What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by Kate Mary »

I'm reading Long Barrow another lovely family story by Gwendoline Courtney. Louise, Paul, Joanna and Sarah and their widowed mother go to live on their uncle's farm in Wiltshire where they meet their cousin Hugh, they find themselves living on a remote farm without electricity and water that comes from a well. There's no great drama in the novel, just the family coming to terms with their new home and beginning to enjoy country life. Reprints of this book were retitled The Farm on the Downs but mine is a Girls Gone By edition so it has reverted to its original title.

Something I have noticed about GGB is that their short print runs have got even shorter. Long Barrow was published last October but was already out of print after Christmas and this was also the case with a Mabel Esther Allan title, Three Go To Switzerland, that I bought at the same time. If you see a GGB title you fancy it might be best not to delay.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I launched my holiday reading with the first of the delightful MISS READ collection, set with humour and charm in the country village of Fairacre, a trilogy comprising Chronicles of Fairacre, Further Chronicles of Fairacre and Fairacre Roundabout, that should keep me going throughout July!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, Miss Read — my mum used to read her books all the time when I was little, and still enjoys them! I think I've only read one (The White Robin, which I think was in the Thrush Green series), which I don't remember very well, but I certainly liked it. Very charmingly English!

I'm coming towards the end of The Jungle Books (first and second in one volume, with wonderful illustrations by none other than Stuart Tresilian!) and hoping to move on to Poldark next, just to see what all the hype is about... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I really enjoy the Miss Read books and have read most of them. Delightfully English and a picture of a past age.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm reading the third book in the Paradise Barn series, called - Hidden Lies. Really enjoying this series. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Just finished reading "Whistler's Lane" by Anthea Fraser (1975), now reading "The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle from 1941 (which was filmed with Ray Milland).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I love Miss Read's books and have read all of them, except for her children's books!

I've just started a novel by another of my favourite writers, The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer, beautifully written and very funny.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm reading the third book in the Paradise Barn series, called - Hidden Lies. Really enjoying this series. :D
A wonderful series. Operation Blackout is my favourite, although it is the only title I don't own. I was very grateful for the loan of a copy from one of my good friends.
This is the fifth war-time story and – like the others – it is set in the country town of Great Deeping. Strictly speaking, it is not one of the Paradise Barn series because the barn doesn’t come into the story. But Abigail Murfitt and Hilda Pritt are very involved.
http://paradisebarn.com/books/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Three-Act Tragedy, by Agatha Christie
Society Member
loveenidblyton
Favourite book/series: MT
Favourite character: Darrell

Post by loveenidblyton »

Apart from my favorite Blyton, I am reading Louisa May Alcott and L. M Montgomery right now. the latter two are very different from the former. And how can I forget Angela Brazil. She too used to write school-life novels, only they are more girlish!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Which books are you reading from those two writers? Louisa May Alcott and especially L. M. Montgomery are some of my favourite authors.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I bet not many have read Louisa May Alcott's novel 'An Old Fashioned Girl'? I read it many years ago, but can't remember much about it. Also read 'Little Men' - which continues on from Good Wives - and the sequel Jo's Boys. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
loveenidblyton

Post by loveenidblyton »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Which books are you reading from those two writers? Louisa May Alcott and especially L. M. Montgomery are some of my favourite authors.
Yeah, well I`ve read lots of books written by them, including 'Little Women', 'Good Wives', 'An old-fashioned girl ' , 'A garland of flowers', 'Eight Cousins', 'Jo`s Boys' and 'Plumfeld'. As for Montgomery, I suggest you read the 'Anne' series.
loveenidblyton

Post by loveenidblyton »

Rob Houghton wrote:I bet not many have read Louisa May Alcott's novel 'An Old Fashioned Girl'? I read it many years ago, but can't remember much about it. Also read 'Little Men' - which continues on from Good Wives - and the sequel Jo's Boys. 8)
Hey! I have read both of them!
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

loveenidblyton wrote:
Machupicchu14 wrote:Which books are you reading from those two writers? Louisa May Alcott and especially L. M. Montgomery are some of my favourite authors.
Yeah, well I`ve read lots of books written by them, including 'Little Women', 'Good Wives', 'An old-fashioned girl ' , 'A garland of flowers', 'Eight Cousins', 'Jo`s Boys' and 'Plumfeld'. As for Montgomery, I suggest you read the 'Anne' series.
Oh, I have read the 'Anne' series. I absolutely love them!! :) I am so glad young people still read!
I haven't read all of Louisa May Alcott books, though.
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member