Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah - I've not read the book.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes they definitely spiced up the action scenes a bit. I thought they lost some of the more gentle good humour of the book in favour of all that swashbuckling but overall it was good and I look forward to the other two parts.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Me and my dad are doing a LordoftheRings-athon (is that what you call it?) So far we've watched the Fellowship of the Rings and I think it's wonderful. I've now realized how similar it is to Harry Potter. They have to destroy something/s. Gandalf and Dumbledore are so similar! And the ring, like Slytherin's locket, it sort of possesses you.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a similarity between Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

There's also quite a similar theme in that a long-banished (but not dead) evil entity has come back and slowly infects various parts of the world very secretly. Only a few people recognise this, and for a time nobody is willing to believe it. It's then down to a band of 'people' with little or no authority in the world to save everyone else.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Danger Bird
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

Yep, it's safe to say that Rowling "borrowed" quite a few ideas from Tolkien. I know it's impossible to write anything without being influenced by what's gone before but in Rowling's case it can seem like blatant plagiarism. Wormtongue and Wormtail anyone?
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

In my opinion Tolkien and Rowling were both harking back to ancient legends and folk-tales which often featured wise wizards, objects of power, quests, battles, the defeat of evil entities and themes like greed, envy, loyalty and courage. The word "worm" comes from the Anglo-Saxon "wyrm", meaning "serpent" or "dragon", so it's not surprising to find it used in the names of evil characters created by different authors. Tolkien is known to have had a deep interest in Anglo-Saxon, Old Norse and other European mythologies and it's clear from the Harry Potter books that Rowling was also fascinated by myth and legend, e.g. Fluffy the three-headed dog resembles Cerberus from Greek mythology. So I think the fact that both authors had a love of ancient legends explains the similarities.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

I have a new German translation in my bookshelf with a lot of nice illustration and statements to the text. I suppose this version exits also in England. :-) Hope I will find the time to read it soon. :-)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have versions from the 1980s. I can't remember if they have illustrations in them or not. I think just maps. There are plenty of notes in the books however, but some of them I found a little confusing when it kept referring to previous goblins wars and that type of thing.

I hope you enjoy the books. I certainly did.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

All my sister's generation seemed to have read the LOTR and I was determined not to, but in the 1970s I gave in and loved it! For some reason it sucked me in and I have not emerged since. Must be time for me to read the books again. I do understand those who didn't like it as it is a very long fantasy. The films were also amazing - I didn't believe they could ever be filmed successfully.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

I like esspecially one of last chapters. How the Hobbits defends the Shire together.
Katharine wrote:I have versions from the 1980s. I can't remember if they have illustrations in them or not. I think just maps. There are plenty of notes in the books however, but some of them I found a little confusing when it kept referring to previous goblins wars and that type of thing.

I hope you enjoy the books. I certainly did.
Sorry forgotten the title. In this case I mean the Hobbit. :-) It`s the German version of second edition of The Annotated Hobbit [Hardcover] --- It`s great. A lot of pictures in it etc. :-) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annotated-Hobbi ... 0007137273 Anybody who owns it also?
honesty
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

The Hobbit by J. R. R Tolkien

Post by honesty »

I know they has been a topic about the Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit but I have found there isn't a topic just for the Hobbit.
It's a great book isn't it? I am currently watching the movie and it's very interesting!!! I think all the effects and props are very interesting and cool. I am also finding it very dramatic as well...

Well enough of me, I'll post soon,
-Honesty

Merged with an earlier thread.
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Aarham's school showed the children The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey last week which they all enjoyed very much. He had of course seen it with me much earlier. Since then I've been jokingly calling him Bilbo because he's just three feet tall and has the cutest Hobbit hair. At first he found it mildly annoying but in time has come to love the nickname.

It is his birthday on Friday, and for the second time in his life we're going to have a party just for him (for the past 4 years he, my best friend and I celebrated triple birthdays at our place because they have the same birthday and mine is just a week afterwards). He requested a Hobbit themed party, so this is what I have been doing for the past 2 hours:

The card is to be shaped like Bilbo's door, like this: (posting a link since it's too big)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298 ... G00132.jpg

Card tutorial can be found here: http://tikkido.com/node/826

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fabulous, Ming! I'm sure Aarham will love it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Danger Bird wrote:Yep, it's safe to say that Rowling "borrowed" quite a few ideas from Tolkien. I know it's impossible to write anything without being influenced by what's gone before but in Rowling's case it can seem like blatant plagiarism. Wormtongue and Wormtail anyone?
Danger Bird, well put. When I saw the last film on Harry Potter (which was divided into two parts), I often wondered whether Rowling was aiming to win some Oscars as Tolkien's Lord of The Rings had previously done!!!
Stephen I.