The Chartfield School Mystery by Monica Marsden

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Amberrose

The Chartfield School Mystery by Monica Marsden

Post by Amberrose »

I know this is quite a well-known book title, but does anyone know what the story was about? I remember reading a book in the 50s about a girl called Judith who started a new school in the early 50s and solved a mystery. Some of the other characters were called Anne Mason who was known as Inky because she always got ink on herself, twins Priscilla and Patience who pretended to be each other and Coppernob because she had flaming red hair. There were two girls called Lisbeth Fletcher and Jennifer who were the baddies. Do all these characters appear in the Chartfield School Mystery, or am I talking about a completely different story?
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I've just been to look, but the only Monica Marsden I've got with me at the moment is Beacon Hill Mystery - annoying! But I'm pretty sure you're right, even though I've only read it the once, a few years ago at that. I couldn't recap the plot, but the name Inky rings a serious bell - I can almost see her name on the caption of the frontis, though I'm probably projecting! I can check for sure the next time I'm at home with my books, if no-one else has replied by then, because I know I've got a copy of it.