Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moose wrote:I never skim read ;). But I am perfectly capable of reading one of the later Harry Potter's in one sitting .. with the odd loo or coffee break that is.
Sounds like skim-reading to me! :wink:
Society Member
Billie

Post by Billie »

I read the last one in about 8 hours, but read it properly, not skimming. My sister would have killed me if she hadn't been able to finish it by monday at school as there was an infamous Potter-spoiler in her class. (Of course, she could have bought her own copy.)

I think the question of "Is Snape good or bad?" is far from straightforward. I read through the series carefully and am inclined to believe he is working against Voldemort - the clues are there - but there's no overlooking that he killed a man, an act stressed throughout the book as the ultimate act of evil.

I don't think Harry will kill Voldemort. I think he'll defeat him in another way. What that way is, I can't tell, but the emphasis that murder is a Very Bad Thing makes me doubt whether he'll just whip out his wand and Avada Kedavra him. But we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Not long to wait now :). But yeah, I worry about the fact that Harry is being condemned to be a murderer and hope that there is indeed another way. About Snape I am ambivalent. If I was forced to choose a side I would say that perhaps he is, indeed, on the dark side to reinforce Rowling's point that no human being is perfect and that even DD could and did make mistakes.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

From memory - isn't there something about Peter Pettigrew being in Harry's debt becasue Harry refused to kill him?

I can't help feeling that Harry has a bit of an ally within Voldermort's close circle.

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moose

Post by Moose »

I dunno - yes, there is something vaguely suggested about Pettigrew being in Harry's debt and it could be that something will come of this. Pettigrew is a coward but then, he is also a Gryffindor and unless the hat made a really big mistake he must be capable of SOME acts more noble than any we have let seen from him..
Time to die.

EF
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Good point Moose - I'd forgotten that Peter was a Gryffindor.

SNAPE IS GOOD!!!!!!!

Less than 100 days to go :D
Moose

Post by Moose »

I am not sure about the being good thing - it's too obvious. I think the biggest twist would be that he WAS bad, that Dumbledore had made a mistake, that his mistake had killed him and put Harry in great danger.

But - DD DID know that Snape had made the unbreakable vow because Harry told him. And he presumably must have known what the vow WAS so..
Time to die.

EF
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Ming wrote:Heard Harry was supposed to die in the last book. I don't know much about HP, I don't read fantasy much. I saw the movies and heard from my friends.
really?! well that will suprise all the fans
of HP I didn't think he would actually die! Isn't that a little too tragic?
:shock: :D
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

moonraker wrote:He'll shack-up with Hermione, live happily ever after, and find out that Snape is his real father.
:shock: :shock: :shock: snape= harry father :shock: :shock:
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Re: Harry Potter 7

Post by Kitty »

Just thought I'd give this thread a gentle bump, since the Hallows are almost upon us, as it were! And a warning if, like me, you like remaining unspoiled for the main event. An internet acquaintance of mine, who loves finding out what happens in advance, has said that in the last few hours some pretty legit seeming spoilers are now available online, so looks like the secrets are out. Fortunately she doesn't want to ruin the fun for anyone, so hasn't told me what they are, but on guard if you're browsing the Amazon, the Potter forums, comments pages on newspapers, etc!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Susie

Re:

Post by Susie »

anna moss wrote:
Ming wrote:Heard Harry was supposed to die in the last book. I don't know much about HP, I don't read fantasy much. I saw the movies and heard from my friends.
really?! well that will suprise all the fans
of HP I didn't think he would actually die! Isn't that a little too tragic?
:shock: :D

I heard the same....... :|
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

I'm certainly looking forward for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows . There are some nice discussions about the book at cosforums.com. I think that Harry will die in the last book and the last word won't be "scar" as J.K. Rowling once stated in an interview.

It's going to be released on 21st July and so only eight days more! Although, there won't be midnight queues and parties, in my country but hundreds of fans will be in bookshops, to buy the books :D

I think the film Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has already been released in the UK. Has any member seen it?

It's going to be released here in my country on July 29th and I'm very keen on watching it, while sitting on the cinema chair, eating popcorn and drinking Pepsi :D :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Don't think Harry'll die - think he might have to leave the magical world, though!

I will get round to seeing the film, but I prefer my cinemas empty, or at least with the back row to ourselves (to concentrate on the film, not for any more, ahem, interesting purpose, so I'll wait a couple more weeks then get to an early morning, near empty showing, hopefully.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Almas wrote: I think the film Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has already been released in the UK. Has any member seen it?
I saw it last night and enjoyed it. There was applause at the end (and when Harry kisses a girl during the film). However I'm not a big HP follower so probably not best placed to judge,
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Just been to a departmental store - and there are Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows posters everywhere!! All this publicity. :roll:

Good luck and happy reading to all fans! :D

*rushes to bookcase to get The Enid Blyton Dossier*

Society Member