Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Harry Potter 7

Post by Almas »

Same here in my country!

Hundreds and hundreds of posters are on the walls of various bookshops and there is also a service where you can "reserve" your name for the book, because they are going to run out of copies.

One of my friend's brother, works in the bookshop and told me that about 50,000 copies are going to be shipped to the UAE! Ooooh! Which means that its going to be bestseller here too! :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Wow - I can't believe there is only a week to go till Deathy Hallows! I'm overflowing with excitement! :D
Almas wrote:I think the film Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has already been released in the UK. Has any member seen it?
Yeah, I saw it the other day - it was good - I really loved Luna - a magnificant performance!!!! :D
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

The Observer printed the opening sentences of DH, without any warning, this weekend - very kind of them :roll: . Still, not long now!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Only a few hours for Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows to be released. I know there will be huge midnight queues in the UK and tomorrow evening, I shall be queueing up the local book-store, waiting for my copy! :D

Hap, hap, happy reading to all HP fans on these forums!

Almas

Edit: I came across a nice article on Yahoo! News. You can read it here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070720/ap_ ... k__rowling
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I managed to get to the 21st July without being spoiled, for which miracle I am truly grateful. I stood in the long line at Asda with my headphones in and music blaring. I wasn't taking any chances.

And what a book! What a ride! I am exhausted and emotionally drained. Probably the best book I have ever read.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Good for you, Matt. Glad you managed to get away without any spoilers!
Matt wrote:Probably the best book I have ever read.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wh...wa...what??!

Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Got one in Tesco on Saturday, also, miraculously, I was unspoiled til the end!

NOT the best book I've ever read, but a good end to a series of which I am very fond.

Won't say any more, don't want to ruin it for anyone who has been let down by Amazon etc, and isn't finished it yet.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As I was working a night shift, I didn't have to queue - I just strolled into Tesco at 2.30am and bought a copy!

What a tremendous climax. definitely the best series of books I have ever read!

Yes, I know there will be shouts of horror...What about the Famous Five!!!!

Just consider the planning, detail, continuity, incredible imagination, 40 odd pages to end (unlike Enid's page and a half!)....no contest!

Ah well, back to the Secret Seven.....

Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:....no contest!
Image :wink:

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

It was brilliant. I went to the midnight release with my nephew. REad the book overnight and on the Saturday .. had to keep making myself stop to spin it out. It was the best of the lot.

Gratuitous advertising: I've got a temp HP 7 section on Ef now here: http://europeforum.12.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=43 any fans (or even detractors) are welcome there!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Almas

Post by Almas »

I have already finished reading the book and I must say that it is a brill! What an imagination J.K. Rowling has, honestly!

Ah well, Harry didn't die! :P

Somehow, I really will miss the series so much - and I am looking forward to see more masterpieces of children's literature from the wonderous J.K. Rowling :D

Almas

Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I was glad that HArry did not die .. I had feared that he would. There was some inspired writing towards the end of the book. I know that ROwling is always criticised for 'not being a brilliant writer' and there is some truth in that (she has a brilliant imagination but not a brilliant prose style) but the last few chapters were absolutely perfect.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Almas

Post by Almas »

Well, in my opinion, Rowling certainly is a genius and sometimes I like to compare Harry Potter with the Lord of the Rings. For example, the Nazgul with the Dementors, Wormtail with Wormtongue, and Harry with Frodo and Pip and Merry with the Weasley twins.

There is no doubt that Rowling got some ideas from Tolkien....

Almas

Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I agree that J. K. Rowling is a genius. Her prose isn't elegant like some writers today (Philip Pullman, for instance), but it is good, straightforward and very visual writing. Rather like our Enid's, in fact. Where JKR really comes into her own is with plotting and characterisation. What an imagination that woman has!
Just consider the planning, detail, continuity, incredible imagination, 40 odd pages to end (unlike Enid's page and a half!)....no contest!
'Ear, 'ear, Nigel. ;)
There is no doubt that Rowling got some ideas from Tolkien....
The idea of the Horcrux locket altering the wearer's personality for the worse is definitely quite Tolkienistic. There were also many Arthurian themes in the latest book.

Ming, have you read any of the Harry Potter novels?
Ming

Post by Ming »

Yes Matt, I read the first three novels - I found it really, well, icky. I just can't stand those spells and spiders and eating potions and all the other things - they scare me! :oops: But then, I read the books when I was in Grade 3, so probably I'll have a different opinion now. I just daren't even try.

Yes, I hear you say "Ming, scared? Of spells and spiders? What a person! Just like a GIRL..." :roll:

Nigel's been telling me off and even showing me forums and groups he's discovered. So far he hasn't succeeded, but he HAS succeeded with Agatha Christie. Who knows, perhaps one day, (maybe years later) I'll pick up an HP and thank you all! :wink: :)

Society Member