Nancy Drew

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
elizabeth
Favourite book/series: Five findouters,Famousfive,St clares,MaloryTowers
Favourite character: Bets Pat Isabel Claudine Bobby Snubby June

Re: Nancy Drew

Post by elizabeth »

No,there are three more books.In total there are 33 books.I will just put the pics now.
'What did you say?' said Mam'zelle who was not well up on american slang.'Did you say,"Hallo, bodies"?That is not correct,Claudine.You should say, "hallo,everybody." '
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

Does any Nancy Drew fan know if the books are still running ?

How many case files were there in all .? Those were truly engrossing , nailbiting suspense stories .....especially the earlier ones

By the way isnt the author of Nancy Drew ,Hardy boys and Bobsey Twins (any more to the list ...)the same ?
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

aminmec wrote:Does any Nancy Drew fan know if the books are still running ?

How many case files were there in all .? Those were truly engrossing , nailbiting suspense stories .....especially the earlier ones

By the way isnt the author of Nancy Drew ,Hardy boys and Bobsey Twins (any more to the list ...)the same ?
There are several different Nancy Drew series. Some have stopped, while others are running. The ones currently running are: Nancy Drew Girl Detective (45 books in that, with a 46th due out soon), Nancy Drew New Case Files (graphic novels; only two entries in that, but a third has just come out I think) and Nancy Drew Notebooks (featuring a much younger Nancy - or it might be Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew; I forget which came first).

The original Nancy Drew series (which featured 175 books in all, the first 56 of which are regarded as "classic" and only published in hardback, while the remainder are considered "Digests" and published in paperback) has stopped, but many books (especially the first 56 plus some later Digests) are still available.

The Nancy Drew Files series (which I think had 123 books) is out of print, but most of the books from this series are fairly easy to obtain second hand. These were a little more "grown-up" with added romance and violence.

There was another series of 25 books called Nancy Drew on Campus (in which she goes to college), but that's generally regarded as pretty poor.

The Nancy Drew books had different authors writing under one pseudonym, but they were created (along with the Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Tom Swift and a bunch of other American juvenile series) by the Stratemeyer Syndicate. Many of these series were thought up by the Syndicate's founder, Edward Stratemeyer.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
aminmec

Post by aminmec »

Whew!!! Thanks a lot for the exhaustive information ... It appears ND is never going out of popularity.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Elizabeth. It's interesting to see what those books look like.
Even if I did have to scroll through several yards of page! Maybe a URL link would have been better? :roll:
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I just recently read Nancy Drew book :24 A clue in the old album.I simply loved it there was not even a single thing that was boring plus the mother had the name Enid. It was all about Gypsies plus i found out that the writer was constantly telling of how handsome people are and this is the similarity in me that i always look on to some one beautiful. I get impressed with beautiful people. Has any one read this part of Nancy Drew!
aminmec

Post by aminmec »

No I have'nt read that part of Nancy Drew
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

zaidi wrote:I just recently read Nancy Drew book :24 A clue in the old album.I simply loved it there was not even a single thing that was boring plus the mother had the name Enid. It was all about Gypsies plus i found out that the writer was constantly telling of how handsome people are and this is the similarity in me that i always look on to some one beautiful. I get impressed with beautiful people. Has any one read this part of Nancy Drew!
I've read Clue in the old album, is that what you're asking?
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Yup, Fiona Darling you are right! I liked Nick Nickerson in that too, what characters did you like? The most amazing thing was about those dolls , how important they were to Gypsies and i can't imagine a poisoning Doll.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You mean Ned Nickerson? I always like Ned (except when he starts complaining about how much time Nancy spends solving crime!). I can't remember an awful lot about the book... but I remember the old lady was quite sweet (though typically useless).

Just went and got it off the shelf. Mine is numbered 34 in the series, though.

The poisonous witch doll is just creepy!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

how lovely to discuss a book with some one who has interest in it! :D
I liked Mrs Struthers (the old lady) the best quality she had was to collect dolls , i wish i had a friend with a nature such as Ned Nickerson but in a girl! :wink:
I think maybe you or me has got a misprint of the book that's why it's numbered 24 on mine and 34 in yours.
Fiona i think you've read most of the Nancy Drew series , does caroline keene always has some one beautiful in the book or is it she only tells of beautiful people in only book 24. Do you look onto people beautiful?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

zaidi wrote: Do you look onto people beautiful?
I may well notice in a crowd someone who stands out because of their physical beauty. But among people I get to know well, looks soon become unimportant and the most beautiful ones are those whose characters are beautiful.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

zaidi wrote: I think maybe you or me has got a misprint of the book that's why it's numbered 24 on mine and 34 in yours.
Fiona i think you've read most of the Nancy Drew series , does caroline keene always has some one beautiful in the book or is it she only tells of beautiful people in only book 24. Do you look onto people beautiful?
Might be different publishers have printed the books in a different order.

I have about 100 Nancy Drew books, but that's probably only about half of them. There are always 'beautiful people' mentioned, but the nice thing is, they're not all conventional beauties. Nancy, George and Bess are all described as attractive yet Nancy has red hair, Bess is chubby and George is boyish. Many friends they come across are described as attractive too, whether they have lovely eyes or nice hair. Personalty seems to shine through in people's looks in the books, for example a woman may be 'beautiful' but if she's a horrible person she may also have 'cold eyes' or a 'harsh frown'. Older women, or perhaps less attractive women often still have a smile that lights up their eyes and face.

Are you aware 'Carolyn Keene' isn't real? It's just a name used for the books, they were in fact written by lots of different anonymous author.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Are you aware 'Carolyn Keene' isn't real? It's just a name used for the books, they were in fact written by lots of different anonymous author.
Yup, I am aware of that!
Yesterday i saw a fat women but she was so elegant from her face and the way she spoke that i simply fell in love with her ,though i am a girl myself! She spoke just like good teachers do, as she was a teacher herself. I saw her in a ceremony yesterday.

But some times i still don't understand that why i always look on to beautiful people , when i don't know what they are like inside.
I wish that i had some mysteries to solve my self but are solving mysteries fiction or could it turn to be true.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

zaidi wrote:But some times i still don't understand that why i always look on to beautiful people , when i don't know what they are like inside.
If you mean why are you attracted to beautiful/handsome people, then that is basic sexual attraction - without it, people (or animals in general) wouldn't reproduce. As Anita implies, beauty is only skin deep. There is a saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A man doesn't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because he loves her. The initial attraction is the gateway to knowing the person "inside", as you put it. If physical (outside) beauty continues into a woman's personality (inside), a man is indeed fortunate. I was lucky enough to be one of those men. :D
Society Member