Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anna Moss

Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Post by Anna Moss »

To be honest even though lewis carol's books are quite hard to read
I'm quite a fan of Alice in wonderland. Anyone else a fan? :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, I've been a fan since early childhood. My daughter played the part of Alice in her school play - Alice, The Musical - last year and I enjoyed helping her learn her lines and songs.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, has always been my number one children's classic.

Written by the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, using the psedonym, Lewis Carroll, was first released in 1865.

I can remember as a very small child, looking down rabbit holes to see if I could climb down!

I have an Alice mug, and a plaque in the garden depicting the Mad Hatter's tea Party, just seen behind Jane's head!

Society Member
Jools
Favourite book/series: The Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Julian

Post by Jools »

The plaque looks lovely! Did you have it specially made?
Half term at last!

Forums' First Angela.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

No, I bought it for Simon, as he's a fan of the book, but now he lives in a roof in Camden, he's got nowhere to hang it!
Society Member
Kathelyne

Post by Kathelyne »

moonraker wrote:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland,

I can remember as a very small child, looking down rabbit holes to see if I could climb down!
lol, I didn't know what rabbit holes were, so I thought they were something made up... hehe
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: lewis carol

Post by Almas »

EvenI simply love the Alice books although I haven't read the sequel. The first book is humorious and funny but sometimes I found it a bit hard to read sometimes... :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
DirtyDick
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five on a Hike Together

Post by DirtyDick »

Lewis Carol was a distant relative of my grandmother, my claim to fame :)

The only book I've read though is Alice in Wonderland, I could never really get into them.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I prefer Alice through the looking glass! :D
There is always something else new to learn.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As a child I had a lovely copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (retitled Alice in Wonderland) illustrated by Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone, and I read it many times:

I also read Through the Looking-Glass with illustrations by John Tenniel.

Although some of the send-ups of poetry and customs of the time were lost on me, I enjoyed the characters, surrealism, nonsense and word-play. My daughter liked both "Alice" books too and she played the part of Alice in Alice, the Musical at school.

In case anyone is interested, there's a free Alice Exhibition on at the British Library in London until 17th April. I visited it after a hospital appointment on Friday and it's pretty good. First you pass through an avenue of boards re-telling the story of Alice's adventures, with illustrations by different artists. That leads to several cases of interesting items including letters, diaries, manuscripts and photos by Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson; the wood-blocks of some of Tenniel's illustrations; vintage jigsaws etc. and "Alice" books illustrated by a range of artists. There are also a few Alice-related songs and film clips to listen to/watch.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Anita wrote
In case anyone is interested, there's a free Alice Exhibition on at the British Library in London until 17th April. I visited it after a hospital appointment on Friday and it's pretty good. First you pass through an avenue of boards re-telling the story of Alice's adventures, with illustrations by different artists. That leads to several cases of interesting items including letters, diaries, manuscripts and photos by Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson; the wood-blocks of some of Tenniel's illustrations; vintage jigsaws etc. and "Alice" books illustrated by a range of artists. There are also a few Alice-related songs and film clips to listen to/watch.
Thank you, Anita - we must try and visit. Charles Dodgson is buried in Guildford and the house where he lived is within a short walk of our house. Unfortunately it is privately owned as Guild Borough Council did not have the money to buy it and the National Trust were not interested. I am sure other countries would make more of their literary heritage. P. G. Wodehouse was born in Guildford but again the house is privately owned.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've only read "Alice" once, when I was in my early teens (I think), and wasn't quite sure what to make of it — I keep thinking I should try again, as I don't like the feeling I've missed out on a children's classic. I'd like to see the British Museum exhibition if I can, at least.

Meanwhile, coincidentally, I just discovered this: Which Alice in Wonderland character are you?

I answered as honestly as I could (some of the questions are quite unusual) and came out as Alice herself. Not sure how accurate that is! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thanks for the link, Courtenay - I come out as the Mad Hatter!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Interesting link, Courtenay. :D

I come out as the Cheshire Cat:

You're often congratulated on your beautiful smile. Make sure the rest of your body also appears.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I tried doing it again with several different answers for the ones I wasn't sure of, and still came out as Alice. So I guess I must be. 8)

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)