What other author are you reading at the moment?

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: What other author are you reading at the moment?

Post by sixret »

Hope you enjoy reading the book, Ben. :D
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I am reading a book that I suspect few of you would have come across. 'The Alvin Karpis Story' - he was
the last 'Public Enemy No 1' to be captured by the FBI. He spent many years in Alcatraz but was released in 1969. Details his life with Ma Barker's sons, 'Baby Face' Nelson, 'Pretty Boy' Floyd, Dillinger and many of the bank robbers of the early 1930s.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

sixret wrote:Hope you enjoy reading the book, Ben. :D
Thanks/diolch, Sixret.

I am so far :)
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Francis wrote:I am reading a book that I suspect few of you would have come across. 'The Alvin Karpis Story' - he was
the last 'Public Enemy No 1' to be captured by the FBI. He spent many years in Alcatraz but was released in 1969. Details his life with Ma Barker's sons, 'Baby Face' Nelson, 'Pretty Boy' Floyd, Dillinger and many of the bank robbers of the early 1930s.
Never been into bank robbers but occasionally I get the urge to read about the Mafia. I'm very particular though - must be 'vintage' US mafiosi - not interested in other types of gangster or modern gangsters. No idea why.

I am currently reading "Billy Bunter At Butlins" - (1961 First Edition DJ, HB). This was a real tie in with the Butlins holiday camps; a cheap "five bob" edition was available to buy at all Butlins camps.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Just back from a relaxing weeks holiday with plenty of time to read. After finishing the Journal I read through the autumn and winter chapters of Flora Thompson's "Country Calendar and other writings " beautifully written essays on natural history and rural matters. Then I started "Trouble at Melville Manor" by Mabel Esther Allan, a very good family story set in Cheshire in winter. It was first published in 1949 and was reprinted by Girls Gone By earlier this year. An excellent addition to their list.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

burlingtonbertram wrote
I am currently reading "Billy Bunter At Butlins" - (1961 First Edition DJ, HB). This was a real tie in with the Butlins holiday camps; a cheap "five bob" edition was available to buy at all Butlins camps.
I liked the book - especially as it featured one of my favourite characters (Horace Coker)! The dustwrapper on the dearer version is much superior to the cheaper 'Butlin' version.

The early 1930s bank robbers didn't get on with the Mafia - they regarded the rackets as boring and lacking the excitement of raiding banks and trains. The Mafia didn't like the 'heat' the bank robbers attracted from the Feds who couldn't be bought in the same way as local cops and sheriffs. Alvin Karpis feared being eliminated by the Mafia much more than he did the FBI.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Lovely chaps; all of 'em. :)

The Ornament Of The Fifth is a good character; although not quite up there with Loder or The Bounder.

Unfortunately, the plot of Billy Bunter at Butlins is not one of Frank Richards most original. Nice atmosphere though; always been quite taken with Butlins Camps of that 40's-60's period.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The Bounder is my favourite character in the Billy Bunter books.
Just finished The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore, a ghost story set in the East Riding of Yorkshire in the early 1950's. Her depiction of the deserted airfield brought back memories of the ones near me at Hemswell and Scampton where bombers took off regularly on their night time missions to Germany during WW2.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

'Billy Bunter's Beanfeast' has some excellent scenes featuring 'The Bounder' - also some great
'Coker' vignettes.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Not read that one; not surprising really given Richards was as prolific as Enid.

Just reading "Jennings Goes To School"; the first of the Jennings stories. How have I missed out on these until now? Very funny.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice. It's been due for a re-read for at least the last couple of years, but I decided I'd better finally get to it - partly for enjoyment, and partly as a refresher before I go on to read P.D. James's Death Comes to Pemberley! :D

Actually, I haven't started reading the novel itself yet - I'm still on the introduction in this edition (Wordsworth Classics), by one Ian Littlewood of the University of Sussex. For an introduction to a classic (how many incredibly boring introductions I had to battle through while doing A-level literature 15 years ago!), it's surprisingly good.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Ooh, enjoy Pride and Prejudice, Courtenay. I am right in the middle of a Jane Austen book: Emma. It's a lovely story, and I was just thinking at how I struggled with some of the vocabulary in some of the earlier Jane Austen books I read, but now, it doesn't seem half as bad, thank goodness! I distinctly remember carrying a dictionary around with me at one point (as I did with Wuthering Heights)!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh groan, don't mention Withering Heights... it's one of the ones I had to do for an A-level exam!! :shock:

So glad you're enjoying Emma. The first time I tried that one, it was an option for another literature course (at university); I read the first few chapters and decided I couldn't stand the woman, so I did my final essay on comparative poetry instead. But I came back to Emma a few years ago and just loved it. She's supposed to make your skin crawl at first, after all - and, like most Austen heroines, she learns some lessons in most fitting ways and comes out much better at the end. As with just about all of Jane's novels, too, there's a climactic twist a few chapters from the end that will have you on the edge of your seat. I seem to recall absolutely cracking up laughing, too, it was so good! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
burlingtonbertram

I can see the good qualities of Wuthering Heights; it's very atmospheric. I am glad I read it but I aren't sure that I would read it again. I don't actually like any of the characters; which never helps.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I actually haven't found Emma very annoying at all! Yes, she is quite forward and irresponsible at times, and she certainly doesn't wait to consider the consequences of her actions! But she isn't exactly horrible with it - she does have a heart that is clearly visible to the reader. And though it doesn't seem like it at times; she does learn from her mistakes (even just ever so slightly in some instances).

Ooh - a twist...? I'll look forward to that! :D

On the subject of Wuthering Heights; I don't think I actually finished it, but what I did read of it, was very descriptive and atmospheric. It really was an interesting read, but I think I lost track of things in the end and that put me off a bit.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member