Does anyone know who wrote this book?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Does anyone know who wrote this book?

Post by jen »

I'm afraid I can't remember who wrote this or what it was called but I'm quite sure there can only be one book which matches the story and hopefully it will ring a bell with someone!

It was about children being evacuated to Wales during the war and focussed on a brother and sister - the boy was called Nick, the girl Carrie. They were sent to live with a brother and sister (the brother was Mr Evans and his false teeth clicked) above a village shop. Another boy from their party was sent to (I think) Mr Evan's mother's house to live with Hepzibah and a mentally disabled man called Mr Johnny who couldn't talk. There was something to do with a skull being thrown into a pond.

After the war Carrie returned with her children to the village and found Hepzibah and Mr Johnny and I think they were still in touch with the boy who was billetted with them.

Any ideas anyone, please?! Thanks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's Carrie's War by Nina Bawden. It's one of my favourite Nina Bawden books.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

Thank you Anita - I can get it from the library now! I loved it when I was a child and I can't wait to read it again. Did they televise it at some point do you know?

Thanks again
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, there was a TV series in the 1970s which I remember fondly as well as a film version in 2004 which I also enjoyed.

Does anyone know whether the 1970s Carrie's War has ever been released on video or DVD?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Does anyone know whether the 1970s Carrie's War has ever been released on video or DVD?

Anita
I doubt it, the powers that be seem reluctant to put any of these old children's dramas onto video, let alone DVD. I do have the book, but I also thought that I had the 2004 version on DVD, but can't find it.

I have been watching Children's TV on Trial this week on BBC4 (thanks to Nigel pointing it out) and I am disappointed that they have mentioned so few of the excellent drama series - plenty of Grange Hill but not much of anything else. I haven't watched the 50s yet, but I have seen the 60s, 70s and 80s and as yet not a single mention of Noddy!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Noddy flashed on the screen in Goodbye, Children, everywhere (I think it was called), but blink and you would have missed it.

I agree with you Tony, there is such a wealth of children's drama from the 50s to today, but it seems the more soapy ones get the mentions.

I would have expected better from Aunty. :cry:
Society Member