Nancy Drew

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Nancy Drew

Post by Jen-Jen »

Has anyone seen the new Nancy Drew movie yet?

I thought it was fantastic and felt quite close to the original classic Nancy Drew series from the 30's - 70's. If any of you are Nancy fans I recommend you give this movie a shot - it's chock full of mystery, it's funny and Nancy is delightful! And for once Hollywood finally made a film that showed clean, decent behaivour. No swearing, or wind jokes or gross things - it's really the sort of clean behaviour that I love in all Enid's books - and shows our heroes with nice manners.

And Nancy's little outfits are so cute - I wish they made clothes like that now! I could picture Anne from The Famous Five in them.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Stephen

Re: Nancy Drew

Post by Stephen »

Wow - Nancy Drew! Along with Malory Towers, St Clare's and the Bunty/Mandy/ Tammy et cetera annuals, an excuse to sneak into my sister's room and read some great literature!

I certainly haven't read all the books but I do remember some things about them. For instance, wasn't there a tomboy called George? A friend called Bess and a boyfriend called Ned. Her father was Carson - a rich lawyer and she had a housekeeper called Hannah. Hey, it's all coming back!

For books aimed at children, I do remember some rather gritty, non-Blytonesque stuff. For instance, Nancy and an old woman were trapped in a derelict mansion which slid into the sea. They were both rescued, but the old woman "slipped into a coma from which she never recovered". And in another she gets tied up in a heavy tarpaulin, thrown into the sea and sinks, basically contemplating the fact that she's about to die and she'll never see her loved ones again. Fair enough, the Famous Five and Adventure children may have been in life-threatening situations - but the enormity of actually dying is fortunately ignored.

I had heard talk of there being a Nancy Drew film and naturally assumed it'd be the usual Hollywood updated rubbish with swearing galore. But no, if you say it's good I'll have to check it out!
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

I didn't even realise there was a new Nancy Drew film. I'll have to go and see it :)
I haven't read any of her books for years, but used to love borrowing them from the library when I was young.
Jen-Jen

Post by Jen-Jen »

Your memory is spot on Stephen! It's amazing what we remember!

I used to go to the libray to borrow Nancy Drew too, Mollybob! I finished all the Nancy's at the library a few years ago - our library never really had that many - I think about 50 in all.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

There's a book about the movie too, written by Daniela Burr. It's entitled Nancy Drew - A Novelization of the Hit Movie!. I found this title rather amusing, as the book was published at least a month before the movie came out! But I enjoyed the book, so I'm sure I'd like the movie too.

I have quite a number of the Nancy Drew books, although I'm more a fan of the Hardy Boys. (Nancy Drew is the "sister" series to the Hardy Boys.) But I currently have 115 ND books. There are titles from the original series, Nancy Drew Files (aimed at slightly older readers), graphic novels (published by Papercutz), Nancy Drew, Girl Detective (the new series that replaced the original one), Nancy Drew on Campus and Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Super Mysteries. I have both US and British editions of the books. I like the action and also the intellectual aspects. Not so keen on the more "girly" stuff like discussions about clothes, but that's not too prevalent, thankfully. :mrgreen: All in all, the ND series, while not my all-time favourite, is definitely one I enjoy reading and collecting!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Jen-Jen, is there any sex in it?

I ask because I'd really love to go and see it and it's on locally now - but it's school holidays and I have my six-year-old son to look after. I don't know if it's really his thing :lol: but if there's no swearing and violence, that's a start as far as I'm concerned. If it's a good, clean movie I'll feel comfortable with him watching it and he might enjoy it ...

ETA: Also, are there any sad scenes in it? I very mistakenly took him to see Bridge to Terabithia a couple of weeks back and very much wished there'd been a warning that you need to take your tissues along, as he was pretty devastated by one part of it!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Lizarfau:] Jen-Jen, is there any sex in it?
Crumbs - between Ned and Nancy, you mean? I haven't seen the film but I'm sure they never get further than holding hands and kissing in the books (I read the 1970s Armada editions), even when they've been dating for twenty years (well, the books do seem to go on forever!)

Wasn't Ned's surname Nickerson, or am I going a bit mad? If so, then even if Nancy married Ned she'd be Nancy "Knickers On"! :wink:

I remember watching a Nancy Drew TV series in the late 1970s. I think it was that series that contained an episode in which a detective drew an outline with chalk around a dead body, to mark its position before it was removed. My sister and I thought that was cool, and spent a happy hour or so out on the patio with a piece of chalk, taking it in turns to be dead body and detective! :roll:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jen-Jen

Post by Jen-Jen »

It's perfectly clean Lizarfau - I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be suitable for your 6 year old. There is a tiny bit of fighting - Nancy Drew vs the bad guys, but nothing too much for a 6 year old - only a villain grabbing Nancy by the leg and a bit of a scramble.

And no tissues required - unless of course you are one to get teary at very happy endings!

Yes Anita, Ned's surname is Nickerson! I laughed out loud at your "Knickers on" :lol:
I can't recall any books in which Nancy and Ned kiss. Holding hands yes, and the occasional kiss on the cheek, but that's it. But I do recall some from the Nancy Drew On Campus series where Nancy had a new boyfriend (how could she!!!) and I think there may have been some kissing. Poor Ned missed out! :wink:
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Thanks, Jen-Jen - well, the deal will be I'll take him to see Shrek III if he'll come with me to see Nancy Drew!
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I was never that much into Nancy Drew. I read a few of the 'new' ones in the eighties and they were okay but not brilliant. Then my mum told me that the originals had been written in the forties and got me one or two of them. I was excited because I loved the EB stories set in the forties but I found them dry and difficult to get into . Could be that at that age I was just unfamiliar with American culture.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Susie

Post by Susie »

I liked Nancy drew too, the library only had about 30 in all not even. Nancy was always the star, she knew everything, while Bets and George new nothing. The Hardy boys were better more adventurous.

Amazon has got the Nancy Drew Movie it! Its £5.99 you have to pre book it. Emma Roberts stars in it, the trailer looks really cool. I wonder if dvd rental will add it to their collection. {I am hoping so}
There is not much rave about it in the uk. I only found it after typing Nancy drew to Google.

Stephan, and anyone else who enjoyed them when they were young.}
Bunty and Mandy Annuals come out every November to Xmas time. they normally go cheaper after being on the shelves a few weeks. £4.99 instead of £6.99. Sold at Whsmith and some Newsagents.
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Even I like Nancy Drew and I've read all the books from my school library, which are at least about 60.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Susie

Post by Susie »

The movie is coming out on the 23 July, I can't wait.
Edit) This is not for UK just found out. :(
Last edited by Susie on 31 Jul 2007, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Jen-Jen

Post by Jen-Jen »

I'm sure you'll love it Susie! :D
Susie

Post by Susie »

Jen-Jen wrote:I'm sure you'll love it Susie! :D
I'm sure I will, I heard she doesn't have strawberry blond hair is this true?
It's a shame it's only available for preorder here at the moment, I read on another web site that it's coming out in the UK in October!
I don't think I will pre order it yet, I would rather go and see it first, know what I mean?