed by it in later years.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Kitty wrote:(in particular I really want to remember which story has a strange episode regarding an old lady and a copper rose, in which Ginger is heavily involved - I just can't remember the title, or what book it was in, and it's driving me mad!)
Sounds like "The Outlaws and the Penknife" (from William The Rebel) to me.

Another huge William fan here. I rank Richmal Crompton among my very favourite writers (along with Agatha Christie and J. K. Rowling). Her William stories make me laugh so hard. There is nothing better than dipping into a William book or popping on a Martin Jarvis Just William audio book when you're feeling in need of a laugh. I, too, appreciate her delightfully wry prose style, her challenging use of vocabulary, and her witty observations: her portrayal of aunts, vicars, artists, school teachers, etc. So funny.

I think I discovered William at about thirteen years of age, when I saw one of the books on a library shelf. Being faintly familiar with "Just William" -- whether through the TV series or through some sort of process of cultural osmosis, I don't know -- I thought I would give the books a go, and I loved them straight away. Of course, some stories are better than others, and undoubtedly the earlier books are superior to the later ones. But I love them all. I just wish I owned them all.

This might be a bit controversial, but I have never been a big fan of Violet Elizabeth Bott. I enjoy her sometimes, but she gets rather tiresome after a while.

If you're interested, click here for an MP3 of Richmal Crompton being interviewed.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Matthew Roberts wrote:
Kitty wrote:(in particular I really want to remember which story has a strange episode regarding an old lady and a copper rose, in which Ginger is heavily involved - I just can't remember the title, or what book it was in, and it's driving me mad!)
Sounds like "The Outlaws and the Penknife" (from William The Rebel) to me.
Oh how fab - thank you! Don't think I've got it here, but can read it when I get back to my books - thanks again!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Very interesting. Thanks for all that info. My memory must be failing me as, although I remember the Herr/Him Hitler episode very well years after last having read it, I dont recall the other incidents at all. I can see how Crompton would have been embarassed about the story when the truth about the concentration camps came out after the war. I still dont think there is any point in sweeping the story under the carpet though. It is an illustration of how people in the UK were thinking and what they were enjoying in the 1930's even if subsequent events were to blow that world apart (quite literally as it happened). It could even serve as a warning to us not to be too complacent again.

Anyway my interest is piqued. :D You say the story is only featured in older copies of the book? I'm sure I read the story in a 1960's/'70's era paperback. There is only one solution, I'll have to start trawling e-bay for William books. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
RDMorrell

Post by RDMorrell »

Lucky Star wrote:Anyway my interest is piqued. :D You say the story is only featured in older copies of the book? I'm sure I read the story in a 1960's/'70's era paperback. There is only one solution, I'll have to start trawling e-bay for William books. :wink:
Actually, you might have done. I have a feeling it could be in the Armada version, which includes one of the "banned stories", but omits a couple of the others! (All the Armada editions of the William books omit some stories.)

My thanks also to Matthew for the Richmal Crompton audio clip. I've never heard her speak before, so that was fantastic! :mrgreen:
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I guess I might be the only person here who belongs to The Just William Society. I joined when it was first formed and contributed a puzzle page to a few of the early issues of their magazine. As a collector of a wide range of children's books, needless to say I have a complete set of William books, all the pre-war ones with the fabulous pictorial spines and first editions of all the post-war ones. The two really hard books to get hold of are William the Lawless and William and the Witch - I was very fortunate to find both in the back room of a shop selling records, so they weren't at all expensive! I am glad I got them all when I did as buying William books now is just as expensive as buying Blyton books!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Another William fan here too....

Rosie gave me a box of 10 for Christmas, which I have been savouring, precious chapter by chapter when I've been feeling fed-up.

One of the most enjoyable for me was the tale of the Outlaws making ginger beer, and delivering it to an old lady who tells them to leave it in her greenhouse. Crompton wonderfully understates the moment when bottles explode as the gang leave the garden. :D

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

RDMorrell wrote:Yes, that's "William and the Nasties", which is one of the two stories omitted from modern editions of William - The Detective. And it's actually set before the war. Even some of the older hardbacks (published in the 1960s) leave it out, so you'd need a fairly old edition of the book to have the truly complete one with that story still in.
Yes, it was first published in 1935 (according to my 1949 copy).
I have quite a lot of these books and always enjoyed them. I agree some are better than others, and her style varies a bit as well. I suppose that is because they were written over a fairly long period of time. One of my favourite characters is the long-suffering Robert!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I first read Just William when I was nine having been given some pre-war hardback copies by a relative. How I loved those dusty volumes to the extent that I refused to even pick up the the later paperback editions. As with Enid Blyton and Anthony Buckeridge I wanted to read the stories as the author intended in their proper time period. Children can easily adjust to any time setting in a story, nowadays there is far too much concern that old expressions and talk of pre decimal currency would confuse them.

Williams long suffering family and various domestic servants added greatly to the stories. In particular his much older siblings Robert and Ethel with their constant disdain for him provide a huge amount of comedy.

One of my favourite William stories is "The Perfect Boy" The Outlaws embark upon a mission to discredit a boy who is perfect in every way, they manage to do this eventually by getting him to swear in front of an assembled throng of village worthies!

I remember a TV adaptation of Just William back in 1977. It unfortunately featured an over acting Bonnie Langford as Violet Elizabeth Bott.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

petermax wrote: I remember a TV adaptation of Just William back in 1977. It unfortunately featured an over acting Bonnie Langford as Violet Elizabeth Bott.
Aaaarrrggghhh! I can't stand Bonnie Tyler, (nothing personal though!) she screamed her way through Doctor Who as well.

This topic has really whetted my appetite though, to revisit this series of books. I haven't read them since a child, and had more or less forgotten about them.

Trust Tony to have the complete original series! I must check out eBay when I've got some spare cash. I don't want any updated copies!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember the 1970s TV series too. Bonnie Langford as Violet Elizabeth (not Bonnie Tyler, Nigel! :lol: ) made me "thcweam and thcweam and thcweam until I wath thick." I only discovered the books as an adult - I bought a box set of ten Macmillan paperbacks with red covers (perhaps the same set Viv has got?), reprinted in 2000. No idea whether the stories have been updated in any way, but I've enjoyed the ones I've read. I've also read the full-length novel Just William's Luck (Macmillan 1989 paperback version, white cover.) Pity Richmal Crompton only wrote one full-length "William" novel.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member