Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Lord of the Rings?

Post by Moose »

I tend to just start it again when I get to the end heh. But it's great to see a fellow fan here! Do you have any favourite passages or chapters or characters?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I have many favourite parts of the books. The journey through the Mines of Moria is great as is the scene where the Ents have just overthrown Orthanc and imprisoned Saruman. The ride through the kingdom of the dead is thrilling as is the whole battle of Helms Deep. The description of Frodo, Sam and Gollum crossing into Mordor is very atmospheric as well, I can picture myself scrambling and scrabbling up those dreadful grey mountainsides.

I actually feel a re-read coming on as I try to remember fave bits. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Does anyone know that a new film adaptation of the The Hobbit is going to be made??
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I'm not into Tolkein at all, but then I'm not into fantasy stuff generally. (Narnia and Harry Potter also leave me cold.) And by the sounds of it, his books are pretty heavy going anyway.

And yet, I live right in the heart of "Middle Earth". In fact, Weta Workshops, where the special effects were done and I think some scenes were shot, is about 5-10 minutes' drive from my house, and one of Peter Jackson's houses is in the next suburb! Many scenes of the LOTR movies were shot in parts of Wellington quite close by to me!

I also remember that when the first movie came out, Wellington was renamed as Middle Earth for a week, and the erstwhile evening newspaper, The Evening Post, called itself the Middle Earth Post! The third movie actually had its world premiere in Wellington, so there was a lot of hoopla over that, and the country got pretty excited at all the Oscars the movies won, especially the third one!

But I'm afraid it still didn't do that much for me. I suppose living in New Zealand aka Middle Earth and not being a LOTR fan must be akin to living in the Lake District and not being a Beatrix Potter fan, or living in Dorset and not being an Enid Blyton fan, or something like that. However, I was as proud as any New Zealander at how well the movies did, and they certainly showcased this country's natural beauty rather splendidly (although I've only ever seen clips of them).

The only LOTR things I've ever bought were the stamp sets that NZ Post issued for each movie. Even then, I didn't buy them for myself, but for a Kinder Surprise collector in the UK who sent me some KS toys that I couldn't get here in exchange for the stamps. Actually, I do also have a couple of the Kinder Surprise LOTR sets, which are of excellent quality.

So at the end of the day, my interest in LOTR only extends as far as New Zealand's involvement in the movies. Otherwise, it's "Earl Grey" to me. (Earl Grey is a well-known variety of tea, but I can't stand it, so what I'm saying is that it's not my cup of tea!) But I thought I'd give a bit of a Kiwi angle, given how significant this country has become to the whole LOTR and Tolkein universe.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Moose

Post by Moose »

I live in the Lake District and can't say that I am much of a Beatrix Potter fan .. all those twee talking animals leave me a bit cold *grins*. Living so close to Weta must be wonderful though! I thought that NZ was showed to distinct advantage in the films .. absolutely beautiful scenery.
Time to die.

EF
davejeffery
Favourite book/series: Famous Five and The Secret Seven

Post by davejeffery »

For me one of the greatest literary feats of all time. No Tolkien - no Potter; make no mistake!

Dave
'She always did love to dance....'
Moose

Post by Moose »

I presume you mean Harry Potter and not Beatrix :). Not sure I agree though. Tolkien's writing was NOT original and I doubt that he'd even try to claim that it was. He was writing - exceptionally well - in a genre that already existed. Rowling is following on.
Time to die.

EF
shavinda

Post by shavinda »

very interesting story
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Um yes *grins*. I dunno if interesting is even the word I would use but that said, it's difficult to find one word that would adequately sum up Lord of the Rings. Incomparable would perhaps be the closest that I could get. There is so much in there, such a richness and a splendour - if that doesn't sound horribly pompous, which it probably does - that I can't think of anything at all that I could compare it to.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I think it should be "meoison" for me - mixture of meat and poison! :lol: Sometimes I find the book horribly boring. And other times I like it, and think it's brilliant. Upto page 325 now; can't decide whether I like it overall or not! :? (I'm on Book 2, Chapter Six.)
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Rachel
Favourite book/series: Six Cousins/Malory Towers

Post by Rachel »

