Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Re: Harry Potter

Post by 7upromana01 »

no not on the Journal! On the actual front page of the website!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote:
7upromana01 wrote:Before I came I was on the front page of the EBS.
Really? What edition was that? :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
7upromana01

Re: Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Post by 7upromana01 »

I am loyal to you guys though. And if I go on another web I'll be too busy and have to leave you!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

It's possible to do several sites at once you know :)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Never read any HP, as someone wittily said its just Billy Bunter on a broomstick.

Watched the third film at the cinema with my daughter and was underwhelmed by the CGI and the poor acting.
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

i thought the acting was good!
Abi.

Danger Bird
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

If Daniel Radcliffe was any more wooden he'd need Ronseal's quick drying wood stain! His acting makes it hard to watch the films. I don't know how he got such a lucrative part, there must have been thousands kids auditioning. Was he really the best? :shock:
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I recently watched the first two films again on DVD and Daniel Radcliffe seemed just right in the first one - innocent and full of wonder at all that was happening. In the second film I felt he didn't convey as much emotion but I think that might have had something to do with the fact that his voice was breaking and had gone squeaky, so it was probably difficult for him to put as much expression into what he was saying.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
7upromana01

Post by 7upromana01 »

I think that the 2nd movie is the worst.
Abi.

Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I don't like any of the films anywhere near as much as I like the books. Nonetheless I certainly would not agree that tbe books are 'Billy Bunter on a broomstick' .. they are very far from it.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I recently read the first book of Harry potter “the philosopher's stone". I think that after reading the book I’d enjoy seeing the movie more than just without reading the book. This is the funniest thing in this book “Funny way to go to a wizard’s school, magic carpets have they got punctures, have they?”
I mean why did harry go through a train!
Here is a little passage I wrote about my own self as a wizard. I’d like to know the remarks!
Topic: From school of humans to school of wizards
Zainab Zaidi was born in a family of normal humans beings unlike her identity. Her life was full of ups and downs because whatever she thought or wanted to do never accomplished. She was an average person no good at studies even after working day &night, neither was she good at sports even after liking it so much. The biggest obstacle in her life was maths and making friends.
One sunny morning she sat at the edge of the wall depressed about her misfortune and worried about her future when an owl sat at her knees, dropped a letter. The letter was an invitation to the school of wizardry that said
“You are a wizard born in a family of humans now it’s time for you to join. Your life is going to change don’t be depressed. During summer holidays we have are classes so you don’t miss your human studies. So catch up tomorrow the king cross carpet at night.
From the school of wizardry Anaphora,
Zainab felt ecstasy at this fortune and told her mum and you know what her mum said
‘Is there a bee in your bonnet or are you mentally ill’ how in the world could there be such a school?!
But next night not believing her eyes she saw the flying carpet high up in the air and then she let her daughter go!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

zaidi wrote:This is the funniest thing in this book “Funny way to go to a wizard’s school, magic carpets have they got punctures, have they?”
I mean why did harry go through a train!
Flying carpets were banned by the British Ministry of Magic because they are enchanted muggle objects - illegal under the "Misuse of Muggle Artefacts" legislation.

Broomsticks would be too conspicuous (and muggle borns wouldn't know how to fly anyway). Apparition is out for several reasons (under 17s can't apparate, apparating long distances is difficult especially if you are side-along apparating, not to mention that fact that you cannot apparate in or out of Hogwarts). For security the floos in Hogwarts are passworded, and muggle-born's houses wouldn't be connected to the floo network anyway. So unless everyone made their own way (apparating/flooing/driving) to Hogsmeade individually, there's no other way to Hogwarts.

If you consider all that, the train makes perfect sense. Remember the Whyteleaf children take the train as do many of the girls at Malory Towers.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

If you think about it Zaidi, 1001 Arabian Nights had stories about magic and flying carpets!
Maybe it inspired JK Rowling.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wow Fiona, you've obviously given the books a lot of thought. Maybe you could compile a monthly quiz similar to the Enid Blyton? :D
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Fiona thanks for the information about it.
How is the passage written?