Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Harry Potter 7

Post by Moose »

I agree with Matthew. Rowling's prose style is a bit clumsy at times - she's not a brilliant writer. But the quality of her imagination is quite exceptional. I think her writing style improved throughout the series too .. there were parts at the end of book 7 which touched brilliance.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

I saw Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. It was as good as the last HP book! The CGI animation was amazing and so the portrayal of the all the characters. Dolores Umbridge and Luna Lovegood were brilliant and so was Katie Leung, who played Cho Chang.

I especially loved the portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange.

No wonder the film had a total budget of $150 million!!!

Almass
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Imelda Staunton stole the whole thing, I thought! But I might be biased, because she is one of my favourite actresses, incredibly versatile, I think she's good at playing almost every dramatic style. She was clearly having great fun with HP.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Almas

Post by Almas »

I agree with you Kitty. Imelda really is one of my favorite "old" actresses of all time. Her acting in the film was brilliant and I liked her role in all the previous films that she has done, especially in Chicken Run and Twelfth Night.

I think that her facial expressions are brilliant too...

Anyways, if there was a theaterical adaptation of the Famous Five books, I would to see her in a role of Aunt Fanny! :P
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Almas wrote:
Anyways, if there was a theaterical adaptation of the Famous Five books, I would to see her in a role of Aunt Fanny! :P

Ooh, yes - brilliant idea! Or if she felt like a return to playing staff, she'd be a wonderful Head of Malory Towers!
Almas

Post by Almas »

Oooooooh! And what about Fiona Shaw who playes Aunt Petunia to do a role of Mrs Stick?! I think she will look perfect! :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

More inspired casting, Almas - and another of my favourite actresses!
Almas

Post by Almas »

Hi Kitty. And what about Dakota Fanning as Anne? While I was younger, I also imagined the Olsen Twins to play the roles of Pat & Isabel O'Sullivan but now, the Olsens have grown...

Sorry for being off-topic. I hope Matthew won't mind!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Almas wrote:Oooooooh! And what about Fiona Shaw who playes Aunt Petunia to do a role of Mrs Stick?! I think she will look perfect! :)
She doesn't look much like a stick to me, I guess she will have to stick it out as they say. :P
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Well, personally I'm very fond of Fiona - and I simply love her role in Jane Eyre, Hedda Gabler and The Black Dahlia. Has anyone seen these films? Fiona's acting is brilliant in them... :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Almas wrote:Well, personally I'm very fond of Fiona - and I simply love her role in Jane Eyre, Hedda Gabler and The Black Dahlia. Has anyone seen these films? Fiona's acting is brilliant in them... :)
I am just joking Almas! :D
She is good though! :!:
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas

Post by Almas »

Glad to hear that, Suzie :!:

Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I just finished my second read :). Loved it just as much as the first time and it confirmed it in my opinion as the best of the seven. I was very moved by my reread of the Prince's tale. Poor Snape. We all knew that he was for it but still I wish that he and Harry could have been reconciled whilst he was still alive.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I agree with you Moose on all counts - definately the best book of the series and I too wish Harry and Snape could have reconciled. But I'm glad about the way it turned out with Harry thinking of Snape as one of the greatest people he knew.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

just managed to finish the new Hp! it's fantastic! but i was a bit confused about
harry dying and then sort of coming alive again . I agree it's the best harry potter
book ever! scary,though.