Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Re: Harry Potter 7

Post by Icecream342 »

Yak wrote:I don't think anyone was being deliberately mean :). It's just irritating if you've not read or seen something and someone comes along and gives away a fairly significant chunk of the plot..

Sorry gye's. I can be over-dramatic
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Has anyone seen the final Harry Poter film? I've just been to see it and thought it incredibly well done. Just wish I'd taken some tissues though, there are only so many tears a cardigan sleeve can mop up.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have, and yes, I too cried a lot. Thankfully I had taken tissues!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona1986 wrote:I have, and yes, I too cried a lot. Thankfully I had taken tissues!
Without giving anything away to those who haven't read/seen HP7, which bit got you? For me it was Snape's memories.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote: Without giving anything away to those who haven't read/seen HP7, which bit got you? For me it was Snape's memories.
I cried at a few bits but most of my tears were for Snape.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's a while since I read the final volume, but I don't remember anything to bring on the tears. Is there more in the film than in the book?
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:It's a while since I read the final volume, but I don't remember anything to bring on the tears. Is there more in the film than in the book?
No, I don't think there's anything extra in the film. I cried at a couple of points in the book though, and to see them portrayed on the film in such an excellent way just set me off again. Mind you, it doesn't take a lot to make me cry, The Railway Children, Sound of Music, Ghost all spring to mind and I'm sure there are plenty of others. :D
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote:
Moonraker wrote:It's a while since I read the final volume, but I don't remember anything to bring on the tears. Is there more in the film than in the book?
No, I don't think there's anything extra in the film. I cried at a couple of points in the book though, and to see them portrayed on the film in such an excellent way just set me off again. Mind you, it doesn't take a lot to make me cry, The Railway Children, Sound of Music, Ghost all spring to mind and I'm sure there are plenty of others. :D
The film does beautifully portray Snape's memories and that had me just about sobbing. "After all this time?" "Always".

Katherine, "Daddy, my Daddy!" always makes me cry. Then again I cry at the end of The Little Mermaid when her father loves her so much he is willing to let her go, at The Lion King when Mufasa dies, I can't watch the Land Before Time any more it's too upsetting...

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona1986 wrote:The film does beautifully portray Snape's memories and that had me just about sobbing. "After all this time?" "Always".

Katherine, "Daddy, my Daddy!" always makes me cry. Then again I cry at the end of The Little Mermaid when her father loves her so much he is willing to let her go, at The Lion King when Mufasa dies, I can't watch the Land Before Time any more it's too upsetting...
Yes, the Snape part was beautifully done, the bit about Harry having his mother's eyes got me too. As for "Daddy, my Daddy" quick pass the tissues! I haven't seen the Lion King or Land Before Time, but if I ever do, I'll make sure the Kleenex are handy :wink:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I cried at Snape's memories. Always was my favourite character, that one. :cry: I can't recall when "Daddy, my Daddy!" line was spoken, though?

I can't watch The Land Before Time or The Lion King either, without bursting into tears!

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ming wrote:I cried at Snape's memories. Always was my favourite character, that one. :cry: I can't recall when "Daddy, my Daddy!" line was spoken, though?
I didn't like [film] Snape at first, but he grew on me and he's probably my favourite character now.

"Daddy, my Daddy" is from The Railway Children! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTPPSSbZWHI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about 5 minutes in. I was in tears from the 5 minute mark, before she even says it! *SOB*

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
ria ann
Favourite book/series: Famous Five,Five Find-Outers,St.Clares,
Favourite character: Timmy, George,Bobby,Claudine,Alicia

Post by ria ann »

After reading book 7 Snape is my favourite too...
Ria Ann
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I can't remember what my initial impression of Snape was on reading the first book, but certainly the first time I saw Alan Rickman on screen I thought he was rather lovely. :oops:

!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
SPOILER ALERT

I actually predicted that Dumbledore had asked Snape to kill him at the end of book 6, I just somehow felt that he wasn't as evil as he we had been led to believe all the way through. I wasn't surprised to learn he was a double agent either, but I thought the fact that he'd done everything because of his love for Lily very moving.

As for Railway Children, I've only got to hear the music leading up to the "Daddy" bit and the eyelids start prickling.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote:I can't remember what my initial impression of Snape was on reading the first book, but certainly the first time I saw Alan Rickman on screen I thought he was rather lovely. :oops:
Oh yes, I find Snape quite attractive myself!
Katharine wrote: !! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!
SPOILER ALERT

I actually predicted that Dumbledore had asked Snape to kill him at the end of book 6, I just somehow felt that he wasn't as evil as he we had been led to believe all the way through. I wasn't surprised to learn he was a double agent either, but I thought the fact that he'd done everything because of his love for Lily very moving.
I can't say I predicted that, but I was horrified that I might have been wrong about Snape being good, and was refusing to believe he was evil.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I really like Snape :) Dunno why cos he is so awful to Harry throughout the books but there's something very attractive about him. And, erm, the film Snape too :D
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;