Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.

Post by Daisy »

I got Alice too although a couple of questions didn't really have any relevant matching answer for me.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Francis wrote:Charles Dodgson is buried in Guildford and the house where he lived is within a short walk of our house. Unfortunately it is privately owned as Guild Borough Council did not have the money to buy it and the National Trust were not interested. I am sure other countries would make more of their literary heritage. P. G. Wodehouse was born in Guildford but again the house is privately owned.
What a pity the houses aren't open to the public, Francis - though at least they still exist!

I did the quiz and came out as Alice:
Result: Alice
You're an inquisitive soul, but that can often land you in trouble.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I've visited the grave of Alice Liddell, who was Lewis Carrolls inspiration for "Alice in Wonderland". It is situated in the churchyard of St Michaels and all Angels church at Lyndhurst in the New Forest. The inscription on a small flat stone reads "The grave of Mrs Reginald Hargreaves - The "Alice" in Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland".
As a Child, Alice lived in Llandudno & her family was frequently visited by Mr Carroll. Later, She married Reginald Hargreaves & moved to Lyndhurst. The couple had two Sons but, sadly, both were killed in action during the First World War! It was Alice's wishes, that on her death, no mention of her connection with the Alice stories was to be inscribed on her headstone! Obviously, Someone went against her wishes!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... hurst1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

number 6 wrote: It was Alice's wishes, that on her death, no mention of her connection with the Alice stories was to be inscribed on her headstone! Obviously, Someone went against her wishes!
I guess they figured she wouldn't be there to see it, after all... :wink:

The other day, I visited the Guildford Museum, where they have an exhibition of prints of John Tenniel's original illustrations for the Alice books. (Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson lived in Oxford for much of his career, but it happened that he died in Guildford, so they have some claim to a connection there too.) They had a very affordable (£1.99 :mrgreen: ) Wordsworth Classics edition of the two Alice stories in one volume, so I've bought that, as I've wanted to read them properly for a while.

I did read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland once when I was about 13 or 14 and thought it was a bit too weird — it was one I hadn't grown up with — but I was a bit cynical about a lot of things as a teenager, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it (and Looking-Glass) better now that I'm "old enough to start reading fairy stories again", to quote C.S. Lewis. :wink: So far, I'm enjoying it! It is pretty surreal, but I realise that's part of the fun.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)