Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The beauty of Deathly Hallows Part 1 is that it's gloriously unhurried and pared down, Spitfire, allowing plenty of time to linger and absorb and reflect. Worth a try if you get the chance.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

That's good to know, Anita. I suppose it makes sense, as the book contains an awful lot of waiting around and aimlessly (or so it would seem) moving from place to place, so the characters have a lot of time to think and worry!

I've always loved the magical world that Rowling's created and while I prefer the version in my head, I would have liked to have savoured the film version more. Hogwarts often seemed to be filmed at odd angles, with the camera swooping around or bearing down fast on one point. I would have liked to have looked and seen this wonderful magical world in all it's details on the screen without being distracted by odd camera angles and dramatic music. I don't even have the layout of the castle in my head properly. I would have loved more to have been made of the Great Hall with its enchanted ceiling, and of the House Elves, too. I do like the portrayal of Hagrid's home, and the Forbidden Forest though.

We do have both parts of Deathly Hallows so hopefully will get round to them before long.

Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Spitfire wrote:I don't even have the layout of the castle in my head properly. I would have loved more to have been made of the Great Hall with its enchanted ceiling, and of the House Elves, too. I do like the portrayal of Hagrid's home, and the Forbidden Forest though.
Consistency of layout isn't a strong point. New features were added to Hogwarts as the films went on, internal scenes were filmed in different locations and Hagrid's hut moved position! As you probably know, the whole of Hogwarts was never constructed - only parts of it. Whenever the complete building is shown, it's just a model.

I hope you enjoy Deathly Hallows if you get round to watching it.

Society Member
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

Moonraker wrote:Sorry? I don't follow...
It was a joke. I was stating my thoughts about how you and I could read the same books but see a completely different interpretation, almost as if we were reading different versions of the same books.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh I see! Of course, if you were reading a different book, that would explain it! :wink:
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

I think what I like about JK Rowling the most is she can give a magical twist to real-life issues. Even though it's a magical book, it has a realist feel to it if anyone knows what I'm trying to say. I think this is what makes her so successful and why so many people can relate to it, especially those who grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I understand what you mean Deej. Issues like the prejudice against muggle-borns and half-bloods can be likened to racism in the real world.

Harry's trouble with his adoptive family too, Ron coming from a large and happy but poor family, children not fitting in at school, bullies... All that sort of thing happens in the real world.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, I like that aspect of the books. The three main child characters may be learning magic and be destined to save the world, but that doesn't prevent them having the usual interests and worries of children/teenagers at secondary school - sports matches, exams, crushes, concerns about self-image...

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I was relieved that Harry and Hermione were never more than friends, I think it would have spoilt the books. Although I agree with the comments that Ginny's character wasn't perhaps as well developed as it might have been, I think her and Harry getting together was realistic. From the opinion I formed of her, I thought she was perfect for him. Much as I liked both Ron and Hermione, I can't see them ending up happily ever after if married, Ron would have always felt inferior to her, and eventually I think that would have split them up. I think he needed to marry someone more like his mother, and I think it's probable he wouldn't have wanted any children of his own. Much as he had a strong loyalty to his family, I think he would have wanted to have all the attention from his wife, and not have to share her with his children.
Deej wrote:I think what I like about JK Rowling the most is she can give a magical twist to real-life issues. Even though it's a magical book, it has a realist feel to it if anyone knows what I'm trying to say. I think this is what makes her so successful and why so many people can relate to it, especially those who grew up with Harry, Ron and Hermione.
That's one of the aspects that I like, but also dislike about the books. Having mostly read books like the FF, and The Adventure series where the children pretty much stay the same throughout the entire series, the first time I read the HP books, it was a bit of a shock seeing the children grow up, develop mood swings, crushes etc. Much more realistic of course, and once I'd got used to idea, I thought they were very well written. Much as I love Julian, Dick, Anne and George, they were perhaps just a little too good to be true at times. Just the odd sulk from George, but that was about it. I some ways I would have liked the HP to just be straightforward adventures about defeating Voldemort.

Interesting the comments about the muggle-borns being likened to racism in the real world. I'd never thought of that, I've always seen that part of the books in a past tense. To me it reminds me of the rounding up of the Jews in the lead up to WWII.

I think what I really liked about Harry Potter though, was that he was a weedy, glasses wearing kid with a scar on his head. Not a tall, dark heart throb. He was a good Quidditch player, but academically fairly average, in the same way, Hermione is very bright, but useless at sports and fairly average looking. Ron too I don't think was particularly striking in looks or brains, but it was his loyalty that was his strong point.
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I think Harry and Hermione should've been together. Hermione and Ron have hardly anything in common. Also, they fight all the time so that kind of says something. Also, I find it a tiny bit weird that Harry married his BESTEST friend's sister.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think Harry and Hermione should've been together.
Of course they should. You and I obviously read the same books, Abi! :wink:
Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

YAY!
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

I think many people would agree with you, Abi. J.K. Rowling herself said in an interview that she had made a mistake in pairing Harry with Ginny, and Ron with Hermione.
However, I disagree. I think Harry and Ginny are perfectly sweet pair, and so are Ron and Hermione. I LOVE the ending of Deathly Hallows.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

Farwa wrote: I think Harry and Ginny are perfectly sweet pair, and so are Ron and Hermione. I LOVE the ending of Deathly Hallows.
I agree with you.
I could never understand what evidence people imagined showed Harry and Hermione should get together. In the books I read it was always Ron who was concerned with Hermione ( see Azkaban and how he was worried about her sudden appearances) while Harry couldn't care less.
It was Ron who always reacted when Malfoy insulted Hermione.
It was Ron who was jealous of Viktor at the Yule Ball when he went with Hermione, while Harry couldn't care less who went to the ball with Hermione and was only concerned with who Cho went with.
It was Harry, who, when fighting with Ron, thought that there was a lot less fun and laughter when you were best friends with Hermione, only, and a lot more time spent in the library.
Did Hermione get upset with Harry when he went out with Cho and then Ginny? No she was happy for him, especially when he kissed Ginny after the Quiddich match. What did she do though, when Ron started dating Lav-Lav? Oh yes, she was angry, she cried, she sent a flock of birds on him and decided to try and make him jealous by going out with his Quiddich rival.
I think Harry put it best after Ron had destroyed the Horcrux and faced all his fears and insecurities.
"She's like a sister to me..."
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

I'm glad you agree with me, Snugglepot. Good references too. :)

P.S: And for those who think that Harry and Ginny couldn't be paired, it turns out that Ginny liked Harry from the start. Why else would she "stick her elbow in the butter dish" when Harry entered?(Chamber of Secrets)
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.