I watched the films recently and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them,although I found the Frodo and Sam stuff rather boring in the second two,largely because Gollum was with them and he irritated me so much. :lol: I adore Aragorn,took one look at him and fell head over heels in love,so obviously I enjoyed his scenes most. :D And I think Gandalf's great,especially when he beat that bloke up with his staff. :lol:

After watching and loving the films I decided to read the books,including The Hobbit,and I really enjoyed those too and found Frodo,Sam and Gollum much more interesting when written down. I was surprised that Faramir was actually a really nice guy,and was relieved by the lack of Arwen in the books-I preferred Eowyn in the films and it carried across to the books. I plan to buy the books and films as soon as I can. I was really impressed by the sheer scale of imagination Tolkien has-the Ents,the Hobbits,the lengthy descriptions of everywhere and everything which I loved as you can imagine you're there with them if you get a decent description of the surroundings,and even moments of humour that I didn't expect,for some reason-like Frodo observing Sam trying to tell himself he has some rope in his bag,which really made me laugh.
Jack clutched at Philip,panic-stricken. "He's right.We're coming to a cataract!A gigantic underground waterfall!" -my favourite moment of the entire Adventure series!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Rachel wrote: After watching and loving the films I decided to read the books,including The Hobbit,and I really enjoyed those too and found Frodo,Sam and Gollum much more interesting when written down.
The relationship between Frodo and Sam is a major part of the Lord of The Rings trilogy, especially from The Two Towers onwards. Frodo and Sam are very similar in many respects to the Officer and Batman scenario of the British Army in the First World War. Both Hobbits are from vastly different social backgrounds, and Sam therefore defers to Frodo in much the same way as an ordinary soldier would defer to an Officer. JRR Tolkien was a Signals Officer during the Battle of the Somme and would have had first hand experience of this situation.
I was really impressed by the sheer scale of imagination Tolkien has the Ents,the Hobbits,the lengthy descriptions of everywhere and everything which I loved as you can imagine you're there with them if you get a decent description of the surroundings.
I am glad not to be the only reader who enjoys the scenery of Middle-Earth almost as much as the story itself! The landscapes created in the minds eye by The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are incredible. One is literally tramping alongside Frodo, Gandalf and the rest of the Fellowship. Tolkien's love of trees, forests, grassy plains, rivers and mountains is evident for all to see.
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

Oh yes, very much so. Some people have said to me that they find the books 'boring' or 'waffly' or that there was 'too much walking'. I have never understood that opinion because to me it was as though I was on the journey myself, every step of the way. Some of the most truly beautiful, descriptive prose that I have ever encountered in my life has come from the journey of the Fellowship.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
janey
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, malory Towers, LOTR, Doctor Who,
Favourite character: George and Pippin from LOTR

Post by janey »

I think LOTR is my fav book ever, i love Tolkien i love his descriptions his way of drawing me into the story the amount of work he put into the language and cultures is phenomanal the appedicies are a book unto tthem self

i also love the Hobbit much easier start to get into the world of middle earth and i am eagerly awiting the release of the film now peter jackson is back in the directors chair the trilogy was nothing short of amazing

LONG LIVE FRODO :D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.- Bilbo Baggins
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

I have just spent Christmas in Middle Earth rereading the Lord of the Rings. With a very few exceptions almost all of my family and friends cannot even be persuaded to pick it up, but it is one of my favourite books, and for complete and total escapism I find it unbeatable. My favourite book is the Fellowship of the Ring as I love the visits to Rivendell and Lorien, and the scenes in Moria; also I prefer the less disjointed narrative, and the interaction of all of the Fellowship. In the other books I particularly enjoy Sam and Frodo's story - I love Sam. There are certainly lengthy descriptive passages, and sometimes if they become too geographically detailed (what lies to the south, north etc) I can find them hard to visualise but for the most part they add to the "reality" of this world; as others have said you really feel you are there. I enjoy the films too, mostly things are as I imagined them- Moria was particularly terrific - and though I do miss parts like Tom Bombadil's house, some things just have to be left out. I have just reread the Hobbit for the first time. It was one of our class novels in my first year of grammar school and I have to admit I loathed it then, but, thirty-five years later I enjoyed it very much.