A question for the big boys ...

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: A question for the big boys ...

Post by Viking Star »

Well that's blown a myth out of the water - I'd always assumed heather would be very comfortable. Any difference berween heather and bracken in terms of comfort (is bracken dried heather)? Suddenly those nights on the Secret Island or Kirrin Island don't sound quite so attractive! :(

Anyhow back on topic. I read the Naughtiest Girl series as a child. My sister had the first book and I read that. Once I had read the first book I just had to read the rest of the series (using the first book as justification if needed).

But I never really had any excuse to buy the other girls series books, and basically just didn't dare. I hadn't read any other girls' boarding school books until I read First form at Malory Towers a few months ago.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viking Star wrote:Well that's blown a myth out of the water - I'd always assumed heather would be very comfortable.
Me too, Viking Star!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Viking Star wrote:Any difference berween heather and bracken in terms of comfort (is bracken dried heather)?
Now there speaks a city boy!! There is a huge difference berween heather and bracken. Although heather has feathery leaves and flowers it grows on a woody, almost bush-like plant. Bracken is effectively ferns and providing it was freshly picked would be far more comfortable to lie on.

Getting back to the original question, I have also read all three series, though I have to say I don't continually re-read them. I think I like the unorthodox Whyteleafe rather more than St. Clare's or Malory Towers.

Going back off topic again, Malory (Mallory) and Kirrin (Kirren) are the two Blyton names that most often get the wrong spelling - I think Malory is probably the winner.
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Bedded down with Heather or on Heather??? :roll: :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Didn't you ever read any of Enid Blyton's nature books, Viking Star? :wink:

Here's some heather for you:

http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/natur ... asp?pic=73" target="_blank

And here's some bracken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken" target="_blank

My sister and I used to play hide and seek in big stretches of bracken when we went on picnics as youngsters.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Didn't you ever read any of Enid Blyton's nature books, Viking Star? :wink:

Here's some heather for you:

http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/natur ... asp?pic=73" target="_blank

And here's some bracken:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken" target="_blank

My sister and I used to play hide and seek in big stretches of bracken when we went on picnics as youngsters.

Anita
Thanks Tony
Thanks Anita. A very practical response. :lol:

I suppose I only got to see heather or bracken every couple of years. Not sure when I last saw any. When we had our picnic? I remember all the stinging nettles, otherwise I'm afraid everything just looks green to me.

If something doesn't interest me (music, people, school lessons :wink: ) I'm afraid it's just like wallpaper and I don't notice (I wish I'd realised that when I was at school). On the other hand if something is of interest to me I remember the smallest detail for years.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

A big heather plant in situ is indeed very springy. However, the stems are woody and very tough, and therefore very difficult to break. It would take ages to gather armfuls without the aid of a very sharp knife. Once cut, all the springiness would be gone! :(

Bracken may be softer, but can be infested with ticks, leading to Lymes disease. (Do go to the Dr if you feel that you have flu even a month after getting a tick bite!) :(

I suggest a Karrimat! :D

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I might never have discovered these books, but my sister had a well stocked bookcase, and I used to browse it. Most of the books were put back after one page had been read, but St Clares (2 books), Naughtiest girl (1) and Malory Towers (2) passed the test! I then looked out for more of the books myself. I don’t read any other books for girls - it must be Enid Blyton’s style that I liked. The stories are written in such a way that they don’t just appeal to girls.
Viking Star

Post by Viking Star »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: Bracken may be softer, but can be infested with ticks, leading to Lymes disease. (Do go to the Dr if you feel that you have flu even a month after getting a tick bite!) :(

I suggest a Karrimat! :D

Viv
Thanks Viv. No wonder I live in the city! :shock: